Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong gate renumbering - effective 28 March 2019

Hong Kong gate renumbering - effective 28 March 2019

Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PETER01
Isn't that because certain numbers in Cantonese are considered unlucky, 14 specifically (although 4 is too as I believe its associated with death)
Yes, which is why it's no surprise to see no gate 14 now (and no surprise that there was no gate 14 before). It's a little more surprising that having apparently acknowledged this about 14, there are gates 4, 24 and 44 (in particular).
PETER01 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:06 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes, which is why it's no surprise to see no gate 14 now (and no surprise that there was no gate 14 before). It's a little more surprising that having apparently acknowledged this about 14, there are gates 4, 24 and 44 (in particular).
I think back in 1998 when the airport was commissioned skipping “4” wasn’t as prevalent as it is now. If you look at buildings built around that time in HK they mostly don’t skip those numbers. These days they are routinely skipped.

Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
14 is considered more unlucky because it can be pronounced in a way that transliterates to "will certainly die", rather than 4 which is just "die".

Note that the NSC renumbering does not take effect until the bridge from the main concourse is built. The only changes happening at the end of the month are renumbering 15-22 to 5-12. The NSC gates will remain numbered 501+ (reflecting the fact that the bus to the NSC continues to leave from level 5).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:03 pm

Not sure about Cantonese, but in Mandarin the number 4 is unlucky however no-one I know cares about 14.

Could just be random that 14 was left out:
https://www.checkerboardhill.com/201...ate-numbering/

"Gate 9 and 14 didn’t fit into the ’10 gates on the north and south concourse’ pattern."
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
4,14,44 all bad news in Cantonese and Mandarin. Simplistically, putting two words together creates 'very ****'', so 44 is 'very dead'.

Thats is why in many Chinese owned buildings, especially hotels and apartment blocks there is often no numbered 4th or 14th Floor, even if there is obviously a 4th or 14th Floor.

Nicc HK.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Will they also remove the signs pointing to gates up to 80 when there are not and have never been any gates numbered beyond 71?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

This is an interesting blog post that explains the history of HKG gate numbering.

https://www.checkerboardhill.com/201...ate-numbering/

Will they also remove the signs pointing to gates up to 80 when there are not and have never been any gates numbered beyond 71?
It seems according to the blog post, that they just liked the idea of having signs that said "1-80"
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
4,14,44 all bad news in Cantonese and Mandarin. Simplistically, putting two words together creates 'very ****'', so 44 is 'very dead'.

Thats is why in many Chinese owned buildings, especially hotels and apartment blocks there is often no numbered 4th or 14th Floor, even if there is obviously a 4th or 14th Floor.

Nicc HK.
I'm not superstitious so I don't get the whole 4, 14, etc. as being unlucky because it sounds like another word, but I find it amusing that people are worried about those numbers but not the number 5, which is very bad in Chinese numerology. Guess people pick the superstition they prefer. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:38 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

I also wonder how Norman Foster feels about how HK has messed up his masterpiece. From being an airy streamlined airport experience, to being the base for a bunch of bolt-ons which aren't entirely sympathetic to the original architecture.

Additionally, the roof of the airport is pretty dirty these days - I don't think there's ever been an effort to clean it.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Agreed on superstition. Though I thought 5 could be both good and bad, in that it relates to the 5 elements (good side) and relating to 'without' on the bad side. Bit like 7 can be both depending on situation.

Agreed on airport experience. Exiting immigration HKIA becomes a shopping nightmare straight out of Heathrow's dreams, and the recent construction on the upper level in the food halls, well no need to comment. Horrible.

Last edited by Nicc HK; Mar 14, 2019 at 9:59 pm
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Traditionally in Hong Kong only 13/14 is skipped and that's it (90s and before when private residential buildings weren't that tall). 4, 24, 34 are kept so you only skip 2 numbers out of maybe 30ish floors of a block.
as buildings grew taller they skip all sort of numbers as the developer sees fit. 1 building recently skipped x4. 4x, 5x and 7x so they can sell a few flats on 88th floor.

However, HKIA (in 1998) only skipped 14 with clever planning of the gates (well, along with 9, 37-39, 5x).

Now they are just messing with it so it would feel like their beloved NSC is part of the main concourse, which is, of course, an effing con.

Had you need to go from 4 to old 19 (or 1/2 to old 19... 4 is on the far end of the arm and most people wont go there; 1/2 is where the CX lounge is... and its common for CX flight to leave at old gate 17-19/ new 7-9), it would be obvious that it may take you some time. 1/2 to new 7-9, not so obvious.
Same applies to new 12 to new 13 via the footbridge (and new 12 to 23 neighbouring gate)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
This actually seems to make a lot of sense.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fairhsa
This actually seems to make a lot of sense.
it does?! once u reach a dead end (like 4, 19, 51,71) continuity doesnt matter already.

except i would think if you are at gate 1 you would think 15 is quite a bit of walk away- if you end up there in 2 minutes (like 1 to 21) then thats a bonus

all for the exception for 19to21. (20 was a stopgap from 2006ish)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.