Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong gate renumbering - effective 28 March 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

Cathay Pacific has a news item about a forthcoming renumbering of some gates at HKG. This takes effect on Thursday 28 March 2019.

This is of relevance to BA passengers, because BA32 (the 380) often/usually departs from what is currently gate 15, and BA28 (the 777) often/usually departs from what is currently gate 16.

Gates 15 to 22 will become gates 5 to 12. This means that if BA32 uses the same gate it will be gate 5, and BA28 at gate 6.
Gate renumbering at Hong Kong International Airport

Effective from Thursday, 28 March 2019, gates 15 to 22 in Terminal 1 will be renumbered as gates 5 to 12. Please note that our lounge, The Deck, will subsequently be addressed at Gate 6 (currently addressed at Gate 16).

Further changes will be made in the North Satellite Concourse, following the completion of the Sky Bridge that connects Terminal 1 and the North Satellite Concourse in 2020.

Passengers are advised to check the location of the departure gate here if you are flying from any of the renumbered gates. For more information, please visit Hong Kong International Airport.
If you use the map linked to from that article, you will need to change the floor to L6 to see the departure gates.
orbitmic and Prospero like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
A map with the full renumbering -
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I can't say I ever noticed before, but I wonder why they skipped 5-14 originally.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by dcmike
I can't say I ever noticed before, but I wonder why they skipped 5-14 originally.
They were the bus gates before the North Satellite was built.
dcmike likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC
I wonder if there is any practical point to renumbering the gates. A gate number is just number, and nothing is moving, but there is a lot of work I imagine in updating maps/signs etc. But what is the renumbering accomplishing? I can see some upcoming confusion though as what is soon to become gate 12 is nowhere near the new gate 13. On one side it'll jump from gate 12 to 24, and on the other from 11 to 23. Doesn't seem overly logical. At least the 500 series gates were clearly somewhere else.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Jane's Addiction likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1010101
Originally Posted by dcmike
They were the bus gates before the North Satellite was built.
OT, but was there originally a gate 14? I notice that the new plan does not have that number (although there will still be 4 and 44, amongst others).
dcmike and DoctorCopper like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab
I wonder if there is any practical point to renumbering the gates. A gate number is just number, and nothing is moving ...
I'd actually add to that: the current layout of numbers serves a zoning purpose.

Gates 01-04 are all in one zone (the southern arm). Gates 15-19 are all in another (the northern arm). The 20s and 30s all run along the main spine, and the two legs have 40s/50s and 60s/70s respectively. Knowing the gate number instantly tells you the area of the building in which its located, even if you then have to look for its precise location.

It's similar to the layout at T5. The 00s, 10s and 20s are all in T5A, 30s and 40s are all in T5B (and all of the 30s are on the west side of the building and all of the 40s on the east side). Similarly, T5C houses the 50s on one side and the 60s on the other.

The HKG renumbering will now rather undermine a large part of that zoning.
kaka and Jane's Addiction like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
BA32 is now operated by the 77W, while BA28 is now the A380

Not sure if they will revert back for the Summer schedule
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Well this seems like a totally pointless exercise...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sozee
BA32 is now operated by the 77W, while BA28 is now the A380

Not sure if they will revert back for the Summer schedule
Yes, it will revert - or, at least, there has been absolutely no sign of the swap being made for NS 2019, and it would now be really late in the day to start introducing chaos.

Because this gate renumbering takes effect just a couple of days before NS 2019 begins, I didn't include this refinement in the OP.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
OT, but was there originally a gate 14? I notice that the new plan does not have that number (although there will still be 4 and 44, amongst others).
No, there was never a gate 9 or 14. Something to do with wanting even numbers of gates on the north and south concourse but i don't know why they chose to drop those specific numbers. Gate 20 wasn't there before either.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't that because certain numbers in Cantonese are considered unlucky, 14 specifically (although 4 is too as I believe its associated with death)

I noticed when i first went there years ago and noticed in the lift and having been back quite a few times since it's very common.
our_kid and BearX220 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:43 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Perhaps the airport operators found they hadn't spent the amount they'd budgeted for signage, and this was the only way to rectify that!

M
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
1) 21/22 is changed to 11/12? whatttttt thats gonne be so confusing (12-19 is bad but not as bad)
2) i thought 9 was always there down there but i may be wrong...
3) this is done to facilitate the footbridge for the northern satellite? utterly foolish id say - gate 13-22? that would take u 5 mins more than 23-28
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Did you see the part where they’re building a new bridge to the current satellite terminal? Once that’s built it will be walkable from the main terminal. So they want the numbering to be consistent so that people know they don’t need to catch a bus or train to that part of the airport, and so that the numbering follows the pattern of radiating from the point of entry to the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.