Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Left my luggage at the carousel - Miami airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I arrived with a BA 209 to MIA yesterday.
Unfortunately, I forgot to pick up one of my luggage.

Lost & Found at Miami airport says that because it has a luggage tag on it, it will be with the airline.

They sent me to the BA ticketing desk and they should start working shortly, but I doubt they will be able to help me - they will probably send me back to lost & found.

Any advice?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:49 am

Unclaimed luggage stays with the airline and gets logged against an on hand reference (similar format to a delayed bag reference eg MIABA12345) however it’s somewhat likely this will end up being logged by AA. Staff at the landside desk won’t be unfamiliar with people needing to claim their luggage, be it items they’ve left or delayed bags that have arrived but haven’t been couriered for whatever reason. You’ll need your bag tag and your passport to prove your identity but they should be able to help you retrieve it.

Last edited by travelsweets; Mar 15, 2019 at 10:50 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelsweets
Unclaimed luggage stays with the airline and gets logged against an on hand reference (similar format to a delayed bag reference eg MIABA12345) however it’s somewhat likely this will end up being logged by AA. Staff at the landside desk won’t be unfamiliar with people needing to claim their luggage, be it items they’ve left or delayed bags that have arrived but haven’t been couriered for whatever reason. You’ll need your bag tag and your passport to prove your identity but they should be able to help you retrieve it.
Unfortunately AA couldn’t help and they sent me to BA ticketing desk which should open soon.

I suspect for some reason that they won’t be able to help me either but lets see...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA most certainly can help you. Whether it does so is a different question.

As this was an international arrival, the bag is with BA. Whether it is still in MIA or has been returned to LHR is an open question. It would surprise me if BA had already done so.

But, neither L&F nor AA have anything to do with it.

Just be patient as BA will need to clear it through Customs and Customs may (depending on circumstances) wish to examine it or speak with you. If CBP does, just be honest about it. People make mistakes.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

Unfortunately AA couldn’t help and they sent me to BA ticketing desk which should open soon.

I suspect for some reason that they won’t be able to help me either but lets see...
AA won’t be able to help you, I just meant that depending on who gets around to logging the left luggage first, it could go against an AA reference instead of BA. I’ve seen the same happen at EWR when UA got to a BA bag first and it delayed things.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Uhhh . . . This is Miami. Safer to assume this bag and its contents have been sold and scattered across south Florida (and then if you do find it, it's a miracle!)
Redhead likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I am sure our staff can help you, please let us know how you get on?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I am sure our staff can help you, please let us know how you get on?
The staff at the airport have arrived at 1PM to start checking in passengers.
I walked up to the counter to ask for help and the lady was very friendly and they have indeed found my bag.

Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.