Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by brentford77
Excuse me? "eyewitnesses reported fire coming from the aircraft'.
Every crash has reports of fire from the aircraft.

Along with reports that the pilot managed to avoid a school at the last minute.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Regardless of the outcome of the investigation of the ET accident, there is a continued element of discomfort in me that Boeing knew about the issue after the Lionair accident but it continued to fly with an administrative solution. The administrative solution here being the supposed "training", just with an iPad-based briefing and some pieces of paper, and something worse than an administrative solution, i.e. requiring a correct response to a problem which should have been foreseen and fixed instead (i.e. the runaway).
In that case I suggest that you stay on the ground. Every airline manufacturer does this for certain types of issues, Boeing is doing nothing out of the normal here*.

* Whether that makes it an appropriate response is an entirely different question, however.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by simonrp84
In that case I suggest that you stay on the ground. Every airline manufacturer does this for certain types of issues, Boeing is doing nothing out of the normal here*.

* Whether that makes it an appropriate response is an entirely different question, however.
There is a degree of it that I either accept or I don't. The administrative solution can range from poor to good, and I'd say this particular one wasn't exactly good for the situation.

That is entirely up to me to decide since it affects no-one else and it might even depend on other factors than manufacturers. Thankfully I have pretty good sources that keep me informed enough to make a reasonable assessment of the situation (and not dependent on the information fed by the media), although I don't disclose it unless it's publicly available information.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I tend towards LTN’s corner. I like to minimise risk ... whether it’s airlines, aircraft, taxi companies or ‘interesting’ side streets at night. I/we don’t over-analyse, but certainly tend towards to taking safer options where such exist.
SaraJH and TedToToe like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:46 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Every crash has reports of fire from the aircraft.

Along with reports that the pilot managed to avoid a school at the last minute.
Normally "heroically and skillfully" managed to avoid a school. The press reports of the red arrow that tragically crashed in my home town in August 2011 stated how the pilot was a hero and pretty much sacrificed himself rather than let his jet crash into some local houses. Complete rubbish, the official report stated he blacked out pulling a high G turn at low level just milliseconds before the impact
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by T8191
I tend towards LTN’s corner. I like to minimise risk ... whether it’s airlines, aircraft, taxi companies or ‘interesting’ side streets at night. I/we don’t over-analyse, but certainly tend towards to taking safer options where such exist.
Interesting to see that the "Software Patch" that has been developed by Boeing will be approved by the FAA in around 10 days... This is the same "Software Patch" that was delayed as Boeing didn't think it offered much.

I won't be setting foot on a B737 MAX for a good while. I was the same with the B787.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I won't be setting foot on a B737 MAX for a good while. I was the same with the B787.
We have our first B788 flight at the end of the year - that seems to be safe these days. But then the 788 was never an option on our usual routes anyway.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:16 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
There is a degree of it that I either accept or I don't. The administrative solution can range from poor to good, and I'd say this particular one wasn't exactly good for the situation.
Boeing and the FAA have learned nothing in 45 years. This is a carbon copy in terms of a prior warning and shockingly poor response after an incident. In 1972 an AA DC10 had a cargo door burst open over Ontario and the resultant rapid decompression almost crashed the aircraft. Fortunately that day it was very lightly loaded and the collapsing pax floor (from the sudden decompression) was not severe enough to sever the control cables and hydraulics. The stricken jet managed to land by some good fortune. The investigation revealed a faulty cargo door latching / locking system that had already had multiple complaints from airlines that it was proving difficult to fully close. McDonnell Douglas insisted the DC10 was safe, downplayed it and persuaded the FAA not to ground the type whilst they worked on a fix.

The fix was entirely inadequate and merely put a sticking plaster over a really poor design and pretty much put the onus on the unskilled baggage handlers to make sure the door was properly closed each time by means of a small peep-hole to see the lock position. Just 2 years later another DC10, this time a THY one fully laden took off from Paris for London, the same thing happened but being a full flight this time the rapid decompression caused the cabin floor to completely collapse, severing the hydraulic lines and the plane crashed killing all 346 on board.

Very similar parallels here regarding the MAX (albeit a different US manufacturer) as a) it was originally a poor design with inadequate manuals, b) there was an actual incident that should have provided a warning severe enough to ground the type, c) following the first incident the manufacturer insisted the type was safe but was working on a fix in the background and d) the FAA initially sided with the manufacturer in supporting their desire to keep the type in service.

Nothing seems to have changed - even a coincidentally very similar loss of life with both the DC10 and 737MAX (circa 340) before really decisive action was taken.
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Of course they are looking at the position of the jackscrew (as that controls the trim)... However, you said you suspected a failed jackscrew.
It was an and/or with 'panic'. And it remains a possibility. It is possible to unwind MCAS if you do the right things, I.e manually counteract the automatic trim increase and pull the circuit breaker. If you crash there's a reason, could be human factors, could be mechanical, usually with critical systems there's an unanticipated intersection between more than one unlikely event.

The apparent observation that in both cases there was a critical moment after which the hitherto partial control was lost may well indicate a mechanical failure, I.e the systems were stressed well beyond their design limits and eventually broke, as happened with Alaska in the example I cited.

It's conjecture, yes, but not uninformed speculation which is what your previous comments suggested,

Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

Oh, ok. This place has been PPRuNeified.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by simonrp84
Oh, ok. This place has been PPRuNeified.
To be fair, just like on PPRuNe there are in this thread a significant number of informed, thoughtful and helpful posts.
T8191, SaraJH and TedToToe like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
To be fair, just like on PPRuNe there are in this thread a significant number of informed, thoughtful and helpful posts.
.....with the most tenuous of links to BA. Not sure why it’s still here to be honest.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
.....with the most tenuous of links to BA. Not sure why it’s still here to be honest.
This is the board for "British Airways and BA CityFlyer, plus Comair and SUN-AIR of Scandinavia franchise partners". And one of those airlines has a MAX which was flying in BA colours, with more on order.
brentford77, T8191 and SaraJH like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
This is the board for "British Airways and BA CityFlyer, plus Comair and SUN-AIR of Scandinavia franchise partners". And one of those airlines has a MAX which was flying in BA colours, with more on order.
When was the last time in the thread Comair and it’s one single aircraft was mentioned? As pointed out above the only difference between here and pprune is that at least the most of the posters on here don’t pretend they are pilots.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, let’s take another angle. This forum is one of the busiest on FT, and members fly on may different airlines. Perhaps this discussion could be informtive to those who use multiple carriers .... where shoukd tjis be posted?
brentford77 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.