Search

Upgrade Button Appears in App...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:46 am
ASI
Original Poster

Upgrade Button Appears in App...

Hi all,

Per the title really - I have a long-haul flight on Sunday, and after a short period following opening, the BA app shows my seat allocation, the change seat icon and the upgrade icon.

When i I click the upgrade icon, the in-app ‘web browser’ appears, and the conventional MMB page loads with no offer.

Anyone experience this before...? I’d be inclined to upgrade if the offer makes sense!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ASI
Hi all,

Per the title really - I have a long-haul flight on Sunday, and after a short period following opening, the BA app shows my seat allocation, the change seat icon and the upgrade icon.

When i I click the upgrade icon, the in-app ‘web browser’ appears, and the conventional MMB page loads with no offer.

Anyone experience this before...? I’d be inclined to upgrade if the offer makes sense!
I find that happens all the time, it's been a long time since there's actually been a proper upgrade offer for me, it just takes me to the website and then it's an extortionate amount to upgrade, generally the fare difference, or it says it's not possible.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BA GGL
It happens loads. There's most likely no upgrade available.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There isn't anything new here. Some tickets won't offer this button since they are not upgradeable via Self Serve (e.g. corporate tickets, foreign currency). All this button does is lead you to the same back-end of BA.com, and right at the bottom you will see the Upgrade options for cash or Avios in the normal way. If you are in Self Serve then in theory a fare difference upgrade should show, which unless your ticket was booked in a high fare bucket will be expensive.

And obviously if you were not using the App but BA.com MMB instead then you'd be in exactly the same place.

If either a POUG or an AppUp was showing (see Dashboard) then you don't get the blue star button, instead you get the Limited Time offer button, images in the threads referenced. That may be more interesting. And BA.com MMB will also show the same sort of thing, but the Limited Time aspect is a little easier to spot due to the rolling banner at the top.

I'm not aware of any substantial changes in this area in the last year, other than that BA have made some efforts to keep more bookings in Self Serve. If you are not in Self Serve you can still get a fare difference change, it just needs a call to the Contact Centre or Ticketing Agent at the airport to do the calculations. Or you could use tools such as ITA Matrix / ExpertFlyer to work it out for yourself.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:48 am
ASI
Original Poster

Thanks all! My memory was that this button only appeared when a POUG was available - sadly not the case!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's bizarre that the behaviour of that button is to just take you to MMB on the msite. It's been doing that for years - I'm really surprised they haven't gotten around to fixing that functionality yet. Even if it just deep-linked straight to the upgrade page (whether there was a special offer or not), it would be a huge improvement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.