Wiki Posts
Search

OpUp CW->F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
OpUp CW->F

How often does an OpUp CW>F happen? I've never had one despite flying quite a lot (mainly LHR->JFK). Specifically is it more or less likely than an upgrade WTP->CW (which has happened a couple of times over the same period?

Last edited by abligh; Mar 10, 2019 at 6:07 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Less likely than WTP-CW because WTP is such a small cabin on most planes. Also if WT is overbooked, pax can be rolled forward WT-WTP and WTP-CW, but CW-F would be the last stage and only be as a last resort.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Lhr-jfk also often has full cabins in f. I have never had a cw-f upgrade either despite quite a few overbooked flights and I suspect it’s partly because I also mostly fly routes with healthy f loads.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by abligh
How often does an OpUp CW>F happen? I've never had one despite flying quite a lot (mainly LHR->JFK). Specifically is it more or less likely than an upgrade WTP->CW (which has happened a couple of times over the same period?
Extremely route and airframe dependent I would imagine. I would fly out of AUH on a monthly basis and would get 1 or 2 on the outbound. I've had a solitary 1 on the inbound over the last 5 or 6 years.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Dubh
Extremely route and airframe dependent I would imagine. I would fly out of AUH on a monthly basis and would get 1 or 2 on the outbound. I've had a solitary 1 on the inbound over the last 5 or 6 years.
My most common route is leaving LHR lunchtime-ish on a 747-400 to JFK on a Monday, and returning on the Friday evening on a 747-400. Excess nerdery often shows there is F availability (and I've often bought AUPs) so I doubt it's full F. It may be simply that WTP is more often oversold than J, or that WT is more often oversold than J (resulting in WT->WTP upgrades and thus knock on WTP->J upgrades).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Happened once a few years ago DFW to LHR but was from WTP to F. Was a period when I'd fly in economy the day before with daughter and return on my own the next in WTP (though their gambit worked as started doing WTP + avios to get into CW after that)

Flying solo certainly helps it seems
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Only once in circa 15 years over probably 15-20 sectors each year on average. Not that I’m that fussed for a j->f in all honesty. I’m probably running at 30% ish on wtp->cw though - which is a real bonus “jump” when it happens! I’d agree it’s probably very route specific and I can’t remember any bump being when travelling anything other than solo
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Emirates, SAA, Kenya Airways, Hilton, Radisson, IHG group
It must be route dependent as I have never been upgraded from WTP to CW but have been upgraded from CW to F countless times. Almost always on NBO to LHR or JNB to LHR (also aircraft dependent). Have never had a CW to F upgrade on any American or Asian route.

It actually got to a point where I was disappointed if I got to NBO flying CW and wasn’t upgraded!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by abligh
My most common route is leaving LHR lunchtime-ish on a 747-400 to JFK on a Monday, and returning on the Friday evening on a 747-400. Excess nerdery often shows there is F availability (and I've often bought AUPs) so I doubt it's full F. It may be simply that WTP is more often oversold than J, or that WT is more often oversold than J (resulting in WT->WTP upgrades and thus knock on WTP->J upgrades).
WTP is going to be oversold on that route, yes, particularly on the Super J aircraft, where WTP is only 30 seats, but because CW is so big on SuperJ there shouldn't be much need to push people into First. I do get upgrades into First on that route, but essentially the aircraft has to be chockerblock for it to happen. The Monday service probably isn't going to fall into that category, depending on the Friday one you should have at least some chance there I would have thought, but it's not so much about whether First is available, what is much more important is the total number of passengers flying. So you need to think aircraft wide. BA love selling WTP, it's their big cash cow, so don't look at the W bucket at all, nor E, maybe T. They sell WTP on the basis that some / many passengers will have to go forward.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is route & frequency dependent. After all, it only occurs when either there is an overbooking resulting in a real risk of oversale in a cabin or an oversale created by a defective seat or the like. That is close to impossible to predict. Then factor into the equation where you stand in the pecking order should a decision be taken to upgrade someone. BA's preference is, of course, to accommodate passengers in their ticketed cabin and to send the F (CW & WTP as well) seats out empty if not purchased.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by Often1
It is route & frequency dependent. After all, it only occurs when either there is an overbooking resulting in a real risk of oversale in a cabin or an oversale created by a defective seat or the like. That is close to impossible to predict. Then factor into the equation where you stand in the pecking order should a decision be taken to upgrade someone. BA's preference is, of course, to accommodate passengers in their ticketed cabin and to send the F (CW & WTP as well) seats out empty if not purchased.
Agree on all points above - Opp ups can happen following weather and technical issues that may have resulted in cancellation or delays to other flights. I’ve been upgraded from J-F many times when a snow storm on the East coast has come through! Flights which were empty can suddenly become full over night.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
out of 2 paid CW segments i've had one op-up to F and in about 50 paid WT+ segments about 10 op-up's to CW. But the op ups from WT+ are now far less common than 5 years ago.
I think they track what upgrades they have given you in the past and give them out to people they think might change their travel habits and buy tickets in the higher cabin. if the op-ups don't change your behaviour then you are moved lower down the op-up queue.
This is true on AY since I was chatting to a flight attendant and she explained that AY have exactly this concept for op-up's now and based on my treatment from BA I think they have a similar algorithm now.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I know it’s not BA, but I got upgraded J to F on QR from MEL to DOH in May last year. Only ever had one other OpUp and it was WT to J from SEA the previous year (BA) and I’ve done circa 150 segments in the last two years, 95% with BA.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:24 am
HRE

Programs: BA
I was travelling with a colleague in CW and she was upgraded to F, this was on a BA238, a 777-200 BOS-LHR flight. CW was full but I thought I saw a couple of empty seats so not sure why the upgrade! Certainly not many in F though, maybe 4 seats taken?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
We have had this happen on two occasions as a couple, ie a double op-up from CW to F, in both cases Heathrow to Dubai, once on the way out and once on the way back.

The first time we had wtp tickets upgraded to CW using Avios. Both upgrades were in the lounge/at the gate.

Also twice we have had a double upgrade to FLUB which is slightly different as it's CW service with an F seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.