Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold status and Avios seat availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Gold status and Avios seat availability

Hi. I'm wondering whether to push my TP's to 1500 to gain Gold. The main reason to do this is to potentially take advantage of extra First Avios availability? I'll mostly be looking for two seats. Having spoken to a few people it seems that there may be not much extra availability between silver and gold? Is it
​​​​particular routes etc? Very wide ranging question I know! Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I think its just extra Y availability isn't it
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:46 am

So far as I can tell extra availability is only in WT.

The main thing is double-points for normal retail availability.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I knew that. Maybe I was being optimistic!
​​​
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Thanks. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I knew that. Maybe I was being optimistic!
​​​
I can't remember as I've only used once - and that was Domestic CE on Boxing Day (hideous waste!!) - but you can double your Avios for extra availability - I assume this includes F ?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Extra Avios availability is indeed only in Y - which can be very useful on short-haul in particular: I very rarely struggle to find availability for European redemptions in Y.

The 'double points' thing works across all classes and can be an excellent way to save cash - typically to force double points redemption on short-haul Y where there is peak demand and high cash prices...on those redemptions, even 'double' points doesn't dent the Avios balance much and you can save a small fortune. I've done for Munich during Oktoberfest, for example - saving literally £700 on the cash price for Y...

The double points thing would work for First, but at those redemption rates you'd need a serious Avios balance to make it worth doing. You also cannot combine a double points redemption with an Amex 2-4-1 so it would quite literally be double the normal First redemption rates (plus taxes).
likethis likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ratypus
Extra Avios availability is indeed only in Y - which can be very useful on short-haul in particular: I very rarely struggle to find availability for European redemptions in Y.

The 'double points' thing works across all classes and can be an excellent way to save cash - typically to force double points redemption on short-haul Y where there is peak demand and high cash prices...on those redemptions, even 'double' points doesn't dent the Avios balance much and you can save a small fortune. I've done for Munich during Oktoberfest, for example - saving literally £700 on the cash price for Y...

The double points thing would work for First, but at those redemption rates you'd need a serious Avios balance to make it worth doing. You also cannot combine a double points redemption with an Amex 2-4-1 so it would quite literally be double the normal First redemption rates (plus taxes).
I’d so love to use these rotting companion vouchers with double points.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA : BA
The gold reward on long haul only makes sense where there is a big enough fare difference, so typically Xmas or peak holidays,

I did the calculation for some Caribbean flights, and taking into account the lost Avios compared to a cash booking, worked out at 0.51p per Avios. Plus it would have cost 250,000 per ticket.

The high YQ fees work against you here.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to clarify, though it is in the Stickies in some detail:

- Gold Priority Reward - double Avios to force an award - this applies to all cabins from First to EuroTraveller, but it does require revenue availability. It has to be booked 30 days before travel, can be cancelled if main redemptions become available. At 30 days generally you would be able to get availability on (made up statistic alert) 80% plus of flights, somewhere. You have to call up for this.

- Extra redemption Availability to Gold cardholders - this is just opening up revenue bucket to Golds in the usual way, including for RFS. It easily doubles availability on shorthaul EuroTraveller, up to about a week before departure and away from school holidays. This is for EuroTraveller and Wold Traveller only in revenue V class, if you have ExpertFlyer you can find these quite easily. This is automatic via MMB or the App, you will see availability online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.