Wiki Posts
Search

Ord connection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Question Ord connection

HI

I have read other ORD connection but i don't think i have seen anyone with Global entry and TSA Pre check

I am flying Glasgow to London Heathrow , then London Heathrow to Chicago arrive 13:10 Terminal 5 . I then have a connection flight from terminal 3 at 15.10 Chicago to Tampa.

I have a connection time of 2 hour 5 minutes does this sound like a reasonable connecting time . I am planning on having checked luggage. I think having Global entry and Recheck should give me enough time although i am aware this i believe to Be last flight from Chicago to Tampa of the day.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
there is a thread on connecting at ORD on the AA board which I think you should have a look at.

One thing to be aware of is they are currently working on the inter terminal transport system so it is taking longer to get between the terminals as they are using buses
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Martyn c
HI

I have read other ORD connection but i don't think i have seen anyone with Global entry and TSA Pre check

I am flying Glasgow to London Heathrow , then London Heathrow to Chicago arrive 13:10 Terminal 5 . I then have a connection flight from terminal 3 at 15.10 Chicago to Tampa.

I have a connection time of 2 hour 5 minutes does this sound like a reasonable connecting time . I am planning on having checked luggage. I think having Global entry and Recheck should give me enough time although i am aware this i believe to Be last flight from Chicago to Tampa of the day.
I also have GE and Pre-Check and have found that going through Immigration and Customs is very quick. Recheck is also fast. You just shove your already-tagged bag into the Recheck area and continue walking.

Before you leave, make sure you know the logistics of getting from International Arrivals to your departing terminal. Don't just figure it out when you get there.

In my opinion, you will be OK with that connection time if your incoming flight is on time. If it's late, then all bets are off. My suggestion to you is to line up alternatives that you can put in place should your incoming flight be delayed: Know what hotel you could stay in, know the next-day Tampa flights.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Also be aware that at this time of year, ORD can be snowed in with significant weather delays.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks

I Notice the People mover is closed and isn't open until the fall . They have got buses in but there departing every 10/15 minutes. I have been trying to look at map of airport so i know were i am going.

I forgot to day i am planning on flying in the summer in July so hopefully no snow at that time.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:50 pm

You should be fine, but if you're flying out on AA, beware that Terminal 3 is the third and last stop on the shuttle bus route from T5. You might want to look into whether you can take a taxi or Uber from T5 to T3.

Looking at a random weekday in July, it looks like there's also a flight to Tampa at 6:40 pm, you might want to double-check that the 3:10 pm flight is actually the last one of the day.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Thanks

I Notice the People mover is closed and isn't open until the fall . They have got buses in but there departing every 10/15 minutes. I have been trying to look at map of airport so i know were i am going.

I forgot to day i am planning on flying in the summer in July so hopefully no snow at that time.
Snow won't be an issue but thunderstorms might.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:51 pm
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Thanks

I Notice the People mover is closed and isn't open until the fall . They have got buses in but there departing every 10/15 minutes.
Last few times I've been there on United either transferring or going to T2 for the El-Train downtown the buses have been running continuously, even in bad weather it was a case of the line continuously shuffling forward as buses kept pulling up. When you exit customs head right towards the end of the terminal building for the transit buses.

Before I had GE I'd refuse connections less than 3 hours in ORD, even with the transit running, 2 hours with no delay is comfortable with GE, bags took about 20 minutes last week.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks

It's a great deal more frequent than every 10 minutes. It's more like one every 3 minutes in peak time. I wonder if you are looking at the previous inter-terminal bus system, which was often used by those with either physical limitations or going on to parts of the airport complex not served by the people-mover / transit.

BA use gates M11 or M12 typically at ORD, and as you follow the passageways to CBP, one line of Tensa - the middle one - is used by GE users. There is an airport agent directing people accordingly. As you approach the main hall, GE is actually further on from the main area, so I'm not sure why they use the middle lane, since the left lane needs to cross over, but anyway. Then the machines are at the top of the hall, you only need to go left or right to an agent if you get a X, if not you get 2 slips if a non resident USA or Canadian citizen, the first includes your photo. You then go to the baggage hall area, there are usually two exit points staffed by the CBP, so go to the quietest one and hand over the photo slip and retain the other slip. In other words ORD still has the traditional customs check which has been removed from other airports. Obviously if you had an X and didn't get to speak to an agent earlier then this is where you would be found out.

Once you go through the double doors to be fully landside, swing rightwards for the transit bus service. It is sign posted and you end up in a porta-cabin like structure after the terminal doors but before the kerbside. The distance here is very short, perhaps 40 metres. This portacabin basically allows a queuing system to get on the next bus but sheltered against the elements. If you are tight for timing an agent there - there are lots of them - will push you towards the front of the line. On Saturday as I was boarding my bus (I was heading for the Chicago metro, not transferring), the next bus was opening its doors to take the next load of passengers and a third bus was pulling into the area. So you will not be waiting long. The buses aren't exactly state of the art, so a bit of a bone shaker with insufficient baggage space and a high platform.

The problem then is that the bus has to loop around the road system and that takes a good 10 minutes to get to T1, then anticlockwise to T2 and presumably the one you want, namely T3 for American. From T3 to T5, to complete the loop, only takes a few minutes since the road network works better in that direction.

This is a lot more detail than you need, which is simply bear right as you get to landside in T5 and follow the signs to the bus. Count on 20 minutes to get to T3 and it may be a bit less.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's a great deal more frequent than every 10 minutes. It's more like one every 3 minutes in peak time. I wonder if you are looking at the previous inter-terminal bus system, which was often used by those with either physical limitations or going on to parts of the airport complex not served by the people-mover / transit.

BA use gates M11 or M12 typically at ORD, and as you follow the passageways to CBP, one line of Tensa - the middle one - is used by GE users. There is an airport agent directing people accordingly. As you approach the main hall, GE is actually further on from the main area, so I'm not sure why they use the middle lane, since the left lane needs to cross over, but anyway. Then the machines are at the top of the hall, you only need to go left or right to an agent if you get a X, if not you get 2 slips if a non resident USA or Canadian citizen, the first includes your photo. You then go to the baggage hall area, there are usually two exit points staffed by the CBP, so go to the quietest one and hand over the photo slip and retain the other slip. In other words ORD still has the traditional customs check which has been removed from other airports. Obviously if you had an X and didn't get to speak to an agent earlier then this is where you would be found out.

Once you go through the double doors to be fully landside, swing rightwards for the transit bus service. It is sign posted and you end up in a porta-cabin like structure after the terminal doors but before the kerbside. The distance here is very short, perhaps 40 metres. This portacabin basically allows a queuing system to get on the next bus but sheltered against the elements. If you are tight for timing an agent there - there are lots of them - will push you towards the front of the line. On Saturday as I was boarding my bus (I was heading for the Chicago metro, not transferring), the next bus was opening its doors to take the next load of passengers and a third bus was pulling into the area. So you will not be waiting long. The buses aren't exactly state of the art, so a bit of a bone shaker with insufficient baggage space and a high platform.

The problem then is that the bus has to loop around the road system and that takes a good 10 minutes to get to T1, then anticlockwise to T2 and presumably the one you want, namely T3 for American. From T3 to T5, to complete the loop, only takes a few minutes since the road network works better in that direction.

This is a lot more detail than you need, which is simply bear right as you get to landside in T5 and follow the signs to the bus. Count on 20 minutes to get to T3 and it may be a bit less.
Thank for the information it was really helpful . Do u think it would be easier getting off at Terminal 1 either walk to terminal 3 go through security or go through security at Terminal 1 then walk to Terminal 3

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Looking at a random weekday in July, it looks like there's also a flight to Tampa at 6:40 pm, you might want to double-check that the 3:10 pm flight is actually the last one of the day.
I had look ur right the last flight is at 6.40 pm
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank for the information it was really helpful . Do u think it would be easier getting off at Terminal 1 either walk to terminal 3 go through security or go through security at Terminal 1 then walk to Terminal 3
I would definitely stay on the bus from T1 to T3 rather than get off at T1 (there is another option, which is to use the underground tunnel from T3 to T1, or walk through the carpark on the upper level, neither are worth doing). The slow bit is T5 to T3, from T3 to T1 won't take more than a few minutes.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Given this thread is now open I have a 3h20m connection through ORD that I have a few questions about if I hit disruption or delays.

It is on one BA Holidays 125 ticket, BA codes on AA metal.

I assume can re-check my luggage at ORD T5 after customs? Is there a cut-off time before the flight for this?

I'm also assuming I should still head for the gate pretty much until departure time if delayed?

There is one more flight the same day if I miss mine. What is the best way to rebook? Call BA Holidays duty desk? Go to a specific AA desk at ORD T3?

If I also miss the last flight or it’s full and I have to go next day should I ask BA Holidays to book me a hotel room? Or as it is AA metal is it book it myself and claim on travel insurance?

It feels unlikely now but if I have a time change that allows re-routing would the connection through PHL be easier?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal

I assume can re-check my luggage at ORD T5 after customs? Is there a cut-off time before the flight for this?

So to be clear, it sounds like you arriving into ORD on BA, but departing on AA domestically. If you are arriving into ORD on AA then this doesn't make sense. Yes, after baggage reclaim and after you hand your customs slip at the checkpoint out of the hall, there is an area for rechecking baggage. There are two channels out, and the recheck area is in a cross-corridor between the two but before you get to the final door to landside. So if you are in the left channel, look right, and look left if in the right channel, it's clearly signed. They don't operate a cut off. Some people prefer to take their bags with them, but given the bus situation it's probably best not to encourage that.

I'm also assuming I should still head for the gate pretty much until departure time if delayed?

There is one more flight the same day if I miss mine. What is the best way to rebook? Call BA Holidays duty desk? Go to a specific AA desk at ORD T3?
If it's a few hour delay I would in the first instance go to the AA desks in T5, they are totally experienced in rebooking people there (it's all they ever do!). If you had a choice on the matter I would go to the Admirals Club and do it there, assuming you have access rights, but any agent would be able to resolve this fairly swiftly. But as ever, it's good to have the BA Holidays 24 hour helpdesk number handy, and Skype enabled for wifi on your Smartphone.

If I also miss the last flight or it’s full and I have to go next day should I ask BA Holidays to book me a hotel room? Or as it is AA metal is it book it myself and claim on travel insurance?
It's AA's job to do this, but you may get a better hotel option if you called BA Holidays. AA tend to use hotels like Holiday Inn Express or some such, perfectly fine for a brief night, the only problem being if there are mass irrops and their hotels are miles away. Or you can book your own (there are many decent hotels in Rosemont, very close to the airport) and claim back after the event from BA, the guideline is not to go over £200 per night but that normally isn't too difficult. Have a few hotel Apps on your smartphone (e.g. Hilton and IHG).

It feels unlikely now but if I have a time change that allows re-routing would the connection through PHL be easier?
Yes, PHL is definitely easier. Personally that would be my choice, since I've only had good experiences there, but there are some FTers who find the passport experience at PHL to be bad.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold and various hotel programs (wishing they were all linked)
I flew in on BA to ORD connecting to AA to FLL last Saturday. It took about 2 hours to clear immigration as there were only 2 officers on duty and a few flights landing st once. The connection on the buses was seemless and didn’t take long.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by henley
I flew in on BA to ORD connecting to AA to FLL last Saturday. It took about 2 hours to clear immigration as there were only 2 officers on duty and a few flights landing st once. The connection on the buses was seemless and didn’t take long.
Well, that shows up the value of GE + HBO then: I was also on BA295 on Saturday to ORD, I was in my hotel room in downtown Chicago exactly one hour after landing, and I took the connection bus and then metro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.