Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Forecast for Arrival airport is very bad - Will BA fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi All,

I know there is no real answer until BA makes a decision, but what do they tend to do in very bad forecast weather at the arrival airport?

Tomorrow BA219 LHR-DEN. At the time of arrival, the Denver area is forecast to have blizzard like conditions and 50-80MPH winds. Its of course a forecast, so who knows. Just wondering what to expect.

Would BA cancel in anticipation? Or get everyone to Heathrow on time and then delay until who knows when to take off same day?

Last edited by bronco122; Mar 12, 2019 at 7:05 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I can't see why the flight won't go ahead. Decisions on landing will be taken much closer to DEN.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnaalex
I can't see why the flight won't go ahead. Decisions on landing will be taken much closer to DEN.
Thanks for the reply. I guess that makes sense, I hope they do land in Denver or are able to. Going to Dallas or PHX I would rather not.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
It all depends what the operating maximums and minimums are for the aircraft operating your particular flight. And unless it’s shorthaul or airport closed and expected to remain so at the point of departure the flight will likely go ahead.

Forecasts can be right and can also be wrong

cs
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
Remember the forecast is the forecast for the worst weather ; the Terminal Airport forecast (TAF ) is published at Denver for a period up to 24 hours in advance :

At the moment it is forecasting for tomorrow lunch time 800m visibility 400 ft cloud base and winds 20k gusting 35k : I would have though flyable for most airlines , though arrivals might be limited.

check the weather in about 4 hours it will give you the forcast for the rest of the day

METAR TAF : Denver International Airport, Denver Colorado United
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Its a long-haul 747. I have no idea on any operational max or mins for any aircraft, but will keep that in mind.

Good call on looking at if DIA will even be open.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Excellent link. Will watch for updates.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
The direction of the wind is important as well as its strength
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DEN is a major hub for UA and UA has not even posted a "weather waiver" for DEN travel yet. UA does this when it anticipates massive IRROPS so that it is not stuck with thousands of people in a situation where there are no alternatives and hotels are scarce. Keep an eye on the UA website for such a waiver as an insight into what is anticipated. Note that the fact that UA posts such a waiver means nothing to BA.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DEN is well equipped for snow. This March storm likely will be a minor event with perhaps some delays. Nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
DEN is well equipped for snow. This March storm likely will be a minor event with perhaps some delays. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks. I agree the snow isnt much of an issue. I was more concerned with the high gusts of wind with low visibility due to snow.

I will let you all know how it goes.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Going from memory, the 747 is ok to land with gusts up to 50 kts, so a 20 kt wind is no problem.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Well now we are getting a blizzard warning within 24 hours with gusts up to 70MPH. With the worst part supposedly on the east side of I-25 (where DEN is).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is an BA customer advisory out for Denver and neighbouring codeshare airports in preparation for Storm Ulmer (which is how agents will be able to find the advisory). This is for travel tomorrow 13 March and allows people to rebook until and including 17 March. This assumes the service continues but the passenger doesn't wish to travel (e.g. doesn't particularly want to drive out of DEN on arrival). If the flight does get cancelled then there will be a longer rebooking option, plus the ability to ask for a refund, plus the ability to reroute to somewhere else within 300 miles (probably not many options there!).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta
UNLESS you have to be in Den tomorrow I would take the weather waiver and come the next day...this looks pretty bad. It has been a very ugly winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.