Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by KARFA
Do we even know what went wrong on the Ethiopian flight? if not how can one conclude the aircraft isn’t safe?
We know that something went horribly wrong on both the Lion Air flight, and the Ethiopian one.

We know that whatever went wrong, went wrong in the very same phase of flight.

We now that in both cases the pilots were unable to cope with whatever went wrong.

Now without indulging in the sophistry of whether or not that makes the aircraft unsafe, or makes the operation of the aircraft safe only by crew with a very specific skill set ..... it seems prudent to avoid flying the machines until there is clarity.

Yesterday i was flying Malindo, an airline owned by Lion Air group. i checked the aircraft type and I'd have had no problem switching carriers if it had been a MAX.
mrow, LTN Phobia, Schwann and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO (IANAP = I am not a pilot), this would work for pilots with lots of hours flying for major (legacy) first world carriers, but not when the cockpit crew consists of only two, with at least one being very inexperienced. Having a third person to improve crew resource management wouldn't be cost effective, so that wouldn't fly as a solution, nor could having only very experienced pilots be mandates for some of these carriers.
I'm not sure I follow this at all.

I avoid getting involved in technical discussions, but my clear understanding of cockpit protocol is that only one pilot is in command. Both pilots are well-trained, and at least one, designated the captain, will have significant numbers of hours' experience. The captain will allocate phases of the flight to him/herself or to his/her copilot, but will be ready to take back command where appropriate and if required.

The phrase "at least one being very inexperienced" implies that there could be two very inexperienced pilots in the cockpit. I'd hope that in all regulatory jurisdictions a captain's stripes are earned through training and experience. First officers have to gain experience and they do so on active duty in both legacy carrier and others.

Note the circumstances of the Air France AF447 disaster, a disaster in one of your cited legacy, first-world carriers, carrying three pilots to boot. In this case two relatively inexperienced co-pilots were in the cockpit and their behaviour, in turn as pilot flying the aircraft, exacerbated the effects of instrument malfunction : the vastly more experienced captain was resting during the period during which recovery of safe flight was likely possible.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Mar 11, 2019 at 9:33 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Silkair now suspending...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...airlines-crash
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Just back to BA related stuff, you can end up on a 737 MAX via AA and I guess codeshares. I'm booked on one during the Babybus run though this is an AA ticket.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
By "737 system", do you mean MCAS?

If so, which was the second crash to which MCAS is known to have contributed?
possibly = not certain

used when something is not certain
or
used to agree or disagree when some doubt is involved

Anyway, with major airlines now beginning to ground them it wouldn't surprise me if the whole fleet is taken out of service by the end of the week.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
I believe it's CAAS (Singapore CAA) rather than Silkair's decision and they are not allowing any Max (not just max 8) to come into SIN either.

According to Reuters CASA (Australia) have chosen to ban Max (not sure if it's just 8 or all series) to/from Australia. I do not believe there is one on the Australian register yet, although I think VA has some on order.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 12, 2019 at 2:19 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew on the ZS-ZCA on 6 March (CPT-JNB). The captain delighted in telling the passengers how exciting he was to be flying such a new aircraft. Indeed it did look very shiny and new, particularly compared to the out going flight.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TCX69
Comair will be using Mango 737–300 ZS–VDB tomorrow to operate some of the JNB sectors that ZS–ZCA should of been operating.
I imagine some passenger confusion at the gate when they are directed to an orange aircraft. There are those in SA who fly BA and Kulula to avoid the state-owned SAA and its subsidiaries.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9039113
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
And now Australia, per ABC News:

Boeing 737 MAX 8 operations suspended in Australia after Ethiopian Airlines crash
​​​​​​Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) says it is suspending operations of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 plane in Australia after a deadly crash killed 157 people in Ethiopia at the weekend.

Fiji Airways was the only airline flying the MAX 8 into Australia after Singapore's Silk Air grounded its fleet early today.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please let us know what reaction you get over there.
I appear to have been politely ignored, but at least my post wasn't deleted [yet!]/
wrp96, SaraJH and argonath like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:21 am

Can i ask a stupid question? whats the difference between the 787-800 and the 787 800 Max or are they the same plane?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Can i ask a stupid question? whats the difference between the 787-800 and the 787 800 Max or are they the same plane?
The 737 MAX 8 is the latest iteration of the original 737. The 737-800 was part of the previous iteration. It goes:

737 Original (100, 200)
737 Classic (300, 400, 500)
737 Next Generation (600, 700, 800, 900)
737 MAX (7, 8, 9, 10)

The increasing counts are not newer versions within a generation, but different sizes within the same generation.

The major difference from the Next Generation to the MAX is a completely new engine. There are also some aerodynamic tweaks and other bits and pieces, including a piece of software designed to make it handle like the previous Next Generation aircraft. It's this that the focus is on in this accident.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
We know that something went horribly wrong on both the Lion Air flight, and the Ethiopian one.

We know that whatever went wrong, went wrong in the very same phase of flight.

We now that in both cases the pilots were unable to cope with whatever went wrong.
I don't think there is any aircraft type I regularly fly on which you couldn't say those things about though. Take-off (and landing) is inherently one of those phases of flight where things can go wrong - there are fewer fatal accidents when planes are in the cruise.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think there is any aircraft type I regularly fly on which you couldn't say those things about though. Take-off (and landing) is inherently one of those phases of flight where things can go wrong - there are fewer fatal accidents when planes are in the cruise.
I think you're being deliberately obtuse here. The 737 MAX has had the worst entry into service of any major new aircraft in decades, and everything centres around something very specific going wrong, in a very specific stage of flight. For whatever reason, in both crashes it has had issues maintaining a stable altitude around 5-10 minutes after takeoff.

If it really were nothing to worry about, half of them wouldn't be grounded by now with more being announced every day.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1010101
I think you're being deliberately obtuse here. The 737 MAX has had the worst entry into service of any major new aircraft in decades, and everything centres around something very specific going wrong, in a very specific stage of flight. For whatever reason, in both crashes it has had issues maintaining a stable altitude around 5-10 minutes after takeoff.

If it really were nothing to worry about, half of them wouldn't be grounded by now with more being announced every day.
Apologies, I am not trying to be obtuse. Just giving my opinion as I guess we all are on here. My own feeling is that if I had a flight on a MAX coming up I wouldn't seek to change it, but I respect others think differently which is of course perfectly fine

I think when we get some information on the latest incident that will serve to provide a clearer picture of whether there is a problem, or whether this is just an unlucky coincidence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.