Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

One hour (and 6 minutes) connection @ LHR T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat

Expedia is selling a flight from Dublin to LHR to Calgary with a 1:06 connection at LHR. I do believe that both the inbound and outbound flights are at Terminal 5. BA.com is selling the same itinerary as well, although it's almost twice as expensive. BA metal, first leg BA, second Iberia.

Brexit may affect this, travel is on April 21, but if I recall there is no passport control between ROI and the UK. Would one have to go through exit passport control on the way to Canada? How tight is this connection and is it doable?

Also, if things go sideways (this flight was 40 minutes late the past two Sundays, so I guess it's quite possible):

1. What accommodation, if any, would BA provide?
2. If the first flight lands on time but the 1 hour isn't enough for whatever reason, including the pax being lost/confused, would BA still assist (rebooking, hotel voucher?).
3. Is there any difference in the level of support BA will provide depending on whether the tickets are booked on Expedia or through BA.com?

Thank you
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
the MCT at T5 is 60 minutes. BA wouldn't permit a combination of flights with a shorter connection. Thousands of people do this sort of connection every day of the week without getting lost.

There are no physical exit passport checks.

If you are flying LHR-Calgary when you will most definitely be on BA metal. You most likely have an IB codeshare number

But of your DUB flight is delayed then BA would rebook you either on the next available flight or on an alternative route and if necessary an overnight hotel etc.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:52 pm

1. BA would provide some hotel near the airport. They might also try to reroute you to avoid an overnight stay.

2. BA would in most cases assist. That said, they probably know how long it takes for stuff to happen at T5. If it takes you much longer than normal, there could be trouble.

3. No difference.

All is based on Expedia selling you a through ticket. Google Flights sometimes makes clear what it’s offering is Separate Tickets. I hope Expedia does too.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Thank you both.

The trabellers are in their mid 70s/early 80s, and speak hardly any English.

Am I to understand that there is no passport exit stamp for people who go that route? They are EU citizens anyway but want to ensure there won't be a need to line up at customs. Would tgey have to go through security?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Thank you both.

Am I to understand that there is no passport exit stamp for people who go that route? They are EU citizens anyway but want to ensure there won't be a need to line up at customs. Would tgey have to go through security?
That changes the game somewhat. Personally I don't think I'd book that connection for those particular travellers, because even a relatively minor delay could mean they misconnect. Even though BA will protect them, they may not have a great experience given their age and lack of English. Can you book them on an earlier flight from Dublin instead?

To answer your questions: correct there is no passport control or customs with that route, but yes they would have to go through hand baggage security.
Vasco Pridat and Anonba like this.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Mar 11, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Can I check what your flights are exactly? All BA flights arrive and depart in five minute increments so I would be surprised if your connection is 1 hr 6 minutes - 1 hr 10 minutes or 1 hr 5 mins would seem more typical.

also if you haven’t found it there is a T5 connection guide linked to in the dashboard (and in my message signature) which has lots of useful information.

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 12, 2019 at 3:32 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Thank you both.

Personally I would book them with disabled assistance (if they agree!!) - this will take away the worry for them and they can be wheeled to the right gate.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Can I check what your flights are exactly? All BA flights arrive and depart in five minute increments so I would be surprised if your connection is 1 hr 6 minutes - 1 hr 10 minutes or 1 hr 5 mins would seem more typical.
It's 1:05. On 21 April, BA837 arrives at T5 at 1725, and BA103 departs at 1830.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Currently, as we don't what the post-Brexit landscape will look like, there is no passport check on arrival from Dublin but there is a customs check for those entering the UK. There will be transfer security for those passing through. On a through checked ticket, your right to enter Canada should be validated at the airport of departure and checked at the boarding gate too.

The UK does not do embarkation checks as a matter of course; it tends to only be stood up after major incidents (the last one being the Manchester Arena bombing).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC
The Calgary flight leaves late (around 6pm), and I think if they miss it, there are very few same day options to get there (if any at all). I personally would take an earlier flight. For inexperienced travelers in their 70s/80s that don't speak English, I would 100% take an earlier flight.

Sure, things might run like clockwork and they make the flight, but I think even on the best days, 1 hour is fairly tight. Its not called the minimum connection time for nothing! On a 1 hour connection, by the time they get off the DUB flight, preboarding will probably already be starting for the YYC one. I think 3 hours would be better, and they have time for a cup of tea at LHR, and no need to rush.

Booking assistance would be a great idea, especially if their English isn't great. The DUB flight can only arrive at one gate at the very far end of the terminal, so its a fairly long walk to transit security, and then will probably have to get the transit train to B or C gates for the next flight. If they get a remote stand (happens often from DUB), then they need to wait for the bus, and then do the same walk, as they'll still end up at the same gate (A24 IIRC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.