Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Leg No-Show: Urgent Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Glad to hear it worked out at the end, Henry - and applause to the good people on FT who always step in to help!

Now fingers crossed for a smooth journey all the way and an enjoyable time in my adopted home country
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Update: I'm now at EDI, checked-in (even upgraded to J) and airside, awaiting boarding. But, just as I typed that in, the flight came up on the screen as DELAYED … from 05:50 to 07:45 (Estimated departure)! (Ooooooh!)

Still, if it stays at that time (2 hours late) then I'll still be able to make to BA AMS-LHR, even if that departs on time. I'm now kind of hoping that the delays at AMS will have sufficient knock-on effects for the BA flight to be delayed (just a bit, so I don't miss the LHR-BKK connexion). Schiphol and Heathrow websites still showing this as on time.

Testing times, indeed - harks back to my last trip to Thailand (as mentioned earlier).

-- Henry

EDIT: FlightStats website shows the previous BA flight (BA429, scheduled dep.10:05 now delayed to 12:47); no info yet for BA431. A 3-hour delay would allow me to still get the BKK flight.

Last edited by Henry III; Mar 10, 2019 at 11:11 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Anyway, whatever happens in the end, I would like to thank you wonderful FT folks for all the suggestions - even those I didn't actually chase up. Couldn't agree more with orbitmic (post #'58).

--Henry
orbitmic, Stez, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:29 pm

Nothing productive to add other than good luck, love this thread! It is always worth watching a full flight at the last minute, it is almost always fluid and you can nab something if you are fast

**edit**
Actually did think of something - the KLM flight to BKK has 1 J seat and BA should be amenable to putting you on it, so that is something worth asking about if your AMS-LHR flight is looking dicey. Also check earlier LHR flights that may be delayed and have open seats for you to switch on to
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by sammyg901
the KLM flight to BKK has 1 J seat and BA should be amenable to putting you on it
I strongly doubt BA would be willing. As far as BA is concerned, it's not their problem since they did not cancel the OP's flight to AMS (KLM did), and neither should it be BA's problem.

The risks we inflict upon ourselves should be ours (or the insurance company's, should we have a policy that covers this kind of situation), and I suspect it's one of those cases.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I strongly doubt BA would be willing. As far as BA is concerned, it's not their problem since they did not cancel the OP's flight to AMS (KLM did), and neither should it be BA's problem.

The risks we inflict upon ourselves should be ours (or the insurance company's, should we have a policy that covers this kind of situation), and I suspect it's one of those cases.
​​​​​​
I think the suggestion is being made in case AMS-LHR ends up being sufficiently delayed as to cause a misconnect on to LHR-BKK.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and watersign like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Nothing productive to add other than good luck, love this thread! It is always worth watching a full flight at the last minute, it is almost always fluid and you can nab something if you are fast

**edit**
Actually did think of something - the KLM flight to BKK has 1 J seat and BA should be amenable to putting you on it, so that is something worth asking about if your AMS-LHR flight is looking dicey. Also check earlier LHR flights that may be delayed and have open seats for you to switch on to
Well, on my last trip, I got to AMS late but the BA AMS-LHR was also delayed and open. In the end, it was hugely delayed and it became clear to me, while in AMS, that I would miss the BKK connexion (actually, that was a LHR-HKG-BKK route). I spoke to the BA gate agent(s) at AMS for a rebooking there but they couldn't help; they suggested I talk to the BA lounge staff, but they just gave me the cold shoulder. Had to wait for the original flight and then get it sorted at LHR (as mentioned earlier).

The only place (I think) that can help at AMS is at BA ticketing (landside). But, getting there and back would probably scupper any chance of getting on either my booked LHR-AMS or (just possibly) get re-booked onto a scheduled earlier flight that is delayed. Currently, BA429 (scheduled 10:05) is showing estimated 12:47. Any tips about BA agents or re-route options airside at Schiphol?

Meanwhile, here in EDI, the KLM pilot was at the gate boarding area talking nicely to concerned pax. He explained that the capacity at Schiphol was reduced by 50% and that priority was being given to long haul flights (as is normal). He'd been given an 8:00 take-off slot (ETA @AMS = 10:40) and said that: (a) it was extremely unlikely that would be further delayed (but just may get earlier); and (b): that my BA flight would almost certainly also be delayed.

So, still hopeful!
-- Henry
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Virazuno
​​​​​​
I think the suggestion is being made in case AMS-LHR ends up being sufficiently delayed as to cause a misconnect on to LHR-BKK.
Ah, I see, that would make more sense. Thanks.

I still somehow doubt it if it it's due to factors outside BA's control that BA would readily rebook on KLM, or that KLM would be prepared to let go of the seat (is there a disruption agreement between BA and KLM?). Saying that, you never know, they might be willing to do so, I guess, so it's still worth asking.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 11, 2019 at 12:37 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Henry III
Well, on my last trip, I got to AMS late but the BA AMS-LHR was also delayed and open. In the end, it was hugely delayed and it became clear to me, while in AMS, that I would miss the BKK connexion (actually, that was a LHR-HKG-BKK route). I spoke to the BA gate agent(s) at AMS for a rebooking there but they couldn't help; they suggested I talk to the BA lounge staff, but they just gave me the cold shoulder. Had to wait for the original flight and then get it sorted at LHR (as mentioned earlier).

The only place (I think) that can help at AMS is at BA ticketing (landside). But, getting there and back would probably scupper any chance of getting on either my booked LHR-AMS or (just possibly) get re-booked onto a scheduled earlier flight that is delayed. Currently, BA429 (scheduled 10:05) is showing estimated 12:47. Any tips about BA agents or re-route options airside at Schiphol?

Meanwhile, here in EDI, the KLM pilot was at the gate boarding area talking nicely to concerned pax. He explained that the capacity at Schiphol was reduced by 50% and that priority was being given to long haul flights (as is normal). He'd been given an 8:00 take-off slot (ETA @AMS = 10:40) and said that: (a) it was extremely unlikely that would be further delayed (but just may get earlier); and (b): that my BA flight would almost certainly also be delayed.

So, still hopeful!
-- Henry
sounds like a great skipper! You’re in good hands. I hope you have a lovely trip.

Regarding rebooking, I agree with staying airside. One possible alternative if you speak other languages is to call BA in said non-English language, I have found they can be more accommodating in trying to solve issues although very anecdotal and YMMV. If you cannot sort it out there then wait until LHR, they have to feed/water/provide hotels for you anyway so it is to their benefit to help you
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by Agneisse; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:09 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Good luck to you! Too much stress for me.
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Good luck!
What's the latest?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Looks like the BA431 has a 2hr4 min delay arriving in LHR around 1h45 min late. The 0815 from LHR to form this departure says leaving on time but arriving late.

Looks like Henry will be able to have lounge time in AMS and still meet his BKK connection or can be reprotected on his through ticket.,

This is what makes Flyertalk such a great place.
wrp96, The_Bouncer, aidy and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:33 am

Looks like the OP is in air for the 550am EDI-LHR; currently scheduled into AMS at 906am. The BA AMS-LHR (BA 429) segment still shows on time with a 1005 departure, giving OP just under an hour to make the connection The first morning BA AMS-LHR flight was delayed by 40 minutes. Also the inbound LHR-AMS (BA 428) bring the plane OP will be on, it currently 40 minutes delayed, set to arrive at 0919.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
All looking very good.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Looks like the OP is in air for the 550am EDI-LHR; currently scheduled into AMS at 906am. The BA AMS-LHR (BA 429) segment still shows on time with a 1005 departure, giving OP just under an hour to make the connection The first morning BA AMS-LHR flight was delayed by 40 minutes. Also the inbound LHR-AMS (BA 428) bring the plane OP will be on, it currently 40 minutes delayed, set to arrive at 0919.
OP has said he’s on the 1140 flight from AMS which is the BA431 with a 2hr plus delay so he should comfortably make that and his BKK flight but either way he is protected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.