Destination Help

Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by shnprst

Thabks for the information. I dont intend to drive. Will everything be shut with the holiday? Will this affect things too much?

i booked the Thomson Chicago and got a really good price.
Almost all retail stores are open with some fantastic buys. Have heard good things about the Thompson. Downtown is very walkable. Expect crowds, so explore via the net to decide what you would like to see, eat, shows etc.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Op congrats on your achievements and a good choice of destination. As others have said with 4th July check you have your hotel booked.

Dont forget to check out the ‘Maximising time in First’ threads and book spa treatments for T5 a month out.

You might want to try for a cabana but I’m sure you will enjoy the CCR experience.

Not sure how many Avios you have left but remember ORD is a hub for American and you can get Avios rewards to places such as Buffalo, Boston, New York , Washington for 30 000 Avios and around 15-20 total in taxes, you could break the trip up in the middle remembering the risk of ‘onward’ flights on the same day if you choose to have it at the end. For some of these destinations it’s showing availability via somewhere CLT for example which doubles the Avios as it’s 7500 per person per sector but you should be able,to mix/match with Southwest of JetBlue.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by shnprst

Do you think there is enough to do to spend 7 days there?
Absolutely! There are museums, theaters, historical tours (Chicago has quite the seedy and risque background), sports events, boat rides on the river, tons of outdoor activities. Plus, you'll get all the street festivals and fairs as well as evening fireworks for the 4th of July holiday.

Also, dont pass up the deep dish pizza. I'm partial to Giordano's, but others may have different suggestions. I know you have committed to a healthy eating routine, but this one indulgence is so worth it. Go for an extra long walk or run later to work it off, if you must, but do try the pizza.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Op congrats on your achievements and a good choice of destination. As others have said with 4th July check you have your hotel booked.

Dont forget to check out the Maximising time in First threads and book spa treatments for T5 a month out.

You might want to try for a cabana but Im sure you will enjoy the CCR experience.

Not sure how many Avios you have left but remember ORD is a hub for American and you can get Avios rewards to places such as Buffalo, Boston, New York , Washington for 30 000 Avios and around 15-20 total in taxes, you could break the trip up in the middle remembering the risk of onward flights on the same day if you choose to have it at the end. For some of these destinations its showing availability via somewhere CLT for example which doubles the Avios as its 7500 per person per sector but you should be able,to mix/match with Southwest of JetBlue.
Originally Posted by LWkitty
Absolutely! There are museums, theaters, historical tours (Chicago has quite the seedy and risque background), sports events, boat rides on the river, tons of outdoor activities. Plus, you'll get all the street festivals and fairs as well as evening fireworks for the 4th of July holiday.

Also, dont pass up the deep dish pizza. I'm partial to Giordano's, but others may have different suggestions. I know you have committed to a healthy eating routine, but this one indulgence is so worth it. Go for an extra long walk or run later to work it off, if you must, but do try the pizza.
Both above has merits, but boils down to your liking.

Travel out if you can see if you can use avios for a trip to Toronto or Buffalo for Niagra Falls, Toronto. Or go to Montreal for a feel of bicultural environment.
Look up other pizza like Lou Malnattis, Uno ( very different style Pequod's (my fav)etc if you want to "sin". Ethnic foods including good Indian lunch buffets.....
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys - I just wanted to update you all as you are all really helpful with your advice earlier this year.

I stay in Scotland so got the train to INV then flew to LHR to save on APD. I then collected my luggage and got the free bus to the Premier Inn at T4. Stayed overnight then got up in the morning and got the free bus back to T5. Checked in at the First Wing, went through security (it was a breeze). Didn't stay longer than five/ten minutes in the Galleries First lounge (it was around 0950), before heading over to the CCR.

Went to the dining area and had breakfast, then my partner and I had ELEMIS spa treatments. We had some afternoon tea brought to us with some champagne. We then went for a late bite to eat, again in the dining area (just a starter and a dessert!).

Our flight to ORD was scheduled at 1605 so we left the CCR at around 1445, I believe. The time went by so quickly, but I loved it! Boarding the plane was a nightmare - my partner selected for SSSS so I followed advice and took his phone and bag. We were separated for over an hour and they weren't pleased that has passport was taken from him (and taken to another room out of sight). The SSSS checks seemed to cause the issue - the flight left two hours late.

Upon boarding the plane, I was personally introduced by the CSM. Pajamas, headphones and blanket were sitting out. We were asked if we wanted an amenity kit (uhh… YES!). I got more champagne and warm nuts. We dined together around 90 minutes into the flight. I was cheeky and had dessert and cheese board (asking them to remove the blue). My partner had a dessert and the chocolates. They were happy to accommodate.

Unfortunately, half way through the flight, there were some bad turbulences that lasted some time. I normally fly fine, however I do get motion sickness (I get a ferry to work every morning and have been sick a few times when it's choppy). This didn't go well having just eaten a big meal. Unfortunately, when the thing causing the motion sickness stops (choppy water / turbulence) I don't feel better straight away. After 45 minutes, it stopped and a few hours later I felt better to have afternoon tea prior to landing. I don't know how - but the afternoon tea on the plane was even better than that in the CCR! Unfortunately, I soon regretted this as the plane came in to land the turbulences / landing wasn't smooth at all. You could feel the engine power up and down, the plane going up and down. I was almost sick, but wasn't. However, when the plane finally landed, I felt absolutely ill and just wanted off the plane, unfortunately. The captain commented that due to the size of the A380 was a reason for the turbulences being so bad. He also appologised as we would have to wait some time for the jet bridges as it was 'chaos' at ORD airport. He said we were nearly diverted to Minnespolis airport but I am not sure if this was due to the airport itself, the weather or whatever. He said we were lucky we made it through. After around 30 minutes the jet bridges came. I was standing at the front of the plane, with the air steward that served me during the flight. After a few seconds it became obvious to the first passengers that we would need to go through the cabin to the other door and we all sort of rushed, and I regret not thanking the air steward during the flight as I just wanted off the plane due to not feeling well. He was great and the service my partner and I got was more or less really good. It waned a bit during the second half of the flight - I pressed the call button twice and waited 10 minutes each time but no one came. Eventually went to the galley myself to ask for a glass of water.

Anyway, Chicago was absolutely amazing. After a bit of a rude introduction by US immigration (felt like I was being interrogated - 'how much money do you have? 'where are you staying?' 'who are you meeting up with?', 'where are you from?'), we headed to our hotel (Thompson Chicago). Suffice to say, I had an amazing time. Chicago made me go 'wow' with all the tall buildings. We did the Architecture Tour, the Architecture Centre, The Shedd Aquarium, The Adler Planetarium, Chicago 360 (John Hancock Building), The Sky Deck (Willis Tower), The Zoo, Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Grant Park, the Field Museum, the Art Institute of Chicago and China Town. I would recommend it to anyone. The people were lovely too!

Coming back, we were economy (no more group 1 ). We had dinner in the lounge beforehand as this flight departed at 9pm. The flight was good - through advice here I ended up with seats (59J and K). No noise from Premium Economy - hurray! However, noticed that because planes are not perfectly flat, sleeping in 59J made me feel like my feet were higher than my head. I switched with my partner to 59K. Unfortunately, in the row further up, was an incredibly - and I mean incredibly loud snorer. I had amazing ear plugs in and could still hear him. I thought someone would say something but no one did. Neither did I. I eventually got to sleep for a few hours. I found CW narrow to sleep in. The mattress thing don't really do much and could also have more padding? I had breakfast before landing. It was nice. Due to this being a nighttime flight, I didn't really feel there was anything special about it. Other than having the bed. Upon return to LHR, we stopped at the Galleries South lounge. I wasn't impressed as it was the end of breakfast. Plates and glasses everywhere. The lounge was busy. Not really much in the way of hot breakfast options - just bread, pastries. Don't know if it was because there were changing for lunch.

Overall I had an excellent time, but weirdly my most enjoyable bit of the whole first class experience - was the lounge! The flight lived up to expectations save the turbulence which did mar it, but that isn't BA's fault. The flight was BA297 on 02/07 if anyone would be able to tell me the exact reason for taking off late and the issues at ORD! Coming back on the 9th was BA296 and all timings perfect.

I don't know if the A380 is more susceptible to turbulence. If it is, maybe I should avoid it and try for the 787 or A350 in the future.

I had a tremendous trip guys and just want to thank you all again. I have 150,000 Avios and need to spend 6000 to get another 2-4-1 voucher. It will take me a while, but hopefully I will get to go away somewhere next year using the points. I had a great time - I just wish the turbulence didn't happen and the snorer wasn't there!

OH - forgot to say. Flying from INV, I was able to book 1A and 1C for me and my partner. Coming back to GLA we got 1D and 1F. Great considering I am just blue!
corporate-wage-slave and Mirp like this.

Last edited by shnprst; Jul 21, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.