Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ooops! Cancel same day Avios booking possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:35 am
09R
Original Poster

i’m currently in Paris, planning to return to London this evening by Eurostar. I received a message from Eurostar saying to expect very long delays due to French customs rehearsing post brexit scenarios and to only travel today if absolutely necessary.

I do need to get back so I thought I’d see how badly the trains throughout the day are delayed and I’d book an Avios ticket as an insurance policy because they can be cancelled with no penalty within 24 hours of booking. What I forgot is that you also can’t cancel within 24 hours of departure. So what’s the rule when you book a same day Avios booking - can you cancel it?

if not then I just may as well cancel Eurostar now!

many thanks
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No. 24 hour rule still applies

see the 'making changes' section

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...reward-flights
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
And the same applies for cash tickets too. If you buy last minute tickets (within 24 hours) you can’t cancel them
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
This is the current BA.com wording of the 24 hours rule on a cash ticket.
  • If you notice a mistake with your booking after you have paid for your ticket(s), you can cancel your flight booking and claim a full refund without penalty (including any corporate card or PayPal fees), up to 24 hours from when you make the original booking
  • Refunds under these circumstances can only be requested by calling our contact centres
  • Some exceptions apply...
  • The following bookings are not covered by this guarantee:
  • Bookings made for travel within 24 hours of booking
  • Bookings where immediate payment is not required
  • Package bookings or flights booked with hotels, car hire, transfers or experiences
  • South African domestic only services, operated by Comair.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:10 am
Shl

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Officially. no - but I had several cases where they allowed me to cancel with a full refund in such scenarios - but mostly the tickets were booked more than 24 hours before the flight and then cancelled within the 24 hour window before the flight. It was always a gesture of good-will and exception to official rules as they stated.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My understanding is that if a cash ticket:
- booked 50 hours before travel: you can be refunded until 26 hours before departure, so a 24 hour window.
- booked 26 hours before travel: you can refunded until 2 hours before travel (as on example), so a 24 hour window
- booked 23 hours before travel: cannot be refunded, no window.

Avios is non refundable 24 hours before departure.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 09R
i’m currently in Paris, planning to return to London this evening by Eurostar. I received a message from Eurostar saying to expect very long delays due to French customs rehearsing post brexit scenarios and to only travel today if absolutely necessary
Strange choice of day to be doing that I would have thought. I wonder what the post Brexit scenarios involve?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:13 am
09R
Original Poster

Thanks all.

We’ve opted to keep the avios tickest in any case as the Gare du Nord looks like a living hell st the moment.

Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Strange choice of day to be doing that I would have thought. I wonder what the post Brexit scenarios involve?
Why a strange choice of day? There aren’t exactly many other days left to choose from!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Why a strange choice of day? There aren’t exactly many other days left to choose from!
Thursday is a popular day for business travel...at least it used to be. So I would have thought a quieter day of the week would have been better for causing less disruption? If it had been BA doing something similar there would have been hell to pay.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Thursday is a popular day for business travel...at least it used to be. So I would have thought a quieter day of the week would have been better for causing less disruption? If it had been BA doing something similar there would have been hell to pay.
From what I gather it was a work to rule showing how the effects of additional checks due to Brexit will impact on French officials so the aim was to provide maximum disruption.

From tweets thst that I have seen people were being questioned for a couple of mins and having full bags searched whereas previously they would have only shown their passport.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:32 pm

Thursday is a popular day for business travel...at least it used to be.
Possibly in the 1970s.

Every day is a busy day on the Eurostar.
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.