Seats not available for pre-selection?

Old Mar 7, 19, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Seats not available for pre-selection?

Greetings, I have an upcoming flight in J from LHR to JFK that I booked on a partner ticket. I checked the seatmap on expertflyer and on BA's own website when I booked and it appeared the seat (64A) was available on both, however when I went to select the seat under managing my reservation it was shown as unavailable, along with any other desirable seat (aka not aisle on the upper deck.)

(Note the flight is 2 months out, I’m looking to pay to secure this seat ahead of time.)

Is this something I need to call to assign?

Last edited by bkojote; Mar 7, 19 at 11:22 am
Old Mar 7, 19, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
64A is a bassinet seat and only available in advance if you have an infant in the booking.
Old Mar 7, 19, 11:43 am

Does it open at check on?
Got it once before and it was very private.
In 61A in two weeks, keep eyeing the corner spot.
Old Mar 7, 19, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Most of the upper deck seats (only one was occupied on Seatguru) aren’t available either. What’s up with that?
Old Mar 7, 19, 3:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA hold back Upper Deck seats for Silvers and Golds (Sapphire and Emeralds) but over time it is possible that other seats will become available. It's not as simple as first come, first served. 64A is available at OLCI, and some people can get it if calling in at 72 or 48 hours to departure.
acquiescefc likes this.
Old Mar 7, 19, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
BA hold back Upper Deck seats for Silvers and Golds (Sapphire and Emeralds) but over time it is possible that other seats will become available. It's not as simple as first come, first served. 64A is available at OLCI, and some people can get it if calling in at 72 or 48 hours to departure.
great info thanks
i guess 72 is gold and 48 is silver?
Old Mar 7, 19, 5:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by acquiescefc View Post
great info thanks
i guess 72 is gold and 48 is silver?
No it's not, but no-one knows why it varies either! Sometimes 48, sometimes 72, sometimes never.