Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DX Passport Delivery Issues - Flights approaching advice?

Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar

Hi guys,

DX has "attempted" delivery 3 times now and I still want to allow enough time to get a new ESTA.
Flights are on thursday to the US - non refundable J UaA to F. Would BA show leniency if I couldn't get passport or ESTA in time?
I have my old passport with the corners cut (water damange). ESTA is on that passport - I'm assuming this wouldn't be accepted in the US?

Seems like even if I go down the emergency passport route - I would then need a full tourist VISA which can take 3-5- days - So that won't work
I'm planning to go to DX depot tomorrow to pick up my passport - I'm hoping the story ends here.

Seems like there are just a cornocopia of complaints for this delivery service.

Cheers
Any advise would be great.
mike&co likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
BA won't show any mercy because if you are rejected by immigration then they have to foot the bill to bring you back.

It's too late for this trip - but getting a second UK passport is highly recommended to avoid these kind of issues. You just need a good reason (e.g. getting a Saudi, Cuban, Israli or Iranian visa) and a letter from your employer.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC
I too have had a pretty poor experience with DX and their "attempts"...

In my experience - if you're asking BA to change the flight gratis as you don't have the right documentation, forget it. They may do a change for a "modest" (ahem) fee but as gold it won't be as bad as otherwise would be.

You won't be able to travel on your old passport and I wouldn't try - it'll have been cancelled already. They won't let you fly without a valid passport and ESTA/Visa - don't expect any leniency!

I've noticed ESTA applications don't often pass immediately these days but normally do so the following day.

Hope it all works out!
Newbtravelle likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
leniency? no as having proper documentation is down to you

Try your insurance company but I would expect them to push back on a claim.

And no a 'cut' passport is an expired passport. And the esta dies with it as well. BA wouldn't let you on the flight .
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
ok thanks guys, I'm gonna go to the depot myself and hopefully sort this.
If I can't make the flight out, do you think BA would at least let me still fly the return leg?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
If I can't make the flight out, do you think BA would at least let me still fly the return leg?
Nope - They'll cancel the whole ticket if you don't do the outbound. Best try to get the outbound moved to a later day if you don't get your documentation on time...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BA
I know it sounds like it's really close but you actually have quite a lot of time here.

If you get the passport tomorrow morning (say 9am UK time), you can easily have the ESTA in before any sort of processing opens in the states - that gives you a clear 3 days. Yes, generally you're supposed to do it a few weeks before but (and I'm assuming here) if you aren't "interesting" in any meaningful way, I'd be surprised if it doesn't clear same day.

I wouldn't pull the trigger on getting the flights changed until Wednesday to be honest. There's still a lot of opportunity for this to work out just fine.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
I picked up my last renewal from the depot. It was a bit of a faff but was by far and away the quickest way of getting it securely in my hands. Last ESTA took 20 minutes, but I do have GE so that might speed things up.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHons diamond
I think Seattle_sophie is giving you a good steer. I had to get 4 ESTAs three weeks ago for me and family members. A combination of new passports and one who had never had an ESTA before. I did them all one evening. None cleared immediately, two within two hours and the others had been approved when I logged on next morning. So whilst of no consolation when you wake up worrying in the early hours tonight, I expect you will have put it behind you by Tuesday morning. Good luck!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I had a similar experience of applying for an ESTA with a new passport earlier this year. Approval took a few hours so it certainly seems to be relatively quick atm.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:30 pm

Very glad I decided to collect my new passport from the office directly week after next. My partner just got his visa renewal and it was delivered by DX. They were supposed to require all sorts of identity cheques and signature, but just left it with his reception lol
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
DX are a disaster.

Worth noting that MPs have a line to call at the Home Office to try and resolve issues for constituents quickly but this can still take a few days. Suggest you try and collect from DX tomorrow to give you maximum time to resolve through another route.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I wonder what determines DX simply deliver and when they need a signature.

I did the one one week service for passport renewal last week at 142 as I’d misplaced mine. I asked if I could collect it once issued and was told they aren’t produced in the same office [London) My appointment was on Wednesday, on Saturday morning I got a text to say they would attempt to deliver passport and by 1pm it had dropped on the doormat.

Whilst not exactly gangland I do live in a fairly high crime area in East London so would have thought if anything it would be signed for as opposed to just drop off.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
From previous experience if it is a single address building then they are generally happy to put through the letter box but not blocks of flats etc unless there is an individual letterbox for every dwelling.

my last passport I had delivered to my work after one of those convoluted calls where they asked for details from me - address etc - but wouldn’t tell me who they were for ‘data Protction’ so after I twigged what it was I rearranged it online for delivery at work with the receptionist.

Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Im led to believe certain post codes are are considered to be higher risk for fraud and need to be given to someone rather than put through the door.

But Im sure there will be lots of variation to the official policy, given how poor the service is and that it is reliant on casual deliverers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.