Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-TLV; upgrade advice...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
LHR-TLV; upgrade advice...

So, we are off to TLV on the 0800 flight in December. There is Avios availability to UUA into First. I am in a bit of a quandary...

We could keep the 25,000 Avios for a future 2-4-1 as we can usually generate about 200k per year for a nice long haul return. So, cutting this by 25k now does mean we will lose out later, possibly.
  • The flight leaves at 0800, so we will be out of the CCR by 0715. Not sure how many cocktails we will be up for drinking between 0515 and 0715.
  • By then I will have reached Gold and so we have the First lounge anyway.
  • It's only breakfast on board (I think?) and so it feels a waste when the J breakfast and Flounge breakfast can suffice.
  • It's only a 5 hour flight.
  • We don't have to drive the other end so can indulge.
  • They've improved the bubbles, bedding and food in J.
  • But now there looks to be nicer stuff coming in F.
  • We are doing "new F" in May this year anyway.
  • There is Avios availability on the return, but the lounges at TLV are apparently dreadful and so this seems a bit of a waste.
Has anyone flown this route in F? My hunch is to leave us in J and save the Avios, but.... it's First....

Thoughts welcome.

TFC
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
If you doing First in May don’t bother.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
25,000 for two upgrades to First - I would take the seats in F outbound without a doubt.

Don't force the cocktails in the CCR but instead have a leisurely breakfast, and treat yourself when in the air (and you'll be much thirstier by then). CW on the 777 is the poorest of the lot - First will be much more pleasant and you can buddy dine for brunch (which does have one 'lunch'-like choice in each category if past menus are to go by) after a few hours of LPGS.

Unless you expect to be flying First frequently, I would nab the opportunity each time - after all, they are only avios!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've only done it in CW - the breakfast was revolting, i'm guessing it will be a bit better in F, but still breakfast. Whilst I did have a glass of bubbly in the lounge, I found it difficult to indulge too much at that time of the day and even on board didn't really make the most of the onboard bar - the crew were quite taken aback when my travelling companion asked for a glass of red wine. Overall, whilst I prefer F to CW, I'd save the avios as i really don't think you'll be making the most of them in F on this trip. Just make sure you eat well in the lounge beforehand.

On the return, the lounge at Tel Aviv was awful, and it sounds like they've downgraded, sorry enhanced, that and as there was no distinction between F and J lounges, you will have no benefit in being in F on the return, although would be able to make more of the onboard experience.

If I was going to upgrade one leg of the journey, I'd do the return (as long as it's not the early flight back), because there's not a massive difference between the F lounge and CCR and the timing means you won't really make the most of the on-board offering whilst you can indulge on the flight home.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
So, we are off to TLV on the 0800 flight in December. There is Avios availability to UUA into First. I am in a bit of a quandary...

We could keep the 25,000 Avios for a future 2-4-1 as we can usually generate about 200k per year for a nice long haul return. So, cutting this by 25k now does mean we will lose out later, possibly.
  • The flight leaves at 0800, so we will be out of the CCR by 0715. Not sure how many cocktails we will be up for drinking between 0515 and 0715.
  • By then I will have reached Gold and so we have the First lounge anyway.
  • It's only breakfast on board (I think?) and so it feels a waste when the J breakfast and Flounge breakfast can suffice.
  • It's only a 5 hour flight.
  • We don't have to drive the other end so can indulge.
  • They've improved the bubbles, bedding and food in J.
  • But now there looks to be nicer stuff coming in F.
  • We are doing "new F" in May this year anyway.
  • There is Avios availability on the return, but the lounges at TLV are apparently dreadful and so this seems a bit of a waste.
Has anyone flown this route in F? My hunch is to leave us in J and save the Avios, but.... it's First....

Thoughts welcome.

TFC
I UuA once LHR-TLV CW-->F and thought it was more than worthwhile for that (small) amount of avios. I would do it again but definitely not on the inbound. Enjoy!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
The planes to TLV are normally pretty old 777s (quite often a ZZZ), it's not a long flight but business has the dormitory feel. I could be persuaded both ways but i'd be tempted to upgrade outbound for the LHR experience, there's always opportunities to top up Avios if you're short in the future.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy lt Titanium, UA lt Gld MM, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold!
I flew F both ways about 3 weeks ago. Relatively short flight for an F experience, but it really is a lot nicer then CW. Bedding and PJ's if you want to catch up on some sleep after such an early morning. Food is better, and on the return, it's dinner, better wine, and drinks. As has been repeated elsewhere, BA F is the worlds best business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.