Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MIA - LHR October Departure - BA208 or BA210?

Old Mar 12, 19, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Lufthansa

I am trying to take advantage of the current sales and am looking at flights to Tampa / back from Miami in early October. Looking to fly J. I'm sorted for the outbound to TPA with a connection in MIA.

However, I cannot decide whether to come back on BA208 or BA210 - both are scheduled to run on 747's, both look like the old clapped out bird I usually get to Vancouver (disclaimer, I really like the 747's, but I always get the oldest plane with the oldest seats and IFE system..), so the only discernible difference is the flight time and resulting service. BA 208 is scheduled to depart at 20.40, arriving into LHR at 10.25 or the later flight at 23.15 (BA210), which arrives at 12.55.

Has anyone experienced both flights and if so, can you give any recommendations? I assume that dinner service on the later flight is super quick to maximise sleep but are there any other considerations I should take into account (such as closing time of the fabulous Admirals Club at gate D30...) or potential aircraft changes / flight time changes between now and October? When I came back on BA208 in January, I was on the A380.

My ideal scenario would be a 22.00 departure, that would give me time for a sunset cocktail / early dinner in South Beach without having to rush to the airport, but I assume there is little chance that BA will change the flight times to accommodate my personal preferences...

Thank you very much for any advice the learned people on this forum may have.
Old Mar 12, 19, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'd take the 210 if you're in Miami and 208 is not scheduled to be an A380. You could get UD on either flight, but the later one allows you more of an evening in South Beach, plus arriving at lunchtime means it's a shorter day to limp through with jet lag.

Just double check what time the security lane closes at MIA though. It used to be 21:00, but that was a while ago. I'm sure others would have better information.
Old Mar 12, 19, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Are you connecting TPA-MIA-LHR on the way back or just flying MIA-LHR?

Also worth mentioning that the 52J fleet of 747's will almost all be refurbished by then. Granted, not all of them are getting new IFE but it should be something of an improvement.
Old Mar 12, 19, 5:28 am

I would take the later flight out of MIA. Your plan of having dinner/drinks in Miami before heading to the airport is a good plan - much better than relying on the BA provided catering, and will allow you to sleep straight away from wheels up and arrive well rested at LHR.

If you are connecting onwards, then advice could be different depending on final destination.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much, everybody, that's really helpful and I am pretty set to go for the later flight - I do prefer the later arrival as well as it makes that horrible first day back shorter. I have a direct flight from Miami to LHR, so am not connecting from Tampa, which gives me a full day / evening in the Miami area. I am connecting to either Dusseldorf or Frankfurt, but on a separate (Avios) booking and there are flights until quite late in the evening, so the later arrival should hopefully not be much of an issue (but I know, it's always a risk to have flights on separate bookings on the same day, but worst case, I only lose Avios and I have friends in the Heathrow area which will no doubt take me in...)

Also good news that the 52J 747's will hopefully be finished with their refurbishments soon. It would be quite nice to get new IFE on all flights as my trips to Vancouver are usually in W and last time we had the really old and terrible IFE. I didn't even bother to try...

Thanks again, everyone!
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Could you not take the AA flight - you'll have a far better experience on board?
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
Could you not take the AA flight - you'll have a far better experience on board?
There's just the early one now, right? Is it about 19:30 departure?
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer View Post
However, I cannot decide whether to come back on BA208 or BA210 - both are scheduled to run on 747's, both look like the old clapped out bird I usually get to Vancouver (disclaimer, I really like the 747's, but I always get the oldest plane with the oldest seats and IFE system..), so the only discernible difference is the flight time and resulting service. BA 208 is scheduled to depart at 20.40, arriving into LHR at 10.25 or the later flight at 23.15 (BA210), which arrives at 12.55.
On the assumption that you will have been in the US for long enough for your body clock to have adjusted, personally I would take BA210. The reason is this: as far as your body is concerned, BA208 arrives at 0525, with activity in the cabin starting at about 0355. In contrast, BA210 arrives at 0755, with activity in the cabin starting at about 0625. Would your body prefer to be woken up at 0355 or 0625. I know mine would prefer the latter.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately the AA flight leaves way too early - I took it last time I flew to MIA and I was overall very impressed, but not such much so that I'd miss out on an extra few hours in Miami and a 6.20 arrival into LHR is way too grim for me.
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Globaliser, you're absolutely right, my Night Owl body would happily go to bed at 3.55 but not get up at that time and being woken up at 6.2 (body clock) is much more tolerable. The later flight it is!
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
Whilst I am an advocate of the AA J cabin (on the 777 and 330), personally for me it is AA for EU-US and BA for US-EU. This is due to BA being much quicker at getting the cabin settled at night, therefore much better chance for quality and uninterrupted sleep. There is also (seemingly) fewer PAs during the flight, seatbelt signs are switched of sooner and there is no wrestling match for the noise cancelling headphones one hour out from the destination. AA J all the way for the day flight, where the BA J product is poor in comparison.
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:56 am
Original Poster

To be fair, I have only taken the AA flight EU - US and yes, overall I was very impressed, but absolutely, the collecting-the-headphones-faff and overall length it took for the seatbelt signs to come off are something I had forgotten about. Also, with BA, I (sadly) know what I get in J and I know that I won't miss out if I skip dinner and breakfast and I can definitely maximise on sleep.
rossmacd likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: