Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Forecast for Arrival airport is very bad - Will BA fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forecast for Arrival airport is very bad - Will BA fly?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is an BA customer advisory out for Denver and neighbouring codeshare airports in preparation for Storm Ulmer (which is how agents will be able to find the advisory). This is for travel tomorrow 13 March and allows people to rebook until and including 17 March. This assumes the service continues but the passenger doesn't wish to travel (e.g. doesn't particularly want to drive out of DEN on arrival). If the flight does get cancelled then there will be a longer rebooking option, plus the ability to ask for a refund, plus the ability to reroute to somewhere else within 300 miles (probably not many options there!).
Interesting. I am on this flight and not a peep from BA on any rebooking option. No email, text, app notification.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:34 am

Well, wife in Fort Collins - an hour north of Denver - says all schools etc shut, road travel advised only for emergency services.

Blizzard and gales.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bronco122
Interesting. I am on this flight and not a peep from BA on any rebooking option. No email, text, app notification.
Yes, but I think you are implying something that is looking at this from the wrong way around. At the moment the flight is operating - not that I would want to be on it - and there is a presumption out there that people who have bookings on it would wish to travel. This reactive policy is for those worried enough about it that they call up BA and say "look I really don't wish to travel / my meeting has just been postponed / my relatives can't collect me at the airport" sort of conversation - it's a remedy for them. If it gets cancelled then the proactive comms will go out. It's a sensible process and arrangement, and has been like this across the airline industry for decades.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, but I think you are implying something that is looking at this from the wrong way around. At the moment the flight is operating - not that I would want to be on it - and there is a presumption out there that people who have bookings on it would wish to travel. This reactive policy is for those worried enough about it that they call up BA and say "look I really don't wish to travel / my meeting has just been postponed / my relatives can't collect me at the airport" sort of conversation - it's a remedy for them. If it gets cancelled then the proactive comms will go out. It's a sensible process and arrangement, and has been like this across the airline industry for decades.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Well I do want to get home, so I am at Heathrow in the lounge waiting to see what happens. Right now, still says on time.
I'll let you all know what happens. Looks like if I do get home, I may have to sleep at DIA if the roads are closed.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
FlightAware shows taxiing for takeoff. Safe travels!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
from DENAirport Twitter: "As of 1:30 p.m., all runways are closed, but the terminal & concourses are open. Airlines have cancelled flights for early afternoon/evening. Conditions on Peńa Blvd. are poor; visibility is extremely low, conditions are icy. Consider the @RideRTD A Line when traveling to DEN"
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
Currently in Denver - the local news reports 1300 cancellations. The last time DEN was closed due to snow BA219 ended up in Las Vegas. What’s the betting for that happening tonite.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:57 pm

FlightAware now shows diverted to LAS. Welcome home Bronco122.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yep, shows as diverted to Vegas.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:10 pm

Denver airport website shows arrival @ DEN tomorrow at 3PM from LAS.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Oh well, it won't come as a total surprise to the OP, and he did have alternative options, theoretically. Hopefully it is a bit warmer in Vegas at least.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
I wonder at what point the pax were told of the diversion. We’re they warned before they boarded or told half way thru the flight. I’m currently in Denver and it was clear last night that there would be hundreds of cancellations. The met forecasters were using expressions like ‘bomb cyclone’.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keystone
I wonder at what point the pax were told of the diversion. We’re they warned before they boarded or told half way thru the flight. I’m currently in Denver and it was clear last night that there would be hundreds of cancellations. The met forecasters were using expressions like ‘bomb cyclone’.
As you can all see, yes we were diverted to Las Vegas. Oh well. Not too bad all and all.

They told us abut 2 hours out of Denver that they made the decision to divert. I have to give credit to the whole crew and BA. They handled it very well. They put us all up in a hotel with meals etc. I don't think they had to do that as it was weather. The crew, especially the two crew on the upper deck did a great job and handled it very well.

They are loading us all up in a few hours and then back on the Jumbo for a 2 hour hop to Denver. So all in all, an unplanned night in Vegas. Not too bad in the end. Thanks for all you who watched and gave advise.

Now home today to do some shoveling.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bronco122
They handled it very well. They put us all up in a hotel with meals etc. I don't think they had to do that as it was weather.
EC261 requires duty of care to be provided even if the cause is weather.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
EC261 requires duty of care to be provided even if the cause is weather.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.