Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by antichef
The first part would be potentially more tricky. Depends where they are. If not in UK airspace then they can't come in and divert to wherever their ops tell them. If in UK airspace they may not have a divert option outside the UK so will land and be stuck where they are.
Is it always like this? Might the wording of an order on any particular occasion perhaps allow any airborne flight to complete its planned journey, with the aircraft then grounded upon landing? I can't immediately see how to get hold of the CAA's actual order, rather than the press release.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by tedcruz
Boeing are going to have to rack their brains as to what to do if more countries start following the UK.
They're not going to. I'm sure they already have.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
If this ban last for a significant time, I wonder if this could sink Norwegian who are not in the best shape already. Time will tell.
I assume that the ban means that if any MAX aircraft are currently parked in the UK by owned by a foreign carrier, they can't even be ferried back home form use on other routes? Similarly, for example if one is currently at LHR, it would accrue enormous parking fees until a time that the ban is lifted, and if the ban becomes permanent, the only option would be to scrap the aircraft right where it is in the UK?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is it always like this? Might the wording of an order on any particular occasion perhaps allow any airborne flight to complete its planned journey, with the aircraft then grounded upon landing? I can't immediately see how to get hold of the CAA's actual order, rather than the press release.
I agree that it could be either way. But an operator granted permission to continue and land might not even want to do that - and be confined indefinitely when they they could abandon the sector and return to base and continue in use.

In any event in about an hour it will be an irrelevance as the issue will have passed. The few of them that are in the air and headed this way will have landed or gone away!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I agree that it could be either way. But an operator granted permission to continue and land might not even want to do that - and be confined indefinitely when they they could abandon the sector and return to base and continue in use.
Of course. But each operator would then have the option to take its passengers where they expected to go - particularly if that specific aircraft was in any event returning to base. Other operators could decide whether it would be better to do that, or to divert and then re-route the stranded passengers. And, of course, some might take a guess as to whether a one-off exemption for a ferry flight of a stranded aircraft out of the UK might later be given.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:03 am

In any event in about an hour it will be an irrelevance as the issue will have passed. The few of them that are in the air and headed this way will have landed or gone away!
Except any that are enroute from the USA or Canada. Both Norwegian and Air Canada have used the type to the UK. They may not have the fuel to turn back.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Blue :(
Looks like the're going to let flight already in the air enter UK airspace to land as BY485 Marrakesh - Manchester is now over UK air space. Two Turkish Airlines flights still flying to UK (Gatwick and Manchester).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by BlackSkyuk
Looks like the're going to let flight already in the air enter UK airspace to land as BY485 Marrakesh - Manchester is now over UK air space. Two Turkish Airlines flights still flying to UK (Gatwick and Manchester).
It would be rather barbaric to shoot them down rather than allow them to continue.

I wonder if the Turkish aircraft will be allowed to leave?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
DQ-FAB, Fiji's Max8, was enroute to SYD from NAN when CASA barred it. It landed at SYD but tomorrow morning's departure has been cancelled. I am not sure if they will be allowed to ferry it back to NAN empty but of course it has consequences if they are not allowed to - parking charges for a start, and operational aspects (e.g. operating to where they are still allowed to).

Looking at that situation illustrates the possibility that it might be in their interest not to land in the UK if the fuel allows, and they are short of aircraft and they are intending to keep using the aircraft in the meantime (obviously with the exception of UK-based aircraft).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:10 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Norwegian is grounding its fleet of MAX, not just in the UK but everywhere.

https://media.uk.norwegian.com/pressreleases
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
DQ-FAB, Fiji's Max8, was enroute to SYD from NAN when CASA barred it. It landed at SYD but tomorrow morning's departure has been cancelled. I am not sure if they will be allowed to ferry it back to NAN empty but of course it has consequences if they are not allowed to - parking charges for a start, and operational aspects (e.g. operating to where they are still allowed to).

Looking at that situation illustrates the possibility that it might be in their interest not to land in the UK if the fuel allows, and they are short of aircraft and they are intending to keep using the aircraft in the meantime (obviously with the exception of UK-based aircraft).
I am surprised France at the very least has not jumped on the bandwagon, with their interest in Airbus.
LTN Phobia, SaraJH and Takiteasy like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response to post # 100 above regarding Norwegian's grounding decision:

Ouch. That poor airline just can't seem to win.

Is it known where their MAX aircraft are currently and what fraction of the fleet they comprise? Some parking places would be worse than other in terms of costs.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Is it known where their MAX aircraft are currently and what fraction of the fleet they comprise? Some parking places would be worse than other in terms of costs.
Norwegian have 110 B737 of which only a few are max.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As a statement of the glaringly obvious ... Boeing seem to have created a global aviation disaster! I wonder if the airlines have any comeback on this ... although I doubt it.

EDIT ... comment from PPRuNe ... “In the event of a quality failure of similar magnitude to the 787/RR issues then Boeing at the end of the day...” Ouch!

But the increased automaticity allegedly involved does seem to suggest a degree of overcomplication to what was, once, a relatively straightforward aircraft to operate.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 12, 2019 at 8:33 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:18 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Norwegian Air Shuttle has 8 MAX, based in Scandinavia
Norwegian Air Internation has 9 MAX, based in UK and Ireland.

No clue where they currently are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.