Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class Flights UK to Auckland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
An alternative is to use your 241 companion voucher to get as far east as you can HKG/PEK/SIN and then get reward tickets for getting to AKL assuming avios is no problem. We are doing Australia this way INV-LHR-HKG-CNS all in J and then BNE-HKG-LHR-INV. (Y/F/J). I followed the advice on here and looked like SYD was a non-starter for us. We got reward seats on Cathay and Qantas no problem and all booking 355 days out.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by flatlander
General consensus on "Best route from LHR to AKL on oneworld" seems to be "via HKG connecting to CX".

Cheapest route on OW is probably ex-AMS, ex-OSL or ex-ARN.
I recently flew CX BRU-HKG-KIX and back and was my first time flying Cathay since they'd done their revamp of their J service. I was really, really impressed by the quality and attentiveness of the service, the genuine friendliness on all four flights and the product they have on the 350 was absolutely outstanding (we travelled the centre pair as a couple). Huge amounts of space and storage and it felt like a significant improvement over their 777/330. I personally prefer the reverse herringbone layout to the yin/yang layout (e.g. BA/QSuites) but that's personal. Combined with stellar lounges in HKG (particularly if Oneworld Emerald) CX is a preferred carrier for me, as opposed to the middle east. I also find the timings of flights tend to work nicer on my body from Europe to Asia (vs those to the Middle East) and don't love the 5-6hr hop back to Europe at the end of a long trip.

As for fares, Feb should hold some good deals but you may have to be flexible with dates and/or origin cities. The best origin cities I've found for Oneworld are similar to what flatlander has mentioned, but I'd also check from cities in Italy (FCO, MXP/LIN, BLQ)- though for CX, AMS/BRU seem to be the sweet spot.

Full disclosure I just booked a trip back to Aus out of Italy and via DXB (QF*EK) partially for value but also partially for status reasons, as I'm an expat still working on QF Lifetime status
rossmacd likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
This is a good point. I had read the original post as suggesting that OP was looking for 2-4-1 flights to SYD. On a 2-4-1, SYD is as far as you can go, leaving aside questions of onward availability, because it must be on BA-operated flights. The onward trans-Tasman has to be on a separate ticket.

Ah I often don;t make myself clear, so the wife says

Would be great to use companion voucher or Avios, but if not then just cheapest way of getting business class to Auckland (Sydney not important) on a good hard product.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I have recently flown Business from LHR to AKL via Dubai with Emirates for £2600 return

Given the onboard bar, the A380s and the beauty of the cabin crew I will take it any day over BA
jeremyBA likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

China Airlines for around £2500 leaving LGW. 1-2-1 seating, decent food, pleasant staff. The only annoyance is the transit stop in BNE though it’s pretty quick and there is a decent lounge to use there.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duck1981
I have recently flown Business from LHR to AKL via Dubai with Emirates for £2600 return

Given the onboard bar, the A380s and the beauty of the cabin crew I will take it any day over BA

Wow, bargain, as std price on their website is over £10,000 for two PAX! Would be very happy on Emirates
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:46 am
HRE

Programs: BA
Can find ARN-AKL in Jan 2020 on CX for around £2500, routing via LHR and HKG.

Can force CX343 to Gatwick on the way back to get your luggage, and if you happen to miss your onward flight to ARN from LHR, that would be an awful shame...
Muttley likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HRE
Can find ARN-AKL in Jan 2020 on CX for around £2500, routing via LHR and HKG.

Can force CX343 to Gatwick on the way back to get your luggage, and if you happen to miss your onward flight to ARN from LHR, that would be an awful shame...

Thanks HRE found £5700 70k SEK, for that trip, (for 2 PAX) what do you mean re forcing CX343 Gatwick re baggage?

Last edited by Richardc77; Mar 7, 2019 at 7:53 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Confirmed
maybe go to OSL or ARN first and then have a reallllllly long london stopover?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:43 am
HRE

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Richardc77
Thanks HRE found £5700 70k SEK, for that trip, (for 2 PAX) what do you mean re forcing CX343 Gatwick re baggage?
If you use ITA matrix you can force certain routings and flight numbers to find fares which other online flight searches won't offer you.

By taking the Gatwick flight from Hong Kong, you will get your bags back in London as they can't check bags through to Stockholm if you have to change airports (BA flights to ARN leave from LHR). So although you have to position out to Stockholm to start the journey you may avoid having to go back there on the return.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by flatlander
Even the current QR 777-200LR seat to Auckland is quite acceptable to me. Certainly it's better than the current QR 787 seat if you're tall. So even if QR doesn't have Q-suites on the AKL flight at the time you travel, it should be OK.
The "current" QR 777 seat is not a bad way to spend a flight, especially as a pair, but with the 77L fleet already being at 6/9 refitted I think there is little to no chance that AKL will be anything but a QSuite by the timeframe the OP is looking at.

I would probably keep an eye out for a QR deal out of Europe - pretty high chance one comes along for OP. Jump on the first one that reaches an acceptable price. Just don't count too much on getting TP/Avios for the trip - AAB is making noise about leaving oneworld again and it would be a right shame to find yourself 600TP short of where you thought you'd be!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:08 am

Finnair via HEL is also worth consideration. They offer good fares to the far east, but I don't know how it works out beyond HGK, SIN or other transfer points.

For one trip a few years ago, I found that the most effective route to BNE was with ANZ via LAX and AKL, but that was booking at short notice at a busy time of year.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
The "current" QR 777 seat is not a bad way to spend a flight, especially as a pair, but with the 77L fleet already being at 6/9 refitted I think there is little to no chance that AKL will be anything but a QSuite by the timeframe the OP is looking at.

I would probably keep an eye out for a QR deal out of Europe - pretty high chance one comes along for OP. Jump on the first one that reaches an acceptable price. Just don't count too much on getting TP/Avios for the trip - AAB is making noise about leaving oneworld again and it would be a right shame to find yourself 600TP short of where you thought you'd be!
Will do so thanks, re Avios I'm not that fussed and TP I have always been at the bottom as most of my flying is Companion voucher or with in EU in cheapest economy seats.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
To show what is possible, in April 2017 I booked ARN to AKL on SQ (via DME and SIN) for £2065 for flights in Jan/Feb 2018. I then kept an eye open for a better deal, signing up for various airline newsletters and knowing the cancellation fee for each SQ ticket would be £234. LHR - ARN and back would be done BA on Avios Reward Saver with an overnight stop(s) at a hotel near ARN each way to allow for delays.

In November Qatar announced a sale which offered ARN - DOH - AKL ( 787 then 777) for £1320 and so I grabbed two of those and cancelled SQ with money back on my credit card within 5 days. QR also provided car, driver and hotel room each way for the long-ish stopovers. All worked well throughout and even opted for two nights at ARN outbound and had a great day’s sightseeing in cold Stockholm using the excellent airport bus.

In short, a remakable bargain, the main challenge being having to tell my wife to pack for temperatures ranging from - 20 to + 39 degrees!
PETER01 and T8191 like this.

Last edited by Charlie Whiskey; Mar 7, 2019 at 9:18 am Reason: Sp
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by Charlie Whiskey
To show what is possible, in April 2017 I booked ARN to AKL on SQ (via DME and SIN) for £2065 for flights in Jan/Feb 2018. I then kept an eye open for a better deal, signing up for various airline newsletters and knowing the chancellation fee for each SQ ticket would be £234. LHR - ARN and back would be done BA on Avios Reward Saver with an overnight stop(s) at a hotel near ARN each way to allow for delays.

In November Qatar announced a sale which offered ARN - DOH - AKL ( 787 then 777) for £1320 and so I grabbed two of those and cancelled SQ with money back on my credit card within 5 days. QR also provided car, driver and hotel room each way for the long-ish stopovers. All worked well throughout and even opted for two nights at ARN outbound and had a great day’s sightseeing in cold Stockholm using the excellent airport bus.

In short, a remakable bargain, the main challenge being having to tell my wife to pack for temperatures ranging from - 20 to + 39 degrees!

Cripes that must take some dedication, and indeed the challenge of the wife....I better start stepping up my searching game.

Are there any tools that can assist with this guru level stuff for a newbie to it all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.