Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow T5 BA Lounge [consideration to others during peak periods]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow T5 BA Lounge [consideration to others during peak periods]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:04 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I think the OP needs a lesson in cultural awareness.
As to the people who are selfish surely? So many people just need a lesson in awareness of fellow human beings don't you think?
PAL62V and Somnifer like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Many people are indeed inconsiderate of others which the OP is correct to point out, but unfortunately international airport lounges are not like our local communities where we live and instead where you can only really ask any norms you want enforced to be done so on your behalf by airline and airport staff where necessary. Almost any kind of citizen policing or chastising is going to go down badly - Asking someone to realise they are being inconsiderate is almost by definition not going to work.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I think the PC-brigade recommending cultural awareness courses and cultural mediators should consider the option that it works the other way round - people should respect local customs and behave accordingly, not expect people to align to their "culture" when abroad.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:25 pm

frandrake

Well said!!!!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:27 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by frandrake
I think the PC-brigade recommending cultural awareness courses and cultural mediators should consider the option that it works the other way round - people should respect local customs and behave accordingly, not expect people to align to their "culture" when abroad.
Spot on!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
We should demand phone cubicles, and "no talking on mobile phones" signs everywhere.

When finding someone talking too loudly, simply point out the sign, tell them where the cubicles are, and job done.

(If anyone from BA is reading, please refer to JL lounges )
Cris L and gypsyjaney like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by frandrake
And what local culture would apply in an airline lounge?

Geographic location of the lounge?
Home country of the carrier?
Do we include code shares?

I tend to ignore rude behaviour unless it directly impacts me. Much healthier than getting worked up about having one's culture disrespected.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
If I'm in a playful/mischievous mood when people are quite openly having a loud private conversation on facetime/speakerphone I'll throw in responses loudly into their conversations so that both parties can hear.
They always get the hint and more. Either to continue their loud conversation elsewhere or to get away from some random weirdo!

Doesn't work so well here in Asia though as people tend to be totally oblivious to what's going on around them.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I think the OP needs a lesson in cultural awareness.
Personally I think you might be one of those people who think they are more important than anyone else?

As far as cultural awareness is concerned I have worked all over Europe, America and the Middle East so my cultural awareness is fully up to speed......
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe this can be merged into one of the many existing threads on people talking loudly on their phones, etc. FWIW, 'Oi' is never going to win you the moral high ground.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC
It’s the shoulder-tapping that would irk me, I’m afraid. By all means ask politely if someone can be quieter. But not your place to touch them unless they’ve forgotten some of their property or are wandering off with some of yours.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I had a similar situation in the theatre once...

The person behind me spoke with his neighbour continuously through the performance.
At the end of the performance I politely excused myself and pointed out, for future reference, such behaviour was not considered acceptable in the UK, as this was where we were sitting at the time.
To which I was called rude.
Reply "Not as rude as you have been to me and the actors, as I should not have had to point out that your behaviour is considered unacceptable here"
Walked off.

Get the feeling these days that "You are rude" has become a standard retort these days.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I always complain to people by smiling and saying ‘excuse me.....etc’ always delivering it in a complimentary tone of voice but making it clear I am not praising their behaviour.
The end result is either they are shocked into being polite/not causing a nuisance or they think I am bonkers and humour me.
Either way it seems to avoid a negative reaction which is a very big plus for me.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:56 am
BOH

A smile plus assertive tone saying, "would you mind" whilst always maintaining eye contact usually works for me. If it doesn't, more direct action is required and that works without fail
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Another reason why I choose to limit my time in any lounge.. better to find a pub at the airport, and enjoy decent beer (which BA lounges dont have)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.