Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Ethiopian doesn't have an unblemished reputation. But that's not the point, an airliner should be flyable by the worst case qualified pilot. If this is MCAS on both accidents - not established yet - Then evidently that bar was not reached.

Plenty of commentators lamenting excess of automation, but this really isn't a case of that. It appears to be an ill-thought through software fix to a 60 year old design (they grafted on more efficient engines, thereby radically changing the CoG, and the system cuts in only during manual flight. Autopilot would be OK.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Ethiopian doesn't have an unblemished reputation.
So few airlines do. But for Ethiopian in recent times i remember only Beirut and a hijacking.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The US FAA surely cant ignore the closures.

Boeing have announced a Software Update for the 737 Max series; I lack any in depth understanding to comment on it!

I wonder whether Norwegian will look to wet lease A320/321s from QR.

M
Seems that they can and are.

A spokesman for Boeing confirmed the conversation and said [Boeing CEO] Muilenburg "made clear to the president that the MAX aircraft is safe."
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/12/boeing-ceo-trump-737-max-safe-1218439

Quite disturbing really.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by BOH
So a large number of countries have now banned the aircraft from their airspace. But not yet the US - it makes the US FAA look kind of in cahoots with Boeing?
You're surely not suggesting that a government led by Donald Trump would let any partisan, government-in-cahoots-with-Boeing, we-can't-possibly-be-at-fault-we're-American sort of shenanigans occur?

Oh, hang on...

Umm....
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
That's not how the FAA works. They're proceeding by the book, other countries have the luxury of not being the certifying authority.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Software update is only part of the issue.

737Max has left and right Angle of attack sensors (I have read that A320 has three AOA sensors). If one gives and erroneous reading, the MCAS defaults to it where with A320, with one erroneous reading it checks with the other two and goes with the two that agree. By the way two sensors is inherently STUPID! How do you know which one is giving the "erroneous" reading? This is clearly a design flaw leading to a single point failure mode with MCAS software.

To completely solve the issue (erroneous AOA input), Boeing needs to go to three AOA sensors and modify the software to demand elimination of the outlier seniors input.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mnhusker
Software update is only part of the issue.

737Max has left and right Angle of attack sensors (I have read that A320 has three AOA sensors). If one gives and erroneous reading, the MCAS defaults to it where with A320, with one erroneous reading it checks with the other two and goes with the two that agree. By the way two sensors is inherently STUPID! How do you know which one is giving the "erroneous" reading? This is clearly a design flaw leading to a single point failure mode with MCAS software.

To completely solve the issue (erroneous AOA input), Boeing needs to go to three AOA sensors and modify the software to demand elimination of the outlier seniors input.
Or, in the circumstance where one of the two sets of data is in disagreement, go into "failure mode" (in the same way an Airbus would if two of the three sets of data is in disagreement).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mnhusker

Would this actually "completely solve" the problem? ISTR that the underlying chain of events at Perpignan was that two out of the three AoA sensors were identically wrong, so the correct reading was out-voted: Crash: Air New Zealand A320 near Perpignan on Nov 27th 2008, impacted Mediterranean Sea
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
What makes me uncomfortable is the issue that made MCAS necessary in the first place (i.e. CofG issue). That element makes me uncomfortable regardless of the outcome of this investigation.
David_Doyle, EuropeanPete and Stez like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t the reason MCAS is there in the first place is to get the Max to handle the same as the previous generation 737. In doing this, they can achieve a single type rating for pilots. Whilst it may inconvenience the airlines, and impact sales, wouldn’t the safest outcome be to ditch the MCAS and have two type ratings?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t the reason MCAS is there in the first place is to get the Max to handle the same as the previous generation 737. In doing this, they can achieve a single type rating for pilots. Whilst it may inconvenience the airlines, and impact sales, wouldn’t the safest outcome be to ditch the MCAS and have two type ratings?
That would signal the end of the 737 MAX and probably the 737 program. No airline would buy it.

I'm also not sure if the MCAS software is there just to make it handle like the old one, or if it's actually unstable without it.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Correct me if I’m wrong but as I understand it MCAS is there to correct the aircraft from titling and therefore possibly stalling due to the engines. The engines are much bigger and placed further forward than previous design (smaller engines) and at full thrust the nose can drop so the MCAS steps in to prevent this through the stabilisers also(?).

Separately, as with most large corporate the constant obsession with saving costs, driving profit and shareholder value with sometimes the disregard of customer experience, as we’ve seen with BA in recent years, doesn’t always bode well in the end.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
So now Canada has grounded the 737 max.. will this force the hand of the FAA?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Wasn't there some talk previously of making the lading gear longer which would raise the aircraft enough to move the engines back a bit, thus resolving the CoG problem?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
It seems the US have finally caught up...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47562727

BBC reporting that Trump has announced that the FAA are grounding the 73M...

US President Donald Trump has said the US Federal Aviation Administration will ground the Boeing 737 Max 8 - the aircraft in Sunday's crash in Ethiopia.

The FAA had previously held out while many countries banned the Max 8 from flying over their airspace.

All 157 people on board the Ethiopian Airlines flight were killed when it crashed just minutes after take-off.

It was the second fatal Max 8 disaster in six months, after one crashed over Indonesia in October, killing 189.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.