Wiki Posts
Search

More expensive to UUA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:01 am
Original Poster

More expensive to UUA?

Hi all,

Am I being thick? I am trying to price up a rtn LON - NYC. Out in Premium on 14/09/19 back in Club 17/09/19. When I price up straight cash tickets BA.com (BA115 / BA172) it quotes me £2,278.44. However when I try to UUA on the rtn leg, same flights it quotes me 48000Avios + £ 3,076.44.

Why the £798 to upgrade using my Avois? The taxes should be the same so is it that it will only upgrade a full price W ticket to J rather than the I class when paying with cash?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
I think the general consensus is that something odd happens on the BA end with regard to inventory buckets when trying to make this booking in one go. Make the cash booking in one transaction and then call up to UUA straight afterwards.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Sharratt4
Hi all,

Am I being thick? I am trying to price up a rtn LON - NYC. Out in Premium on 14/09/19 back in Club 17/09/19. When I price up straight cash tickets BA.com (BA115 / BA172) it quotes me £2,278.44. However when I try to UUA on the rtn leg, same flights it quotes me 48000Avios + £ 3,076.44.

Why the £798 to upgrade using my Avois? The taxes should be the same so is it that it will only upgrade a full price W ticket to J rather than the I class when paying with cash?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
At a guess, it may be a Dual Inventory Fare (DIF) in WTP, which when you try to UUA BA.com just gets it horribly wrong. It's a known problem - the solution is book the WTP fare then phone up and apply the UuA. You can always cancel in the first 24 hours at no cost so there should be no risk in doing this.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:17 am

PS - there will be additional fees (BA will no doubt call them "taxes") when applying a UuA from WTP to CW. My last one on that route was around £75 per person, per sector.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
PS - there will be additional fees (BA will no doubt call them "taxes") when applying a UuA from WTP to CW. My last one on that route was around £75 per person, per sector.
Is that not APD, which is a legit tax?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Is that not APD, which is a legit tax?
I'm happy to be corrected, but I thought there was only an APD uplift between WT and WTP? I thought going WTP to CW the additional was just BA fees?

Perhaps one of the experts could chime in, although whatever it is, the OP will need to pay it!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:31 am

No, for BA flights there are just two rates of APD:

Reduced rate for the lowest class cabin in the aircraft (also has to have seat pitch of less than 40 inches, so Baby Bus doesn't get into this category!), and
Standard rate for all other seats.

There is a higher third rate of APD, but this only affects aircraft of more than 20 tonnes with fewer than 19 seats: i.e. corporate jets.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-an...uty#rate-bands
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I'm happy to be corrected, but I thought there was only an APD uplift between WT and WTP? I thought going WTP to CW the additional was just BA fees?

Perhaps one of the experts could chime in, although whatever it is, the OP will need to pay it!
Indeed, checking on ITA Matrix a return fare in WPT vs CW both have the same APD of GBP172
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

you're entirely correct. The difference is mostly the higher yq for business. That’s entirely a ba choice and income.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Seems like I might not have been as thick as usual! Will take your advice and book then call to upgrade. Thanks again!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sharratt4
Will take your advice and book then call to upgrade.
You have to make a call anyway, so an alternative is to simply call to book and upgrade in one transaction. You should not have to pay the offline fee, as the website was quoting you an incorrect cash element when you tried to use the book and upgrade part of the website.
jerry a. laska and Anonba like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Even when I call to UUA, I'm often given a wrong figure for "taxes", so good to be armed with your owned calculations.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Although it is entirely possible that the agent will call the additional charge "taxes" it is no more than additional fee going straight to BA. The last couple of times the charge for me WT+ to CW to the US was £100 per passenger in each direction
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Although it is entirely possible that the agent will call the additional charge "taxes" it is no more than additional fee going straight to BA.
Indeed so, that was rather my point and we appear to be in violent agreement For all that the fees are entirely under BA's control, I will say I do still find WTP->CW UuA on the East Coast USA & Canada routes as something of a sweet spot in terms of Avios value, especially on peak dates.
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Indeed so, that was rather my point and we appear to be in violent agreement For all that the fees are entirely under BA's control, I will say I do still find WTP->CW UuA on the East Coast USA & Canada routes as something of a sweet spot in terms of Avios value, especially on peak dates.
Indeed. I am currently looking at some Florida destinations which have very cheap WT+ fares meaning that the cash difference between them and CW fares is many times more than the £100 each way cost to UuA and make much more sense even than using one of the three 241 vouchers I have awaiting triggering. Of course I have to spend the avios but I still reckon it is a good deal.
BertieBadger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.