Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vote for the worst and best lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by dsf
Nowhere near as widely travelled as many, my vote for worst with BA is Bilbao BIO. Food selection on my visit was either squished sandwiches badly wrapped in cling film, crisps, or naff biscuits, and the room itself is stuck away in a corner of the terminal with only a view of piled up road furniture.

Contrary to the experiences of @vicstone in Japan, I absolutely loved the JL F lounge in HND.
I have not been to JL F Class Lounge at HND. It was ANA F Class Lounge at HND. I was there 3 days ago. I took some photos to prove it. It was a zoo!

Last edited by vicstone; Mar 15, 2019 at 10:05 am Reason: correction
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Worst (BA, and anyone): What pretended to pass for a lounge in TIP.
Although the old Saudia lounge in RUH was only useful because it got you away from the main terminal.
And many so-called lounges in the US for AA and UA - though I really do like the Flagship AA lounge in LAX.

Best: I think it's easy to underestimate the food in the BA T5 Flounge, and I like being there despite everything. The CX HK F lounges of course are excellent. And my home lounge in DAR, because while it has very little to recommend it, it's still just so much better than the rest of the airport...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:20 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
there isn't a Number 1 lounge at MAN
True, but there are some bad lounges here. Nothing on the scale of some of the worst worldwide, but having flown CX recently (OW relevance) out of T2 there is no good option that has natural light or space to breath. I wonder if it's any better in the Virgin lounge?
I was in KIX recently and the lounges there ranged from minimal (whatever CX got me) to risible (some lounges with just a few seats and a small fridge with a few soft drink cans in them, AMEX?).

Best: Pier F HKG, I rate it above CCR LHR. But there are lots of lounges other people rate e.g. LH and QA ones that I have never visited.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:29 am

Worst - Erbil. Went in to the lounge, got the wifi code, picked up some crisps, then went and sat outside, but within range of wifi.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:48 am

Best and worst lounges

Originally Posted by Definitas
Best, Virgin Clubhouse LHR
Worst, Chicago CW lounge ORD T5. Tiny grubby male toilet, uninspiring food, insufficient seating
Best: Totally agree with Virgin LHR. If it's Oneworld, the AA Flagship at ORD (amazing food variety and showers) takes some beating, though I do like the BA Gatwick South and BA at Edinburgh (both have plenty of space).
Worst: Again the CW lounge at ORD T5, (food - oh dear, though the staff really tried). If it's non-Oneworld the tiny 'lounge' in Brussels Charleroi takes the prize for best waste of a lounge pass (no alcohol, just some sweets as I recall, no windows, no staff, just some sofas in a room. No wonder they make you pay before you see it!)
henley likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by vicstone
Just arrived from Bangkok (Thai Airways) via Tokyo Haneda (ANA) to New York JFK. First Class should be very good. Not so!
Thai Airways in Bangkok - The best I have ever visited. They provided electric car to take me to that large lounge. You get your own rather large room with a desk, sitting area with a couch and side chairs, huge TV. You can dine there or go to a stunning restaurant at the end of the lounge. Lounge was mostly empty.
ANA First Class lounge at the gate 110 at Haneda airport - Huge lounge, at the entrance, left side had sitting booths and a restaurant (all booths were occupied, restaurant wait time was over 30 minutes - I did not like that). I went to the right at the entrance. It was difficult to find a seat, since it was completely occupied, food selection was mediocre. People were swarming over the food like locust. I have asked the staff if all those passengers were flying 1st Class. Apparently, they let everyone into that lounge, so the exclusivity of flying First Class was completely erased. I have seen many of that First Class Lounge visitors boarding my flight. They were sitting in Business and even Economy class. Many of them went to a First Class sleeve entrance boarding the plane just for show, and then followed to their seats in Business and Economy. Business and Economy had their own sleeve.
Last year, I have had similar experience when I flew with Japan Airlines via Narita - Overcrowded First Class Lounge. The staff member apologized and put me in the Business Class lounge that was less crowded.
It is a shame that Japanese Airline companies got it all wrong. In the future, if I fly First Class, I will avoid Japan.
Both ANA and JAL allow passengers into the first class lounges bases on status ANA for their own Diamond members, JAL for Emerald members. You will also find the horror of having non first class passengers in the Cathay Pacific first class lounges, Qantas first class lounges, BA Galleries F in T3 (Galleries F in T5 is really an Emerald lounge) and quite a few others Even the famed Lufthansa First Class terminal will see HON Circle members in economy class and business being let in.

That being said, the ANA Suite Lounge in Haneda does not have enough capacity to serve all of the Diamond members that ANA has, leading to a very mediocre experience. The base product is not great to to begin with and add the crowds and you have a very poor experience. For the the outstanding F products that ANA and JAL offer in the air, their lounge experiences are not up to scratch.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:07 pm

Worst has to be CPT at the moment. Heaving with people, aircon is struggling, dirty crockery everywhere. And then they call the LGW flight, seats become available, and there’s now some rice to go with the curry.... all is well with the world again.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:29 pm

I was once at T5 North, just to look out of the window, as I explained to the woman in charge. She tried to dissuade me even from doing that! I did go in, and agreed wholeheartedly with her, quickly exited southbound. Not recommended.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Best is the London Virgin Clubhouse because it offers kosher meals. Worst - most Delta Skyclubs that don't offer this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Best: Lounge hopping at LHR T3 CX for food, QR for the gin bar
​​​​Worst: STR. Claustrophobic, stuffy, no food
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold and various hotel programs (wishing they were all linked)
I really like the AA flagship lounges. The food is a good choice between comfort food and very healthy offerings. The showers are also normally first class. So my vote goes to LAX and ORD with ORD having first class dining with Krug. Perfect.

my least favourite is the BA lounge at LAS - the shower is in the men’s toilet. Just grim. Oddly I used to like the F lounge in the old LGW terminal because the staff were so ‘old school’ BA.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
All well and good, but until CWS posts, none of us here will ever REALLY know which the best and worst lounges are!

(also explains why NCL is well regarded, I'm sure it gets plenty of constructive feedback...)
CatchThePigeon and superweak like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Although I haven't been in many:

Worst: The 'temporary BA lounge' in Terminal D at DFW. Even the lady controlling entry apologised for it before I had even set foot inside (She was right!). It was dark, dingey and horrible with inedible snacks and no hot food. I hope the new one whenever it opens is a lot better (to be honest I quite liked the old one).

Best: Boston BA lounge - Everything the temporary DFW lounge wasn't.

BM
Seconded on the temporary DFW lounge, felt like a funeral home. Popped in their the other day and left immediately. On the other hand the modernised Admirals Club at the A gates was outstanding - tons of space, really nice light food and treats.

I think some of the comments on BGS and CX at PEK are a bit strong. Ok they’re not the Pier but not too bad compared to some of the lounges BA uses in Europe. My favourites are the two Pier lounges in HKG.

Surprised no one has mentioned the BA lounges at LGW - prefer them to anything BA has at LHR other than Concorde with great staff and views and loads of space.

Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: QF
Worst for me is easily Air Asia KUL lounge.

Best would be QF SIN but over the next 2 months I'm going to visit lots of lounges so this will probably change.

Most surprising was LA at SCL because of how few people were in it given that it's the head city for LA. Food was very basic but wine selection was good.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Not sure whether third party lounges can be included but my boss has just sent me a message moaning about the IST lounge.

i did warn him!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.