Wiki Posts
Search

Ex EU ARN Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by McG
Thanks all for the tips.
I ended up booking the 20:05 flight ex LHR the night before.
Good choice. I'm now looking out of the window in West London with various random tree branches, my cat, the car, etc. flying past the window in high winds, and wishing I'd done this for next Thursday to Oslo.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Very wise if I may say so. Consider next morning taking your hotel’s shuttle back to the airport to catch the Flygbussana down to Stockholm station and then take a tram to the quite astonishing Vasa Museum. Have a good trip!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by nivsy
I see the comment earlier that "Sweden is not expensive". What nonsense! Like for like and for the UK it is. Transport to and from the airport, price of a pint and food is very much higher than most of Europe.
The UK isn't cheap as a destination. E.g. Spain, Italy and Germany are cheaper as European destinations. Now as for ex-ARN, transportation to/from the airport is below Ł10. In London for LHR the Tube is indeed cheaper than going to ARN, however the difference is miniscule.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by nivsy
I see the comment earlier that "Sweden is not expensive". What nonsense! Like for like and for the UK it is. Transport to and from the airport, price of a pint and food is very much higher than most of Europe. I transit ARN a lot and the hotels are not even that great. IKEA show rooms mostly. However the fares by air can make it lucrative proposition.
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
The UK isn't cheap as a destination. E.g. Spain, Italy and Germany are cheaper as European destinations. Now as for ex-ARN, transportation to/from the airport is below Ł10. In London for LHR the Tube is indeed cheaper than going to ARN, however the difference is miniscule.
Cost is relative. Try going to a cheap pizza restaurant in Stockholm and in Oslo and you will find that the Norwegian pizza costs twice as much as the Swedish one.

As for transportation from the airport to the city centre, Transportation for London informs that Piccadilly Line costs Ł5.10 during peak hours and Ł3.10 at other times (link) if you use a contactless card, or Ł6 if you don't have a card. SL informs that bus 583 and SL's train costs 32 kr with a contactless card (link) or 45 kr if you don't have SL's card. In practice, you may find that it is difficult to buy a ticket if your journey starts with a bus and you don't have SL's card. The prices are similar.

Heathrow Express costs approximately the same as Arlanda Express.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
We do ex-ARN quite a bit, going both east and west and always go out the night before, usually on either the 20.08 BA or the slightly earlier SK flight - SK preferred due to location in T5, mostly because I don't trust LHR congestion OR potential weather in ARN (fog can be an issue too). And although its expensive, we do tend to cough up for the Radisson because its in the terminal and you can RI late at night and RO the next morning early and get to your gate with plenty of ease without having to faff around with airport shuttles and the like. Its how we know our holiday has started!

Sure the whole airport looks like an Ikea exploded, but its easy to get around and easy to transfer between terminals. Most problems Ive had have been some serious .......s at immigration trying to leave the damn country and some way overzealous security check people, but on the whole it works for us as we can usually take a few days on the return to go out to the hinterlands to see family. We've taken Flygbussarna, the Pendeltag, AE, and a taxi and we always take the AE. The bus is cramped and the pendel takes REALLY long, especially if taking it all the way from west of the city. But if you were looking for a cheap day in Stockholm to see the sights, then either dumps you off by central station and are fine propositions. We've also looked at the cost of AE to central station and staying in some of the micro hotels there overnight, but I think it was a wash for the cost or any benefit was offset by the hassle.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would not risk a same day flight to ARN. If your XXX-ARN is late or cancelled and you miss the connection you will likely lose your entire trip as a no-show. The only way I would do a same day is if it meant I could do a Back2back so if my outbound flight is late then so is the inbound but even that is often risky.

Although expensive, I would use the Radisson too. Makes for a very easy and relaxed stop especially next day.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Reading this with interest as have an Ex ARN in July but we are going to Stockholm for a short mini-break before the flight to DOH and on the return will overnight at an airport hotel. Will stay in the city centre on the outbound so have time to consider transport options from the airport - probably no need to use AE>
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Reading this with interest as have an Ex ARN in July but we are going to Stockholm for a short mini-break before the flight to DOH and on the return will overnight at an airport hotel. Will stay in the city centre on the outbound so have time to consider transport options from the airport - probably no need to use AE>
July is probably the best time to visit Sweden, from Sthlm I would recommend the fast train rather than the commuter train or the express, commuter train 10-ish stops, the faster train none, regardless you have to pay 120 sek to get into/out of the airport, already in the price for the express though. Some days of the week they have discount for more than one person travelling on the express, in the end a taxi could be cheaper if you are 3 or more travelling, but the train is quicker and more comfortable. Taxi has the perk of getting directly to your hotel, 535 sek. Be careful about what taxi company though, as mentioned before.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
We used the taxi in November due to having my parents along and amount of luggage - it was just easier since my dad is unsteady on his feet but it took AGES, and we left the hotel at like 5.30 am. It was also my first ride in a Tesla which was not really that comfortable as a taxi. I was wondering if cab companies were getting a green tax credit or something because I saw them everywhere!

The advantage of any of the train options is that you avoid Sthlm traffic, which can be substantial. Although the local train at rush hour can be a bit of a cram as those northern suburbs are popular (especially once you get out towards that Mall of Scandinavia area in Solna).

If you are staying a few days in the city in advance of flying out, I would advise potentially choosing a hotel either nearish Central Station or Kungsholmen. Stockholm has a challenging topography with the water, and then half the city is on top of a cliff. One trip we stayed way out in Skeppsholmen/Kvarnholmen and it was great but daaaammmnnn was it far and isolated. Most of the real tourist sights will be quite central in those first two areas and are easily walkable. Also, be aware of the potential for a cruise ship or three to be stopping by, which can clog up the airport and transport too.

BTW that flight Stockholm - Doha was one of the most pleasant I ever experienced and we were really disappointed it was so "short"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.