Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No BA waiver for 125 ticketed AA 737MAX flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR

Called BA this morning to reroute a ticket (outbound flown) where the return is on a 737MAX tomorrow.

Seemingly no commercial waiver policy in place (yet?) and full change fees and fare difference applies.

Serious case of putting commercial interests first when BAs own regulator has effectively grounded the aircraft type!

Seems all discretion has been removed from even duty managers at the GGL line (who were as polite and helpful as always) and they are afraid of a “chargeback” to their budget if they waive the fees. ☹️
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
WOW. Given that the UK doesn't even allow these aircraft flyover rights nor AFAIK ferry flights out of the country, it seems that if it's a safety issue, one should be allowed to change the flight for free if its a ticket on a UK airline, even if the flight is being operated in a place and by a carrier where it's legal.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
Called BA this morning to reroute a ticket (outbound flown) where the return is on a 737MAX tomorrow.

Seemingly no commercial waiver policy in place (yet?) and full change fees and fare difference applies.

Serious case of putting commercial interests first when BAs own regulator has effectively grounded the aircraft type!

Seems all discretion has been removed from even duty managers at the GGL line (who were as polite and helpful as always) and they are afraid of a “chargeback” to their budget if they waive the fees. ☹️
Given there has been no ruling on what caused the ET crash, and that the FAA (under which AA operates) has not imposed any restrictions, then why would BA offer to change at no cost? Not only is this an AA problem, not BA, and not to sound harsh, but for all we know, you are panicking in wanting to change your flight. (Note, I am not supporting keeping those birds in the air at all cost but let’s let the professionals decide)

I am sure that BA would happily change if AA compensated them for doing so, but given there is nothing forcing AA to do so, then I am afraid that there is nothing to do about it
windchaser777 and irishguy28 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This is up to AA not BA. AA have not grounded their fleet of 737 MAXs yet and therefore are not providing any waiver for rebooking to any of their passengers. I think your only option is to cancel and rebook if you feel strongly about it.

BA's regulators (CAA/EASA) are completely irrelevant I am afraid.

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 13, 2019 at 8:15 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In the absence of specific information on the sectors involved, I would suggest either using AA's Same Day Change provision, or given the outbound has been flown, play around with ExpertFlyer to find some alternative with suitable fare buckets going, where the cost of changing would be acceptable.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:15 am

In an interesting (but not unexpected move), my employer has just instructed our corporate TA not to ticket any future reservations that include 737MAX sectors. Any forthcoming booked 737MAX sectors on any carrier must be rebooked to alternative aircraft, airlines or cancelled if the 737MAX cannot be avoided.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Flying AA on a 737Max is likely to be safe.

Their pilots have a Max Simulator, are fully aware of MCAS issue and are as well trained as any pilots in the world.

Having said that, if you do not wish to fly the 737Max right now, I fully understand and would say that money should be no object in your avoidance of that airplane.

Another option would be to use Frequent Flier miles to book your return flight on AA (or Avios as the case maybe).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rossmacd
In an interesting (but not unexpected move), my employer has just instructed our corporate TA not to ticket any future reservations that include 737MAX sectors. Any forthcoming booked 737MAX sectors on any carrier must be rebooked to alternative aircraft, airlines or cancelled if the 737MAX cannot be avoided.
My employer has stated that staff can opt to change their travel arrangements to avoid MAX aircraft.
rossmacd and stewaran like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where's your employer located?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where's your employer located?
Registered in London, but let's just say we operate in practically every country around the world.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Registered in London, but let's just say we operate in practically every country around the world.
SIS
stuart_f, EDIwanderer and rossmacd like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Interflora?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mnhusker
Flying AA on a 737Max is likely to be safe.
Really? I do not see how AA pilots would be any safer than any others if it is a problem with the aircraft that is not recoverable by even trained pilots. At this stage no one knows what the cause(s) or contributory factors for the recent crashes are.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK

I am not supporting keeping those birds in the air at all cost but let’s let the professionals decide
To a degree, they have by grounding the aircraft almost everywhere else pending further investigation. That decision is not made lightly.

And given that a certain US President was apparently having talks with Boeing over the weekend (according to news reports that I cannot now find) one wonders what, if any 'deal' may have been done between the US's largest aeroplane manufacturer and the US Govt's governing body for aviation safety.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
........ (Note, I am not supporting keeping those birds in the air at all cost but let’s let the professionals decide).......
For what it’s worth I am a pilot and I trust the decision made by the professionals at EASA and the CAA (who have no political or commercial relationship with Boeing).

I will be changing my flight, the cost isn’t the issue (but thanks for the advice / suggestions), I just think it’s unacceptable on a 125 (CAA regulated airline) ticket.

Its highly likely my 737 flight will operate safely and be uneventful, but that’s not the basis on which aviation safety should operate.
stewaran, Intl359Widget and PAL62V like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.