Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On time take off delayed arrival?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:06 am
Original Poster

On time take off delayed arrival?

Currently in BA lounge, our flight is showing as taking off on time on both BA app and Heathrow website (and screens in lounge), but is showing estimated time of arrival as almost two hours late- is it likely that take off will be delayed and even if it is should we still go to the gate or can we remain in the lounge?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Maybe post your flight details
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Sorry we are on BA 446, 14.20 to AMS.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Or ask at the ticket service desk?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
"It's a trap".

Expect boarding on time and a long ground hold after boarding while the Captain hopes the slot delay reduces. Use the toilet before boarding and bring on board sufficient food, drink and entertainment as needed for the extra time. You can at least use your electronics during a ground hold.

Updated:
Originally Posted by Soupey202
Sorry we are on BA 446, 14.20 to AMS.
Now I'm even more sure it's a trap. You're flying to the least reliable airport in Europe that can't handle any adverse weather without massive delays. Prepare for a long wait.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
flatlander has explained the reasoning, and all you can really do is hope the delay comes in.

It caught me out the first time (I've had it a couple of times on the EDI-LHR route). Expect groans once they've got you all trapped and make the announcement. IME they usually open BoB except for the alcohol.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you, I have committed the heinous sin of liberating a can of coke and bag of crisps each and we will head to gate on time.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Currently in BA lounge, our flight is showing as taking off on time on both BA app and Heathrow website (and screens in lounge), but is showing estimated time of arrival as almost two hours late- is it likely that take off will be delayed and even if it is should we still go to the gate or can we remain in the lounge?
Not out of mere pedantry, don't forget that nothing is showing you take-off time. It's departure time, the point at which the doors close and the aircraft pushes back from the gate. You could depart on time, and then sit around at a conveniently empty spot at LHR for an hour or three until it's your time and turn to take off.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
....while the Captain hopes the slot delay reduces.
It's all in the "negotiation"
PETER01 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Globaliser you are right, it is estimated departure time not take off time.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It is of course in everybody's interest to board early despite a potential slot delay... Although it doesn't stop the DYKWIAs whingeing about it.

Slots often come forward drastically and on occasion the aircraft has to leave immediately, lest incurring a longer delay.

Happened recently to me at NCL when it was foggy at LHR. I had spotted the significantly delayed arrival on the app so saw it coming before boarding. The BOB had just been cracked open (including the booze), when the captain got on the blower saying we had to move now as the airborne slot time was in 5 minutes.

The data in the app is taken direct from BA's flight planning system, you can see the arrival time change as the slots chop and change.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Globaliser you are right, it is estimated departure time not take off time.
You can follow the updates to the predicted flight times in real time here. Scroll down to the Event Timeline.

Pushed 2 minutes early.

Note the aircraft's now been changed from the one originally assigned.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all, we boarded on time and once the doors were closed the Captain announced that we were going to move off stand and park up for a couple of hours. There were then various announcements including one just after they had started serving food that we would be starting engines in approx 9 minutes! The crew (in CE were great) and managed a drinks run and then food run (with more drinks) before take off with another drinks run during the flight.
We eventually arrived just under two hours late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.