Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Leg No-Show: Urgent Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I a doing JFK ex DUB in a few weeks and opted to stay the night before in DUB... I am too risk averse.

A couple of people said "but what if the night stopping aircraft does not come out?" but, what if the aircraft on the turnaround goes tech... Endless possibilities which could throw a spanner in the works.
Good cal; plus who doesn't enjoy an extra day in Dublin, it's a great city!

In response to the "endless possibilities"; going out the day prior also gives you more alternatives to buffer against those endless possibilities. Well your planned flight got cancelled; well how about alternative airline A, B, or C that can still get me to DUB. It is a lot easier to find alternatives getting you into DUB when you have a 16 hour time frame to work with than a 4 hour window.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Now safely and happily arrived in BKK. Kicking about for a few hours, then off to VTE.

-- H
IFE Wizard, wrp96 and SaraJH like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
… but to continue: I already have my next Thai trip booked (at least, the AMS/LHR/BKK BA part). I shall seriously consider what has happened this time (and last time) when booking my locator flights to/from AMS. Generally, the return trip is far less risky/stressful. Depending on time of year and BA schedules, the BKK-LHR-AMS trip will either involve an overnight at LHR or a late arrival at AMS (in which case I book a night at the Mercure inside the Schiphol terminal).

In the case of a missed (late night) LHR-AMS connexion, I can just get alternative transport (train, bus or even an LCC flight) up to GLA and drop the LHR-AMS and AMS-GLA flights (no remaining flights to lose). A late arrival if staying overnight at LHR is no problem.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please plan to overnight in AMS on the outbound, ideally by not taking the last KLM flight from GLA to AMS of the night. There are reasonable/pleasant hotels at AMS or you can go into town for the evening. In fact, if you have an afternoon departure, you could even go to The Hague for the night since it's a short and easy train ride with frequent service.
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Coming a bit late to this thread: I was in a similar situation to the OP last year. Was on the last easyjet flight of the day to INV to start a trip from there. By about 11pm it Was cancelled. At that time there was no longer any sensible way of getting to INV (two G&Ts in the lounge didn't help and public transport to the far end of Britain is surprisingly bad).

In the end we made our way directly to LHR the next morning, arriving 3.5 hours early. After providing evidence of the cancelled easyjet flight and about 30 minutes of wild typing and calling in supervisors, everything turned out well. At the time it appeared like standard procedure to help passengers in a situation like this, however us being on a non-BA flight initially was what required the supervisor approval.

It was a pretty stressful experience - would not be keen to repeat that one...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:28 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I believe that if this had been booked through a travel agent, even though it is separate KLM and BA tickets, because it would be on one itinerary the airlines would need to sort you out in the case of IRROPS. When you do book this as one itinerary, when you look in KLM's manage my booking, you can see the BA flights, and vice versa - so the airlines have visibility to your whole itinerary.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
exEU is all about risk, I think ex DUB is probably one of the lower risk options. There must be over 50 flights a day between EI, BA and FR, from any ‘London’ airport you care to consider. If an 18/1900 flight went wrong, there is still a good chance of getting to DUB that evening, I would say. Bar a weather disaster, in which case all bets would be off and the chance of a re-route pretty good anyway.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
exEU is all about risk, I think ex DUB is probably one of the lower risk options. There must be over 50 flights a day between EI, BA and FR, from any ‘London’ airport you care to consider. If an 18/1900 flight went wrong, there is still a good chance of getting to DUB that evening, I would say. Bar a weather disaster, in which case all bets would be off and the chance of a re-route pretty good anyway.
I am not sure I agree, DUB has a risk factor with B2B due to the fact there is no direct access to airside after arrival, whereas AMS is at the other end of that scale - you have to go via airside to do anything. The most import de-risk factor is B2B, so I would say AMS remains much less risky. However both DUB and AMS suffer from weather and capacity issues, in some ways worse than LHR, and much worse than LGW. So BRU, CPH, INV, JER, LUX, HAM, MXP, GVA, DUS, BCN, PMI are better considerations for those wanting to reduce risk in bad weather.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
I believe that if this had been booked through a travel agent, even though it is separate KLM and BA tickets, because it would be on one itinerary the airlines would need to sort you out in the case of IRROPS. When you do book this as one itinerary, when you look in KLM's manage my booking, you can see the BA flights, and vice versa - so the airlines have visibility to your whole itinerary.
no that’s not how it works. It is still two separate tickets which happens to be all under the TA’s one booking code/wrapper. The KL flight may show under BA MMB ( I have similar TA bookings which mix BA and LS and the LS flight shows in ba mmb) but it is purely there for information. If it was truely one ticket then the price would be radically different from the low exAMS price that the OP would like to take advantage of.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by KARFA

no that’s not how it works. It is still two separate tickets which happens to be all under the TA’s one booking code/wrapper. The KL flight may show under BA MMB ( I have similar TA bookings which mix BA and LS and the LS flight shows in ba mmb) but it is purely there for information. If it was truely one ticket then the price would be radically different from the low exAMS price that the OP would like to take advantage of.
I agree and that’s why I was surprised by the comments upthread that BA would likely have been helpful if the OP had turned up at LHR. But was also happy and learn from those who have been in such situations. Wonder if the helpfulness would also extend to a non BAEC member.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
I agree and that’s why I was surprised by the comments upthread that BA would likely have been helpful if the OP had turned up at LHR. But was also happy and learn from those who have been in such situations. Wonder if the helpfulness would also extend to a non BAEC member.
the situations where ba has allowed starting at LHR tend to be where there is large amount of disruption and the positioning flight or first leg is cancelled or heavily delayed. It shows the advantage of positioning on BA rather than another airline as you are already at LHR so can attempt to deal with the situation and are probably more likely to be shown so leniency since it is all on the same airline. If positioning on another airline and that other airline flight was cancelled I would not expect any help from BA to allow me to start at LHR.

the point I was commenting on above is different tho and relates to protection across flights where they appear together in the booking due to being booked by a TA.
Ldnn1 and OneworldHarj like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:16 am

the situations where ba has allowed starting at LHR tend to be where there is large amount of disruption and the positioning flight or first leg is cancelled or heavily delayed. It shows the advantage of positioning on BA rather than another airline as you are already at LHR so can attempt to deal with the situation and are probably more likely to be shown so leniency since it is all on the same airline. If positioning on another airline and that other airline flight was cancelled I would not expect any help from BA to allow me to start at LHR.
The OP’s positioning was on KLM yet corporate-wage-slave, whose knowledge I would not doubt, was of the opinion BA would have likely accepted an LHR departure for just the change fee - that bit surprised me to be honest.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:20 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Due to the wind, which is presumably what led to the GLA-AMS cancellation, I think only about 25% of BA's services ran on time yesterday which is about as low as it gets. LHR suspended flights for a brief period. There must have been tens of thousands of misconnects. In other threads there were stories of people spending an hour in Flight Connection queues, and the wait time for the Gold line was way over what normally happens. I think there were only about a dozen cancellations, and a few services diverted to STN. So I'm guessing BA will still be moving misconnects today. I think if this had been midweek BA would have had a more intense set of pro-active cancellations to reduce pressure on the the airport, and AMS would have been in the frame for that.
GLA currently has overnight closures SUN-FRI with last arrival at 22:45 and last departure 23:00 due airfield works. The inbound KLM flight that overnights in GLA on Sunday night was cancelled - I assume due to delays that would have meant it missed the GLA curfew.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
The OP’s positioning was on KLM yet corporate-wage-slave, whose knowledge I would not doubt, was of the opinion BA would have likely accepted an LHR departure for just the change fee - that bit surprised me to be honest.
in post 95? I disagree the OP would have been ok, and I wouldn't describe the possibility of getting rebooked under the OP's circumstances as likely. I certainly think the chances of getting rebooked to start in London are not good if you were originally positioning on a non-BA flight - part of the problem is you probably wouldn't be LHR to try and plead your case whereas if you are positioning on BA you are in the right place to ask. I have only ever heard stories of people being rebooked to start from LHR where there positioning flight was also on BA and was disrupted.

I am glad the OP didn't have to find out tho and all ended well
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:32 am

in post 95? I disagree the OP would have been ok, and I wouldn't describe the possibility of getting rebooked under the OP's circumstances as likely. I certainly think the chances of getting rebooked to start in London are not good if you were originally positioning on a non-BA flight - part of the problem is you probably wouldn't be LHR to try and plead your case whereas if you are positioning on BA you are in the right place to ask. I have only ever heard stories of people being rebooked to start from LHR where there positioning flight was also on BA and was disrupted.

I am glad the OP didn't have to find out tho and all ended well
Yes 95 and 105. Am kinda surprised too and also glad the OP did not have to test this!
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.