Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Jackscrew operates the stabilisers. There was a famous crash in the US some years ago where the thread stripped off under excessive force and the stabilisers stopped operating. Result was the plane inverted and then nose dived. You can infer the final setting from the position of jackscrew in the actuator ring.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alas...nes_Flight_261
TedToToe likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
and at full thrust the nose can drop so the MCAS steps in to prevent this through the stabilisers also(?).
Originally Posted by T8191
The MCAS issue actually relates to the aerodynamic lift generated by the bigger and relocated engine cowlings, and the need to compensate for that at high Angle of Attack.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
but I strongly suspect disorientation and panic was a factor, and/or the jackscrew broke at the end.
Let's stick to frequent flying eh? I've never read so much rubbish (and I've been on here 15 years)
vibrex likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:37 am

Maybe stop reading the thread, eh? It's making you all grumpy and unpleasant.

Otherwise you could explain exactly what is nonsense and why, which would be more constructive than taking supercilious sideswipes at other board members?

rockflyertalk and frandrake like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:48 am
Suspended

The MCAS issue actually relates to the aerodynamic lift generated by the bigger and relocated engine cowlings, and the need to compensate for that at high Angle of Attack.
You can see I have been reading PPRuNe intensively!
Reading PPRuNe is an excellent way to gain insight into what Flight Simulator fans think the problem is, it's been a while since the first "P" in the name was appropriate.
Hodders likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:04 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Let's stick to frequent flying eh? I've never read so much rubbish (and I've been on here 15 years)
Well the middle point made by T8191 regarding the reason for this software module to counteract the tendency to pitch up is entirely correct. It is because of the increased thrust / repositioning of the engines this module is necessary on the MAX series. Period. Why the sneering agression?
Globaliser likes this.

Last edited by BOH; Mar 14, 2019 at 5:31 am Reason: Error in the pitch direction (thanks to Globaliser for the catch!)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Correct me if I’m wrong but as I understand it MCAS is there to correct the aircraft from titling and therefore possibly stalling due to the engines. The engines are much bigger and placed further forward than previous design (smaller engines) and at full thrust the nose can drop so the MCAS steps in to prevent this through the stabilisers also(?).
I refer back to my original post, I guess that you were just throwing in a bit of lightheartedness as yes I don’t profess to be an engineer, or be any expert at all but as per this snippet in today’s Times I don’t think I was completely off the ball on what I was attempting to understand about MCAS, engine placement etc. See attached. Then again this is the news, what do they know?!

If you weren’t joking and simply being a bit disrespectful to a generally interesting conversation then I would also suggest to stop reading the thread.

Silver Fox and bisonrav like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Airlines with the most 73M

Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BOH
Well the middle point made by T8191 regarding the reason for this software module to counteract the tendency to pitch down is entirely correct. It is because of the increased thrust / repositioning of the engines this module is necessary on the MAX series. Period. Why the sneering agression?
Isn't MCAS intended to counteract a tendency to pitch up, not down? If so, quote number one within DYKWIA's post would be plain wrong.

I have read the posts on the PPRuNe thread about an increasing tendency to pitch up as the stall approaches being caused by aerodynamic effects from the engine nacelles, rather than from pitch/power coupling, but I have no way of knowing whether those posts are accurate or not. There has, after all, also been reference to the Bournemouth 737 incident, which was some years ago and therefore not in a MAX. As others have said, there is no guarantee that anyone posting anything on PPRuNe has ever flown anything other than MS Flight Simulator, or perhaps not even anything more complex than a TV remote control switching to Air Crash Investigation.
MSPeconomist, T8191 and volar like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:29 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't MCAS intended to counteract a tendency to pitch up, not down? If so, quote number one within DYKWIA's post would be plain wrong.

I have read the posts on the PPRuNe thread about an increasing tendency to pitch up as the stall approaches being caused by aerodynamic effects from the engine nacelles, rather than from pitch/power coupling, but I have no way of knowing whether those posts are accurate or not. There has, after all, also been reference to the Bournemouth 737 incident, which was some years ago and therefore not in a MAX. As others have said, there is no guarantee that anyone posting anything on PPRuNe has ever flown anything other than MS Flight Simulator, or perhaps not even anything more complex than a TV remote control switching to Air Crash Investigation.
Sorry yes, got my counteracts the wrong way round. MCAS exists to force a pitch DOWN to counteract the pitch UP tendency caused by the larger engines + further forward mounting. Corrected my original now ^
Globaliser and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:45 am

Some of the actual pilots are dodgy too on pprune. The 'these kids can't fly' type. I doubt many pilots understand safety critical desiign either. So it's a mishmash. Like here for that matter.

There's enough though to hypothesise convincingly that a sensor failure close to the ground wasn't adequately mitigated by the software design.
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Some of the actual pilots are dodgy too on pprune. The 'these kids can't fly' type. I doubt many pilots understand safety critical desiign either. So it's a mishmash. Like here for that matter.

There's enough though to hypothesise convincingly that a sensor failure close to the ground wasn't adequately mitigated by the software design.
At least I can claim to have read all 1,359 posts, and have the ability to filter information, and have checked a few 'profiles'.

I do have a few hours in light aircraft [Civ and Mil], and an expired PPL, so I understand some of it! But I haven't had Flight Sim for many, many years.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
At least I can claim to have read all 1,359 posts, and have the ability to filter information, and have checked a few 'profiles'.

I do have a few hours in light aircraft [Civ and Mil], and an expired PPL, so I understand some of it! But I haven't had Flight Sim for many, many years.
I’ve read the entire post too. Is there a badge for that?

There is a large element of I know more than you on there. I’ll wait for the investigation outcome to be published.
T8191 and simonrp84 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
@bisonrav and @T8191 I, for one, appreciate your input here. There is so much ‘out there’ and at least this thread is manageable in size, sufficiently researched/informed and unbiased.
Tiger_lily and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass

I'd love to know what the "new" info was that came to light yesterday that finally persuaded Transport Canada and then the FAA
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:20 am

On Aviaton Herald they have the report on the Lion Air crash.
this paragraph may or may not be relavent:

For the past several months and in the aftermath of Lion Air Flight 610, Boeing has been developing a flight control software enhancement for the 737 MAX, designed to make an already safe aircraft even safer. This includes updates to the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight control law, pilot displays, operation manuals and crew training. The enhanced flight control law incorporates angle of attack (AOA) inputs, limits stabilizer trim commands in response to an erroneous angle of attack reading, and provides a limit to the stabilizer command in order to retain elevator authority.

The FAA says it anticipates mandating this software enhancement with an Airworthiness Directive (AD) no later than April. We have worked with the FAA in development of this software enhancement.

It is important to note that the FAA is not mandating any further action at this time, and the required actions in AD2018-23.5 continue to be appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.