Wiki Posts
Search

First Leg No-Show: Urgent Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Henry III
Very different from last time: even though I knew I'd be 12 hours late at BKK and (of course) sent many messages to She (and most of her family) explaining the situation, her phone wasn't working in Thailand and she ended up waiting faithfully at BKK for the full 12 hours. Made my heart ache so that it almost burst. This time, when I called and said what MIGHT happen, she just smiled and said, "Yeah, whatever!"
Really glad to read it all worked out.

She sounds like a nice girl not to get miffed etc. Worth the effort to go'n'see her by the sound of it!
Stez likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What a palaver just to meet the girlfriend.
Have you guys seen the ladies of Laos ?

Not a palaver at all, not at all
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by stevie
And the lesson is - stay in AMS the night before enjoying a stress free sleep.
I'm doing exactly that with family in August. Relaxing day in the city then heading back to catch the AMS-LHR-CPT.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:56 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sds1493
Glad that it seems to have worked out for OP. Wouldn't such an event be covered by the CoC:
A delayed KL flight due to weather is arguably no different to a broken down HEX or an accident on the M4.
I would agree that clause would suggest BA should show some leniency and flexibility. Three or more years ago BA customer services staff went above and beyond to help customers facing such problems. However, this is the BA of 2019 suffering under the leadership of Alex Cruz. I'm pretty sure they will not proactively assist someone in such circumstances - they will, of course, be happy to re-price a ticket or sell a new one! Just to be clear, I'm not having a go at the staff themselves, they are simply constrained by the instructions they receive from above (and the monitoring of what they do).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gms
I would agree that clause would suggest BA should show some leniency and flexibility. Three or more years ago BA customer services staff went above and beyond to help customers facing such problems. However, this is the BA of 2019 suffering under the leadership of Alex Cruz. I'm pretty sure they will not proactively assist someone in such circumstances - they will, of course, be happy to re-price a ticket or sell a new one! Just to be clear, I'm not having a go at the staff themselves, they are simply constrained by the instructions they receive from above (and the monitoring of what they do).
I'm less certain. When there is massive disruption all over the shop and lots of irrops, I would personally have expected some leeway to the OP here. It's best to exhaust all options first, but actually in terms of justification for allowing a rebook, given that tens of thousands of passengers have presumably been rescheduled in the last 24 hours, I personally think the OP may have been OK - if the OP had asked, rather than demanded a re-route. However the OP did the right thing to do everything possible to mitigate the irrop, so it is good that we will never know.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by stevie
And the lesson is - stay in AMS the night before enjoying a stress free sleep.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Things have clearly moved on from taking the 7A down to Rutherglen.

I'm glad the OP is resolved. Looking back, actually whether s/he appreciated it or not, there were actually two backups here (EDI and NCL), maybe even 2 more if we include ABZ and INV. So the initial plan - which I still think wasn't entirely wise - nevertheless had quite a fair degree of resilience to it, even if the OP was perhaps not entirely aware of it initially. The only mistake - fortunately corrected - was the expensive single ticket to London, given the alternatives.
I think this highlights lessons from this for others looking to do this in the future. Fly early (night before), but if you don't do that and are accepting of more risk, have a list of alternatives flights you know you would want to be put on, or could look to purchase on other airlines. That way you can just feed the information to the person getting you rebooked. I know whenever i travel on anything that will involve a connection I have either a list of alternatives, or a general familiarity with the alternative flights so I can quickly look up the flight numbers should I be delayed or miss a flight. I've found, as long as there are seats available, the rebooking agents are very amenable to my requests when I tell them the exact flight numbers I'm looking to be put on.
Flying Yazata, Ldnn1 and roy2016 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Henry III
So, time for a Happy Update (as some other posters here have surmised already) …

EDI-AMS left a bit earlier than the announced delay: push-back at 07:30 (not 07:45); good tail-winds and a seemingly reckless pilot (heh heh) helped making up time, and we were on stand at 10:00. If I had been on the earlier BA flight, I could easily have made it, as we pulled into a D gate just a few down from the BA departure area (generally D26 thru D29).

Anyway, I made an un-rushed walk to the BA lounge (where I am now), checking the info screens on the way. Many delayed flights (most all, actually) but very few more than 1 hour. On arrival at the lounge, the "Dragon" (hate that term when used of somebody nice) said, rather cheekily, "You know your flight is delayed?" I asked humbly, "How long?" The answer came with a wide-brimmed smile, "Currently estimated at 5 minutes! The inbound is on its way!"

So, no longer a problem of no-show and/or losing any tickets (and I even still have the return KLM booking)! And it's looking good for the onward to BKK. Just one more hurdle: I have an 8 hour layover in BKK, then an onward to VTE (on TG). (Glutton for punishment, methinks!) Still, in the unlikely event that I miss that, it's not a massive problem. I can just call the girlfriend (she's from Vientiane and will expect to meet me at the airport) and catch an overnight bus or train up to the Thai/Lao border, where she will meet me and get a Tuk-Tuk or Songthaew into town at the correct (i.e. Lao) price. Very different from last time: even though I knew I'd be 12 hours late at BKK and (of course) sent many messages to She (and most of her family) explaining the situation, her phone wasn't working in Thailand and she ended up waiting faithfully at BKK for the full 12 hours. Made my heart ache so that it almost burst. This time, when I called and said what MIGHT happen, she just smiled and said, "Yeah, whatever!" (Typically bloody Lao - so laid back you could model sofas on them!)

-- Henry-the-Embodiment-of-Happiness!

EDIT: And there was the call for boarding! @10:58.
Great to hear! All should be good for making it in time for the BKK flight then.
8 hours transit sounds like a bit of a bore, but considering the ordeal leading up to the start of the trip I would imagine that would be worth it!
If arriving on time, you can always pop into town for a few hours and have lunch before heading back to the airport.

I know the feeling of having that kind of distance in a relationship - not easy, but the sabai sabai nature of Thai and Lao mentality that you refer to can at least prevent some screaming over delays
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I have either a list of alternatives, or a general familiarity with the alternative flights so I can quickly look up the flight numbers should I be delayed or miss a flight. I've found, as long as there are seats available, the rebooking agents are very amenable to my requests when I tell them the exact flight numbers I'm looking to be put on.
I found this to be very much the case last time I flew to PHL. It was when LHR shutdown with a bit of snow and ice and there were insufficient de-icing machines. My PHL-LHR was cancelled. I was offered a flight 2 days later with them picking up the hotel tab. Instead, I knew that some flights were getting out of IAD to LHR so simply asked to be rebooked the day after IAD-LHR and gave them the flight details. BA gladly obliged without a squeak. Did a one-way car rental and job done. If you have a viable alternative in mind then it is always worth asking.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:38 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm less certain. When there is massive disruption all over the shop and lots of irrops, I would personally have expected some leeway to the OP here.
OK. I take your point that in the midst of wider disruption rules are probably relaxed along with the management oversight. It is, of course, great that in this situation the OP seems to have eventually managed to sort the situation without requiring BA's assistance.

However, would you agree that, in general terms, if the OP had found that their positioning flight had been cancelled during a more normal operational period BA would today be much less likely to offer flexibility or the assistance that is outlined in the CoC compared to a few years back? I just want to urge caution if people think they can rely on such terms (despite the fact they should be binding on BA), unless they are willing to take BA to court (which BA knows most people wouldn't bother doing). As you say, we will never know if BA would have helped the OP, but I personally would not rely on BA to help me (even as a Gold for Life customer) in such circumstances (although I would of course ask nicely).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
I'm glad you made it into AMS after all that OP!

I'm doing the same AMS - LHR - BKK on Christmas Eve, better make sure I have my alternative arrangements in place now
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
This is when I feel rather fortunate to live in London: I can generally schedule a B2B for day one, stay at home overnight, and fly the long haul sector the next day.

Glad to hear the OP made it, and nice to see so much willing assistance offered so freely (and nary a snark comment in sight either)
:D!, dougzz and george77300 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Love this thread - great advice and very educational.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:55 am

OK for the single guys though
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Have you not seen Henry's girl?

Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gms
However, would you agree that, in general terms, if the OP had found that their positioning flight had been cancelled during a more normal operational period BA would today be much less likely to offer flexibility or the assistance that is outlined in the CoC compared to a few years back?
I don't really recognise that golden era of flexibility. It's certainly true that many ground agents take a dim view of Hidden City / third country itineraries but that's not particularly new other than that is now quite well known - which wasn't the case a few years back. Equally I remember, soon after T5 had opened, seeing a young lad at the airside customer support desk who had got stuck in security - which was much more flakey an experience than now - had missed his flight (to Glasgow as it happened) and the agent saying to him that he'd have to buy a new ticket. It has always been the case that agents' discretion is subject to scrutiny with perhaps more leeway given to Emeralds as a result. Having said that I would agree that given the KLM dimension then the OP could have had a difficult conversation in LHR, but my bet would have been just paying the 300€ change fee (which deals with any management questions) and being allowed to board ex LHR. And yes, it's best to construct tickets in such a way so as to avoid this sort of thing in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.