Destination Help

Old Mar 13, 19, 8:16 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by shnprst View Post

Thabks for the information. I donít intend to drive. Will everything be shut with the holiday? Will this affect things too much?

i booked the Thomson Chicago and got a really good price.
Almost all retail stores are open with some fantastic buys. Have heard good things about the Thompson. Downtown is very walkable. Expect crowds, so explore via the net to decide what you would like to see, eat, shows etc.
Old Mar 13, 19, 9:31 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Op congrats on your achievements and a good choice of destination. As others have said with 4th July check you have your hotel booked.

Dont forget to check out the ‘Maximising time in First’ threads and book spa treatments for T5 a month out.

You might want to try for a cabana but I’m sure you will enjoy the CCR experience.

Not sure how many Avios you have left but remember ORD is a hub for American and you can get Avios rewards to places such as Buffalo, Boston, New York , Washington for 30 000 Avios and around £15-20 total in taxes, you could break the trip up in the middle remembering the risk of ‘onward’ flights on the same day if you choose to have it at the end. For some of these destinations it’s showing availability via somewhere CLT for example which doubles the Avios as it’s 7500 per person per sector but you should be able,to mix/match with Southwest of JetBlue.
Old Mar 13, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by shnprst View Post

Do you think there is enough to do to spend 7 days there?
Absolutely! There are museums, theaters, historical tours (Chicago has quite the seedy and risque background), sports events, boat rides on the river, tons of outdoor activities. Plus, you'll get all the street festivals and fairs as well as evening fireworks for the 4th of July holiday.

Also, dont pass up the deep dish pizza. I'm partial to Giordano's, but others may have different suggestions. I know you have committed to a healthy eating routine, but this one indulgence is so worth it. Go for an extra long walk or run later to work it off, if you must, but do try the pizza.
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:07 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
Op congrats on your achievements and a good choice of destination. As others have said with 4th July check you have your hotel booked.

Dont forget to check out the ĎMaximising time in Firstí threads and book spa treatments for T5 a month out.

You might want to try for a cabana but Iím sure you will enjoy the CCR experience.

Not sure how many Avios you have left but remember ORD is a hub for American and you can get Avios rewards to places such as Buffalo, Boston, New York , Washington for 30 000 Avios and around £15-20 total in taxes, you could break the trip up in the middle remembering the risk of Ďonwardí flights on the same day if you choose to have it at the end. For some of these destinations itís showing availability via somewhere CLT for example which doubles the Avios as itís 7500 per person per sector but you should be able,to mix/match with Southwest of JetBlue.
Originally Posted by LWkitty View Post
Absolutely! There are museums, theaters, historical tours (Chicago has quite the seedy and risque background), sports events, boat rides on the river, tons of outdoor activities. Plus, you'll get all the street festivals and fairs as well as evening fireworks for the 4th of July holiday.

Also, dont pass up the deep dish pizza. I'm partial to Giordano's, but others may have different suggestions. I know you have committed to a healthy eating routine, but this one indulgence is so worth it. Go for an extra long walk or run later to work it off, if you must, but do try the pizza.
Both above has merits, but boils down to your liking.

Travel out if you can see if you can use avios for a trip to Toronto or Buffalo for Niagra Falls, Toronto. Or go to Montreal for a feel of bicultural environment.
Look up other pizza like Lou Malnattis, Uno ( very different style Pequod's (my fav)etc if you want to "sin". Ethnic foods including good Indian lunch buffets.....