Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

US Customs forms not handed out BA279 yesterday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Customs forms not handed out BA279 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Arrived with wife in SAN on the 28th Feb, got handed form, advised by CC that it wasn't needed for Esta which we were travelling on. No APC machines, so filled out form which was then totally ignored by CBP and invisible customs agents.

Also found it odd that CBP appeared to use facial recognition rather than scanning passports, unless they scanned passports via NFC while they were sitting on the desk.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Also, for those with lounge access, there's usually a stash of forms at the customer service desk so there's an opportunity to get them before departure. The CBP also has a fillable PDF form that can be completed online, printed off, and presented upon arrival. The form can be found here: https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/f...glish-fillable
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Had the forms on my SJC in February (in Club) so I suspect the crew.

Did not have the forms on my ATL in January since "our station manager said we didn't need them".

Agree it's a mix. I've been given them on my ATL's but not used.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
... welcome to the land of inconsistencies!

What I don't understand at BWI is that there is a lane for those with no visas - which always seems to have a healthy queue!

At DFW - a few years ago they separated non-US residents from US-residents - contrary to the legal status of GC holders. A couple of months ago it had changed - including just waiving everyone through customs without any checks/forms.

Essentially it seems to be what ever takes their fancy that day (and maybe even that hour....) .
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I agree that some crew get mixed up, my favourite is when crew hand out landing cards on UK domestic flights. Or once, on a LHR-DUB service.
On a British Qatari flight, UK landing cards were distributed on LHR-WAW.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Confirmed
No form was collected at JFK T7.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yet a third thread on exactly the same topic, which has nothing to do with BA.

First, the issue has nothing to do with different states. CBP is a purely federal function.
Second, the US is phasing out the use of paper forms and increasingly, they will not be distributed. Eventually gone and done with as they serve to purpose.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:45 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Not handing out forms is clearly a mistake.

Honestly though in your case you should have accepted the form. It's faster than saying no, which means it saves time for everyone involved.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Two data points: JFK doesn't require forms even for those on first time ESTA / any type of visa while EWR was collecting them in February (and presumably still is) — I think it's very much a city/airport-dependent thing at this point
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Le Club Accor Hotels Silver, Marriott Gold
Crew arrivng into the US normally have to complete a crew members declaration. In SJC they do not have to do this, maybe that’s where the confusion arose.

To be honest with each state/airport having different rules in the US it’s easy for a mistake to happen. Unless it says in the briefing pack no customs forms required I normally hand them out.

Just one last point, you would be surprised how many times I walk down the aisle handing out customs forms only for passengers to tell me they don’t need a landing card. People seem to confuse the US customs forms with an immigration landing card.

Last edited by bhdcommuter; Mar 14, 2019 at 5:53 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Red, HH Gold
In IAD last December none of the European arrivals appeared to have CBP forms, flights from Asia still did
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Also, for those with lounge access, there's usually a stash of forms at the customer service desk so there's an opportunity to get them before departure. The CBP also has a fillable PDF form that can be completed online, printed off, and presented upon arrival. The form can be found here: https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/f...glish-fillable
Annoyingly I get this result on both Mac and iPad ... and I've just ensured I have the latest version of Adobe Reader!

Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Annoyingly I get this result on both Mac and iPad ... and I've just ensured I have the latest version of Adobe Reader!
I get the same message but if you click the download button (latest Firefox on Mac) the document downloads correctly. The button on the first page does say download.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I have to say it’s the Americans making it difficult, why does each state make its own rules up?
JFK no longer require them for anyone, most cities that have APC kiosks only require them for visa holders (not B1 and B2) and anyone using a new ESTA, it’s a mine field.
We needed them in December at JFK T7, all the APC machines were ‘roped off’.
I ended up filling the customs form as I queued.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
I have not flown to the USA on BA, but I can say that AA don't hand out forms as everything is done on the machines when you arrive and you take the printout to the immigration officer with your passport. That's for ESTA and non-ESTA alike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.