Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios: Pronunciation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by flatlander
BA, who invented them.
Did BA specify the correct, 'official' pronunciation too ?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:54 am

Half of the English speaking world can't agree on the correct pronunciation of potato and tomato, so good luck getting a consensus on Avios.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by onobond
Well, now that the pronounciation dilemma seems to have cleared up, it's time to define the correct plural form. If anything similar to other nouns ending with a vocal + s, adding -es seems right? Like princess - princesses, it would be Aviosses then?
This has overtones of when London Zoo wanted to start a development programme for a member of the mongoose species. They asked their supplier "please send a mongoose. And please send another mongoose". There are a lot of words that stay the same in both forms, for example crossroads and headquarters. However it is actually mongooses.

So Avios is to my mind (as a cunning linguist) what is known as an "unmarked plural", or sometimes a "zero plural". Strictly speaking it looks to me to be a "Pluralia Tantum", so the singular form is deemed not to exist. This is common with some units of measure so entirely consistent with the English language (so we have a gross of paper, and two gross of paper).

Another way to look at is is using the word "corps", a word that always ends with S even when singular. And corps gives us a clever way to distinguish singular and plural, since they are suppose to be pronounced differently. In "a corps of officers" the "ps" is not pronounced, "many corps of officers" the s is rendered with both a "pz" sound at the end.
SK and eminere like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Well, now that the pronounciation dilemma seems to have cleared up, it's time to define the correct plural form. If anything similar to other nouns ending with a vocal + s, adding -es seems right? Like princess - princesses, it would be Aviosses then?
I think Avios is already plural. So my question would be, what's the singular form??
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
It is in staff training videos, is that good enough for you?
flatlander likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
Half of the English speaking world can't agree on the correct pronunciation of potato and tomato, so good luck getting a consensus on Avios.
Really? You know people, apart from karaoke singers, who actually say "poh-tar-toh"?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
I seem to say it differently every single time so literally all of them work for me.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is in staff training videos, is that good enough for you?
Not going there. As it is I'm already having more than enough trouble with Merry Ott "because that's how Arne pronounces it".

BTW, isn't it delightfully ironic that the OP is spelled "Pronunciaton" ?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
A linguistic side-effect of globalisation is that corporations need to concoct product names that are useable - or at least not offensive - in a global marketplace Hits are rare, and misses such as the immortal fizzy drink Pschitt are memorable for the wrong reason. Avios falls somewhere in between. You can kind-of see why it looked like genius at the brain storming session but it hasn't taken. It feels too synthetic and the allusion to aviation is too crashingly obvious. The fact that people don't instinctively know how to pronounce it is a bad sign. The fact that a significant proportion of users on this forum still prefer alternatives proves it will never fly (ha ha).
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Rhymes with adios.
This, tried with an English A, fail there...at least in London.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Avv - ee - oss
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I'm not 100% sure how long you now have to listen to the announcements, but I suspect that this method still works.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
I pronounce them AVVY-OSS (with the same ‘O’ sound as in SCONE)
Is that Scone as in SCONE - rhymes with phone

or scone as is SCONN - rhymes with on

Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: BA GGL
See, I figured we already knew the plural, and that the singular was a mystery. If I want to keep my points from expiring, so I just have to earn a single... Avio?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Really? You know people, apart from karaoke singers, who actually say "poh-tar-toh"?
I know a few Americans who habitually pronounce Potato as Po- day- do, in fact nearly all the T’s become P’s.
Coming back to Avios, Avvy Oss singular and plural, could the plural be Avii (avvy eye) ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.