Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This must mean the MAX 8 and MAX 9, not the regular (nonMAX) or NG 737-800 and 737-900.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by GGla
MAX only or is that the way to designate a Max (with the normal ones being 737-800/900)?
7M8 or 7M9 is the designation for the MAX aircraft. 737-800 etc is the previous generation ( called the "New Generation" - to distinguish it from the 737 Classic )
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by 1010101
It will be interesting to see how long the FAA holds out.
FAA has gambled on this one. I'm guessing they will want to wait for an early indication from the flight recorders pointing to the issue. If it is obvious it was a pilot error, they'll be vindicated. But if there isn't a quick obvious cause, they will have no choice but to issue grounding notice as well. My guess is they are just waiting for a quick review of the flight recorder.

It's surprising that China led the way in this one. Though one thing that will happen now is Boeing is absolutely going to be in damage control mode and I'm guessing all key 737 personnel are now involved in this one way or another. I got an impression that Boeing didn't take it serious enough after Lion Air crash and I doubt they would have even after this Ethopian Air had it not been for this momentum of various airspaces being closed for 737 Max.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
it is obvious it was a pilot error, they'll be vindicated.
... or it was obvious that the Captain was overwhelmed by the complexity of a system that was supposed to help him, but which instead drove him and everyone else into the ground.
SaraJH likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
FAA has gambled on this one. I'm guessing they will want to wait for an early indication from the flight recorders pointing to the issue. If it is obvious it was a pilot error, they'll be vindicated. But if there isn't a quick obvious cause, they will have no choice but to issue grounding notice as well. My guess is they are just waiting for a quick review of the flight recorder.
I don't share your optimism I'm afraid. I suspect it's more like every lobbyist Boeing has ever heard of has been working overtime today.
Ldnn1, SaraJH and Milwaukee like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Deltus
That Norwegian MAX that got stuck in Iran for 2 months (LN-BKE) must now be one of the least productive jets in aviation history!

Delivered to Norwegian on 30th October, stuck on the ground in Iran from December to February, rescued 3 weeks ago and then grounded today...
In proportion to its age yes, but not quite beating GZBJE yet!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by 1010101
I don't share your optimism I'm afraid. I suspect it's more like every lobbyist Boeing has ever heard of has been working overtime today.
And possibly the airlines, although they may not be that keen to continue flying given internal and external concerns.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
It troubles me that this is the second fatal accident of such a modern plane in such a short period of time. That said; unfortunate accidents do happen.

I understand the ruling of the CAA; and fully expect the FAA to follow through. If the reports are true that Boeing have created a system to help pilots; but when it fails it actually forces the plane into such a position it will crash; then I hope Boeing are not lobbying the FAA to keep them up in the sky and are spending that money to get this problem fixed.

Whilst new to FT; would posters be slightly kinder to the situation and the pilots of the crashed plane? I do not know all the facts; but to suggest the pilot was clearly 'ill-trained' to deal with the issue is clearly overdone.
SaraJH likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Not at all surprising China took the lead, there are geopolitical aspects to this
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
India has now also joined the party according to the BBC (sorry if I’ve missed this upthread)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The US FAA surely cant ignore the closures.

Boeing have announced a Software Update for the 737 Max series; I lack any in depth understanding to comment on it!

I wonder whether Norwegian will look to wet lease A320/321s from QR.

M
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I think the FAA are probably letter of the law correct, but it would be a brave person who put their reputation out as a hostage to fortune when others are taking a cautious line.

Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I got an impression that Boeing didn't take it serious enough after Lion Air crash and I doubt they would have even after this Ethopian Air had it not been for this momentum of various airspaces being closed for 737 Max.

Lion Air operates in the tainted Indonesian environment. It was always going to to be easy for Boeing to allow that reputation for lax regulation and compliance to dominate the chatter around the accident, while paddling furiously under the waterline to resolve the fundamental issues.

But it seems the paddling wasn't fast enough.

And a world major airline with an uncluttered reputation took the next hit.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by GGla
MAX only or is that the way to designate a Max (with the normal ones being 737-800/900)?
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
It's from that highly technical source known as the Beeb so I'm going to say it probably just covers the Max
That is correct, it does not affect 737-800 or 737-900. Only the 737-8 and 737-9 (which are Max ones but they don't always say "Max" next to it, which makes it a bit confusing. e.g. EASA's airworthiness directive applicability only says 737-8 and 737-9 without "max" for instance.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by APUBleed
Exactly. We definitely can’t conclude that Boeing is at fault yet. However, the accident does certainly cause an eye brow to be raised and I am sure we, especially Boeing, are eager to find the cause as soon as possible. If it does end up being a related issue to the Lion Air crash, or another failure - I will be incredibly, incredibly upset and irritated at the Boeing corporation. However, from a safety perspective you can absolutely guarantuee Boeing will invest every dollar to ensure this will not happen again because it will kill their company otherwise. If passengers won’t fly Boeing, airlines won’t buy Boeing.

All true, in a sense, but the nightmares with the Screamliner - which was on my own personal no-fly list for quite a long time - shows that passenger preference doesn't really drive airline purchasing decisions. If it were otherwise (and I wish it were) the A380 wouldn't be ceasing production.

Separately, I see that the Donald - surely the greatest aviation expert in the world today - has weighed in with his own opinion on Twatter:
"Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are needed, and the complexity creates danger. All of this for great cost yet very little gain. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want Albert Einstein to be my pilot. I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.