Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using ID90 staff travel via China without visa.

Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Hi, was looking at a back up route Taipei - > Shanghai - > London on id90 standby ticket.
I knw there is a Visa free travel policy in Shanghai... However hiw is a standby ticket handled as it is not confirmed? Would they be ok with it or must it be a firm ticket?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
A you need to contact your airlines staff travel for advice.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BA silver
Hi massi1234

I don't know much about the ID90 tickets but the last two times I used the visa free travel at Shanghai (both 24 hours and 144 hours) the agent at immigration desk always checked my onward travel documents and circled the date of the onward ticket. My guess would be that you would need to have a confirmed seat and date on the flight. A quick check on chinatravelguide.com with the words "free 144 hours transit visa" seems to corroborate this. Others on here who have used an ID90 ticket may be able to offer more conclusive advice.

FQ
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check the big sticky TWOV thread in the China destination forum on FT.

The rules are that you need a ticket (receipt with ticket number) and confirmed reservation. However, some people have managed with cheap purchased throwaway tickets or fully refundable tickets to some nearby destination in a different country to be used before the end of the TWOV period if their earlier attempts to go standby out of China don't work. Officially, you would of course need entry documents for the different country, which might include a ticket out before their visa-less entry period ends. With TWOV being 144 hours now, you could plan to visit Shanghai for about 80-140 hours and if you're then unable to leave on standby staff travel, take a confirmed flight to Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, etc (but NOT to Taiwan) the same day or the next day so as to be guaranteed that you leave before 144 hours. You would show the ticket to the different country upon entry as well as hotel reservations for the entire period of your "official" (backup) stay if you were to use the confirmed and ticketed flight to the different country.

This is if you want to visit China for a few days......

However, I'm a bit confused by the OP in that if you're trying to just connect to a PVG-LHR flight after spending a couple hours at PVG airport, you're unlikely to be stamped in with permission to leave the airport unless you need to change terminals or retrieve a checked bag. Having documented alternatives lined up would seem to be a pain, yet AFAIK you won't be confirmed on the PVG-LHR flight before boarding at TPE.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Hi, thanks...
I would need most likely to immigrate even if for aa few hours technically just to go to the BA desk and present the standby ticket... So even if i don't leave the airport i woukd need to go through immigration.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I would not be trying to hope the Chinese will bend the rules for you.

Instead, bearing in mind the very generous TWOV time at Shanghai, I suggest the approach of buying either a very cheap disposable or a fully refundable ticket for departure in the 120hour timeframe from arrival, and perhaps also a refundable hotel booking if you want to really cover yourself. I have never been asked for a hotel reservation when using TWOV but I have always been asked for my onward ticket. This mirrors the experience of most people: onward confirmed ticket is always required, hotel reservation very rarely. The TWOV rules don't say you need a hotel, only a ticket onwards.

Then you can pass Shanghai immigration without a visa, then proceed to BA to pick up your ticket or get the bad news you'll have to come back the next day.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
A standby ticket does not meet the requirements for TWOV
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by massi1234
Hi, thanks...
I would need most likely to immigrate even if for aa few hours technically just to go to the BA desk and present the standby ticket... So even if i don't leave the airport i woukd need to go through immigration.
The Chinese authorities might not accept this as a reason to let you enter. People staying less than about 8 hours or without hotel reservations have been reportedly denied and forced to remain airside.

I've been asked to show hotel reservations at PVG under the old 72 hour TWOV. I think the concern is partly that you might be planning to leave the regions, which is not allowed (unless you're doing the 24 hour TWOV that permits connections within China).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Can I help you
A you need to contact your airlines staff travel for advice.
This is the only advice that matters.

OP - Talk to your BA staff desk. It will have dealt with the specific issue.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by massi1234
Hi, thanks...
My solution to you is to book a cheap redemption ticket (PVG-HKG or PVG-NRT) and print all the itinerary information BA sent to you, then cancel the redemption ticket. No one at immigration would be able to verify whether the ticket was issued/confirmed, they only care the date you are leaving and your ticket is booked. I have done so when I entered CAN a few years back, had no problems.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Often1
This is the only advice that matters.

OP - Talk to your BA staff desk. It will have dealt with the specific issue.
I sometimes get ignored because I say what they dont want to hear.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by roy2016
My solution to you is to book a cheap redemption ticket (PVG-HKG or PVG-NRT) and print all the itinerary information BA sent to you, then cancel the redemption ticket. No one at immigration would be able to verify whether the ticket was issued/confirmed, they only care the date you are leaving and your ticket is booked. I have done so when I entered CAN a few years back, had no problems.
Actually, this is no longer true. I did TWOV last week in Guangzhou and they had airline/handling agent reps in immigration who took my e-ticket and made a phonecall to verify it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GOLD
thanks for the update.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:05 am

As an experienced staff traveler (does my name give it away?), I can verify that you MUST have a confirmed ticket out of China in order to be qualified for TWOV. ZED/other nonrev standby listings do not qualify. If you don't want to deal with that hassle, connect somewhere else .
nancypants and Tiger_lily like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:11 pm

As someone who lived in China for 7 years and flew standby all the time, TWOV should not be attempted without a confirmed onward ticket. Most likely you will just not be allowed to board your flight to China. I watched my fellow NRSAs be denied all the time when the airline would conduct a visa check and they were relying on TWOV and even if you are allowed to board, Chinese immigration will want to see your confirmed ticket and they are very familiar with standby listings and processes. A listing alone will not work.

And you are correct, you cannot connect standby at Beijing or Shanghai, you will need to enter China and then wait at the airline desk for a seat before exiting China. This is because many people have single entry visas and if you use that to enter China and are sent to the gate (exit China) but do not get on flight you are now stuck at the gate unable to go anywhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.