Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
US FAA joins the ban

Just seen this reported on the BBC website

[ update - just beaten to it!]
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:47 pm

And now USA will be grounding them too ! I'm glad it's come to this and now Boeing will have no choice but to fix whatever it is before they are allowed to fly those planes again.

Whatever may be the real intention of China to start grounding those planes, I'm glad they did it. Boeing wouldn't have looked at this accident seriously enough if the groundings hadn't gotten this level of momentum
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
FAA's Twitter post:

Not 'abundance of caution' etc - instead, "based on new evidence from the site" and "satellite data". Now this is getting pretty serious for Boeing, I'd say?

Link to FAA's Emergency Order of Prohibition:
https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/med...ency_Order.pdf

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 13, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The MCAS issue actually relates to the aerodynamic lift generated by the bigger and relocated engine cowlings, and the need to compensate for that at high Angle of Attack.

You can see I have been reading PPRuNe intensively!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, BTW, the Channel Islands authorities have banned the MAX from CI airspace [up to FL120, IIRC] ... not that the MAX could use any of our airports anyway!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
The MCAS issue actually relates to the aerodynamic lift generated by the bigger and relocated engine cowlings, and the need to compensate for that at high Angle of Attack.

And does anyone know if the 777x has the same issue? It has bigger engines and wings. I can’t find any information linking 777x and MCAS.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by David_Doyle

And does anyone know if the 777x has the same issue? It has bigger engines and wings. I can’t find any information linking 777x and MCAS.
PPRuNe had a passing comment, but nothing substantive. I suspect Boingggg will be looking at its processes right now!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by T8191

pprune was quite fun to read, I learned a bunch (loved physics in school) and got even more alarmed at how pilots were debating each other on the best way to handle MCAS issues, something that was supposed to have been settled after Lion Air!
T8191 and SaraJH like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:51 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by David_Doyle

Highly unlikely! Proportionally the 777x engines are not that much bigger and not being relocated further forward from the wing either. Non issue.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOH
Highly unlikely! Proportionally the 777x engines are not that much bigger and not being relocated further forward from the wing either. Non issue.
Apart from MCAS [if used] depending on one AoA sensor?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW ... yes, JER can take the MAX ... my error.

We have had a JER-TFS substituted from a MAX schedule.
<embarrassed>
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The episode of Air Crash Investigation that features this incident will make very interesting viewing I’m sure.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryanair negotiating lower prices with Boeing, bit of a one way bet. O'Leary is a great contrarian. But OT here I guess.

Waiting to see see what happens with my one MAX sector on AA, but as it's in August I suspect I amount be able to do a creative 9 sector rerouting.

Ergonomically MCAS seems to be a nightmare. It actually ratchets up the stress levels at a time of crisis. I wouldn't dare say this on pprune, but I strongly suspect disorientation and panic was a factor, and/or the jackscrew broke at the end. That seems to be the best 'found on the site' reason for changing tack.

MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryanair negotiating lower prices with Boeing, bit of a one way bet. O'Leary is a great contrarian. But OT here I guess.

Waiting to see see what happens with my one MAX sector on AA, but as it's in August I suspect I amount be able to do a creative 9 sector rerouting.

Ergonomically MCAS seems to be a nightmare. It actually ratchets up the stress levels at a time of crisis. I wouldn't dare say this on pprune, but I strongly suspect disorientation and panic was a factor, and/or the jackscrew broke at the end. That seems to be the best 'found on the site' reason for changing tack.

Jackscrew?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:53 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Starting to look like some seeious systematic issues at Boeing. Their last two new aircraft types have both had a worldwide grounding order issued, first the 787 but thankfully no crashes and then the 737Max after 300+ deaths. Quite shocking really!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.