Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by KARFA

the memory actions for a runaway stabiliser trim are very clear and short and include disengaging the autopilot (if engaged), moving both stab trim cutout switches to cutout, and trimming manually.

i haven’t see anything which suggests the auto throttle system was malfunctioning for the lion air incident so no reason to touch that.
I got the feeling that MCAS still operated even in the circumstances you describe. I got somewhat befuddled by the PPRuNe technical details.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
I got the feeling that MCAS still operated even in the circumstances you describe. I got somewhat befuddled by the PPRuNe technical details.
my understanding is that it does not operate once the switches are at cutout. I haven’t read pprune so not sure what has been said on there.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Temps
I'm flying to Livingstone tomorrow on comair, thankfully it's a 737-800 from 2007. Really don't fancy getting on a Max 8.
comair have announced on Reuters they are grounding their 737max aircraft (so following China, Indonesia, Caymans, Ethiopia. Royal Air Maroc’s slso grounded).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
My understanding is that MCAS is only enabled when a) the autopilot is not engaged and b) the flaps are retracted. Whilst it does command a nose down attitude and that will not be affected by yoke inputs, it should be overridden by either a) disabling the system or b) manual trim input.

The idea behind the system is eminently sensible to counteract unexpected changes in the pitch of the aircraft.

However, the main issue (based solely on Lion Air) is that it is reliant on the AoA sensors and there are only 2 of them. If one of he sensors provides erroneous information you would expect that the system would deactivate. It appears this is not the case and requires manual deactivation. The sensible fix would be to amend the system such that disagreement between the 2 sets of data provided automatically deactivates MCAS.

This would, I believe, be similar to Airbus whereby if 1 (of 3) systems is in disagreement it is ignored and if 2 (out of 3) fail then “Normal Law” is deactivated and it is for the pilots to manually control the aircraft.

There’s a bit more on MCAS here
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, dammit, I've posted that on PPRuNe. I wonder how long that will last!

https://www.pprune.org/10414149-post460.html
Please let us know what reaction you get over there.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by cauchy
It might be subbed at a later date. If you definitely don't want to travel on a MAX 8 then you are best off booking another airline now.
As you will see if you read my post, I have already acknowledged the possibility of a type substitution on this sector. Given the relative numbers in the Comair fleet, I think your advice (given you have zero knowledge of the overall itinerary, purpose of travel, number of travellers etc.) is, let me put this politely, ill-founded, extreme and unlooked-for.

Do we even know what went wrong on the Ethiopian flight? if not how can one conclude the aircraft isn’t safe?
Alas perception can be as strong as fact....

Out of interest what specifically makes you uncomfortable on a 737 with MCAS and not uncomfortable on an Airbus which has equivalent stall protection systems? The Airbus is far more complicated and has far more layers of automation and protections than the 737.
Well the fact the 737 system has caused one, possibly two fatal crashes in its 2 years of existence would be pretty specific.

It's rather like software. You can add patches, new code and whatever else over an old system, or you can write something completely new from scratch. Both will achieve the same result but (assuming you write it properly) one will be far simpler, easier to troubleshoot and less likely to go wrong every time you add something new to it.
BA6501 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 1010101
Well the fact the 737 system has caused one, possibly two fatal crashes in its 2 years of existence would be pretty specific.
By "737 system", do you mean MCAS?

If so, which was the second crash to which MCAS is known to have contributed?
Diver Boy likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:00 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 8:37 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by djbenedict

As you will see if you read my post, I have already acknowledged the possibility of a type substitution on this sector. Given the relative numbers in the Comair fleet, I think your advice (given you have zero knowledge of the overall itinerary, purpose of travel, number of travellers etc.) is, let me put this politely, ill-founded, extreme and unlooked-for.

Oh dear - that was unintended, sorry. My point is simply that Comair is notorious for substitutions,
djbenedict likes this.

Last edited by cauchy; Mar 11, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
News just in: MEXICO'S AEROMEXICO SAYS HAS DECIDED TO SUSPEND THE OPERATION OF ITS SIX BOEING 737 MAX 8 PLANES UNTIL IT HAS CLEAR INFORMATION ABOUT ETHIOPIA INVESTIGATION
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
More: Communique from argentine pilots association announcing decision to not permit members to fly 737 max planes
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
For me, the question is can we at this point say, for sure, it’s not caused or contributed to by aircraft malfunction? If not, I’d personally rather wait until that point arrives before flying on one.
SaraJH likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The disturbing part of this from the pprune thread is that with runaway trim during takeoff, both pilots need to pull back with considerable force (60kg I think) AND find and follow a checklist AND flick a switch, while heading groundwards fast. it seems a difficult situation to manage to put it mildly.

If this crash turns out to be similar to Lionair (which itself hasn't been proved to be MCAS yet) then it's a serious design defect. I imagine the FDR and CVR will be looked at very expeditiously and we'll be told soon. Personally I'd be very wary of getting onto a 737 max until this has been done.

argonath likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.