Wiki Posts
Search

Destination Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by GCab
With respect, the original post was someone wanting to use his (BA-only) 2-for-1 voucher for a First for two people, which (as I understood it) would otherwise be unachievable with the Avios available. Advising him to fly with someone else would (at least) double the Avios needed and probably put the whole thing out of reach, which is why I thought "lots of other airlines are better than BA F" didn't really help him in this context.
Perhaps, but I'll stand by my statement that more information rarely hurts the decision making process.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Perhaps, but I'll stand by my statement that more information rarely hurts the decision making process.
Well, I won't disagree with that.

Last edited by GCab; Mar 10, 2019 at 9:52 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Doesn't too much information cause analysis paralysis in many people ?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For short haul I can recommend the areas of Galicia/Asturias/Santander in Spain. Unspoilt, great food at decent cost.
No idea if BA flies there though.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Guys! An update... I just booked tickets to Chicago! First class on 2nd July and returning CW on the 9th. The A380 both ways and flying out of Inverness for Ł1050.

i could have returned first class but would have meant staying 11 days and thought that was maybe too much.

i would really appreciate your views... it was all rather impulsive!!!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by shnprst
Guys! An update... I just booked tickets to Chicago! First class on 2nd July and returning CW on the 9th. The A380 both ways and flying out of Inverness for Ł1050.

i could have returned first class but would have meant staying 11 days and thought that was maybe too much.

Congratulations. Chicago is a great city and (proud of being) more relaxed than NYC. Lots of really good museums, restaurants and a good place to just wander.

The thing everyone recommends (I didn't have time) is the canal/river architecture cruise but make sure you take the official CAF one

Also my first ever CW was Chicago-LHR (an unsolicited free upgrade from WT+ back in 2002) and I couldn't believe my luck ("THREE windows!!!), so this raises happy memories. You'll enjoy it every which way.
shnprst likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! I fly to London on the 1st and fly out at 4pm on the 2nd so get plenty of time to check out the CCR! I’ve heard first class is best on the A380. I’m so lucky. I think Chicago will appeal to me more than Boston.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton

Great! Congratulations! I assume the Ł1050 refers to the applicable taxes/fuel-charges on an Avios redemption. If it is a cash fare, I'll have my Amex card out in a heartbeat! Watch out, friends in Wisconsin - with ORD fares like that, you're going to be seeing a whole lot more of me!

IMHO you have done the right thing booking F for outbound and J Return. In my admittedly limited experience, F is best enjoyed during the daytime, rather than unconscious on a red-eye after a session in the lounge - J suffices nicely for that - in fact, depending on your level of consumption, Y is easily handled with sufficient levels of memory erasure!

Enjoy your flight in F and exploit it to the max! Depending on the time of your departure from LHR, hit the espresso martinis in the Concorde Room - the perfect mid-afternoon pick-me-up to revive you from the morning's "preparations" and set you up for the upcoming excesses!
shnprst likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Great! Congratulations! I assume the Ł1050 refers to the applicable taxes/fuel-charges on an Avios redemption. If it is a cash fare, I'll have my Amex card out in a heartbeat! Watch out, friends in Wisconsin - with ORD fares like that, you're going to be seeing a whole lot more of me!

IMHO you have done the right thing booking F for outbound and J Return. In my admittedly limited experience, F is best enjoyed during the daytime, rather than unconscious on a red-eye after a session in the lounge - J suffices nicely for that - in fact, depending on your level of consumption, Y is easily handled with sufficient levels of memory erasure!

Enjoy your flight in F and exploit it to the max! Depending on the time of your departure from LHR, hit the espresso martinis in the Concorde Room - the perfect mid-afternoon pick-me-up to revive you from the morning's "preparations" and set you up for the upcoming excesses!
Hey! Yeah that’s the price for the Avios redemption. Thank you for the advice!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:30 pm
Suspended

The A380 is great, Chicago is a great city, July is a great month to visit, I think you’ll have a great time.
shnprst likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richardwft
The A380 is great, Chicago is a great city, July is a great month to visit, I think you’ll have a great time.
Do you think there is enough to do to spend 7 days there?

Accomodation is very cheap... excellent hotels around Ł1000 for the week. Boston was double that. Hopefully not a bad sign 🤣
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Do you think there is enough to do to spend 7 days there?....
Yes, there’s no rush to force yourself to get over the jet lag quickly, take your time.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Mar 11, 2019 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
+1 for the out F back CW combo. CCR + day flight = max enjoyment of F. On return, I don't think I enjoy the waiting room lounge experience much at all so any lounge with ok food, a degree of quiet and a light drink is good enough,

Enjoy every minute and don't over-think the whole thing.
shnprst likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP

Fourth of July is a long weekend for US. Make sure your hotel is booked. Do not miss watching the Fireworks ver the lake. There are some small crafts that take you to watch the fireworks while floating. Tons of people.

Look up museums if that is your thing.....what are your other interests ? Will you be renting a car ? Beware parking charges can be very high in the city.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HMPS
Fourth of July is a long weekend for US. Make sure your hotel is booked. Do not miss watching the Fireworks ver the lake. There are some small crafts that take you to watch the fireworks while floating. Tons of people.

Look up museums if that is your thing.....what are your other interests ? Will you be renting a car ? Beware parking charges can be very high in the city.
Thabks for the information. I don’t intend to drive. Will everything be shut with the holiday? Will this affect things too much?

i booked the Thomson Chicago and got a really good price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.