Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Leg No-Show: Urgent Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
my bet would have been just paying the 300€ change fee (which deals with any management questions) and being allowed to board ex LHR. And yes, it's best to construct tickets in such a way so as to avoid this sort of thing in the first place.
Not sure I follow: What’s the disruption situation that would have made BA more lenient towards the OP today versus last week or tomorrow ?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Not sure I follow: What’s the disruption situation that would have made BA more lenient towards the OP today versus last week or tomorrow ?
Due to the wind, which is presumably what led to the GLA-AMS cancellation, I think only about 25% of BA's services ran on time yesterday which is about as low as it gets. LHR suspended flights for a brief period. There must have been tens of thousands of misconnects. In other threads there were stories of people spending an hour in Flight Connection queues, and the wait time for the Gold line was way over what normally happens. I think there were only about a dozen cancellations, and a few services diverted to STN. So I'm guessing BA will still be moving misconnects today. I think if this had been midweek BA would have had a more intense set of pro-active cancellations to reduce pressure on the the airport, and AMS would have been in the frame for that.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

If, for example it was a BA flight cancelled preventing the traveller from joining the second booking, BA would almost certainly offer some help in this kind of situation. Of course, strictly speaking they do not need to, but most agents would feel morally obliged to help a passenger affected by their own IRROPs.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
So, here I am in the LHR Galleries First Lounge (first time, as it happens) drinking Pink Champagne! AMS-LHR delay was eventually 40 minutes (dep. and arr.). Even despite parking at a bus stand (and having to wait 10 minutes after the doors opened for the bus to arrive), the transit was entirely stress-free.

This has been a big learning experience, as many (more experienced) posters have said. It really is amazing how a stranger's distress can bring out the best in people, and a huge KHURP KHUN KHRAP (or KHURP CHAI DER, if you prefer Lao) to all those Flyer-Talkers who have really helped me out here.

Yeah, it's great I didn't have to put the, "Please let me board after the no-show," charm-offensive to the test. But even if I had to (and it worked), the extra £500 for the o/w GLA-LHR flight would still have kept the overall GLA/AMS + AMS/LHR/BKK price significantly cheaper than buying a straight GLA/LHR/BKK ticket. When the former sells for around £1,250 and latter is close to £2,200, it's small wonder so many folks risk these ex-EU tickets.

The last 18 hours or so have been an immense emotional roller-coaster. I was just about to hit the sack (for 4:30 am taxi to GLA) when I received the first text from KLM that my flight was cancelled. A dark mist of despair quickly descended. I was on the phone to the BA helpline immediately (but to no avail); I checked for availability on KLM from EDI, but there was none (a cancellation later was well-spotted herein). So I bought the earliest ticket I could to get to LHR (it was available on Expedia but not on BA.com). I just thought I'd keep as many options open as possible. Then I went down the local pub, had a few beers and thought, "Oh well: Que Sera, Sera!" and listened to some Bob Marley (Three Little Birds, appropriately enough).

Only when I got back home did I open up this thread (beer-based inspiration). And, how so glad I am that I did! MEE KWAN CHOK, all you good folks, even those whose suggestions I (maybe tersely) dismissed.

-- Henry-with-Hiccoughs
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:05 am

As an aside it is great to see FT members knowledge and experience come together to help those requiring it..a BZ to all those helping the OP, one of the main reasons I joined FT and peruse the forums (especially the BA one) ^
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
What a great thread. So many helpful suggestions, and advice.
Glad all worked out for the OP!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by sds1493
Wouldn't such an event be covered by the CoC:
A delayed KL flight due to weather is arguably no different to a broken down HEX or an accident on the M4.
No, the general test that BA apply as to whether an event is beyond control, is whether the event was unusual and unforseeable; a broken down train, a car accident, a delayed flight, etc., are everyday events, and are not unusual. It would take something more significant for BA to allow force majeure.

Originally Posted by gms
However, would you agree that, in general terms, if the OP had found that their positioning flight had been cancelled during a more normal operational period BA would today be much less likely to offer flexibility or the assistance that is outlined in the CoC compared to a few years back?
I don't think so. It's been 5 and a bit years since I worked for BA myself, and the CoC were very similar, if not the same then. In the 9 years I did work for them, we didn't have the flexibility you're suggesting. I wouldn't say much has changed in the application of policy at all.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Henry III
And see here (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/court-rules-airlines-must-refund-return-miss-flight-cancelled/) about the legality of the fare rules.

-- H
But as stated in the article this was a non binding ruling so no precedent was set.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Love a happy ending 🥳 well done everyone who contributed in solving this nightmare.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I love threads like this. Brilliant advice from all as usual in these situations.

I’d just add that I’ve had issues with misconnects at BKK before now involving TG. Generally they are extremely accommodating in terms of rebooking onto later flights if there is room.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:59 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Having suffered some not quite so successful rerouting attempts, I am always reminded of this clip from The Simpsons'
"It's still good"

Well done to the OP for saving his bacon from the fire on this occasion.
MSPeconomist and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Having suffered some not quite so successful rerouting attempts, I am always reminded of this clip from The Simpsons'
"It's still good"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LTgNVwfMAE

Well done to the OP for saving his bacon from the fire on this occasion.
Eeeeeeexcellent!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by stevie
And the lesson is - stay in AMS the night before enjoying a stress free sleep.
I a doing JFK ex DUB in a few weeks and opted to stay the night before in DUB... I am too risk averse.

A couple of people said "but what if the night stopping aircraft does not come out?" but, what if the aircraft on the turnaround goes tech... Endless possibilities which could throw a spanner in the works.

Anyways... Glad the OP is on the way.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I a doing JFK ex DUB in a few weeks and opted to stay the night before in DUB... I am too risk averse.

A couple of people said "but what if the night stopping aircraft does not come out?" but, what if the aircraft on the turnaround goes tech... Endless possibilities which could throw a spanner in the works.

Anyways... Glad the OP is on the way.
Do you have to take the last flight to DUB of the evening?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you have to take the last flight to DUB of the evening?

I am not taking the last flight... I am going out at lunch time to enjoy an afternoon in Dublin before the next days flights...

Sorry, I did not say it properly... If I did an immediate turn in DUB, that aircraft could go tech, or there could be a WX cancelation or any other sort of problem... So, by choosing to night stop instead, makes it six and two threes, just minus the rushing for the immediate turn in the airport and an extra Marriott night...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.