Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow T5 BA Lounge [consideration to others during peak periods]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD

Ok, so I am sitting in the lounge reading my paper and minding my own business in a seating group of 4 people (non of who know each other) when a lady of the group decides to shout down her phone in Italian without any regard for any of the others seated near her. Many looks of discuss and irritation but nobody says anything to her. Having had enough of the noise level I had to rather loudly 'Oi' her to get her attention and tell her to pipe down.

Move on 10 minutes when one of the other 4 people sitting in the group gets up and leaves but is promptly replaced by another person who then proceeds to Facetime someone, again rather loudly. I tap this person on the shoulder and ask if they can take the conversation elsewhere as we don't all need to listen to him. He then says I am rude for the way I spoke to him and then the lady I had to ask earlier decides to chip in with, yes you are very rude!!

I can't type what I said to both next but rather elaborately explained that perhaps if they had any consideration for others I would not have to have been so rude.

Question is, am I the one in the wrong here and are other people just as hacked off having to endure this type of behaviour?

Before I get the usual barrage of keyboard warriors, yes I am aware it is a business lounge and I too was on business and made a couple of calls but did not broadcast them!!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to Flyertalk, Ianintgettingonnoplanefool

Please follow this thread as it moves to the British Airways forum

Prospero
Moderator: Airport Lounges forum
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Welcome to FT

Seems the norm these days. You can't control others' actions, only your own reaction to them. Why get yourself worked up?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ianintgettingonnoplanefool
Before I get the usual barrage of keyboard warriors, yes I am aware it is a business lounge and I too was on business and made a couple of calls but did not broadcast them!!
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum ianintgettingonnoplanefool, it's good to see you here and I hope we will see more of you in the future.

I think "oi" isn't a good interjection in my opinion, but a calm, smiling explanation that the noise is a bit loud may be helpful, it tends to work for me at least. The other possibility is to start singing out aloud, which requires some nerve but it does get the message across. Over the years you discover that different cultures have different approaches, so Japan is at one end of the spectrum, where loud telephone calls would be considered extremely bad manners, through to places like Italy and Argentina where even sod-casting is considered a temporary but necessary interruption.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:30 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ianintgettingonnoplanefool
Ok, so I am sitting in the lounge reading my paper and minding my own business in a seating group of 4 people (non of who know each other) when a lady of the group decides to shout down her phone in Italian without any regard for any of the others seated near her. Many looks of discuss and irritation but nobody says anything to her. Having had enough of the noise level I had to rather loudly 'Oi' her to get her attention and tell her to pipe down.

Move on 10 minutes when one of the other 4 people sitting in the group gets up and leaves but is promptly replaced by another person who then proceeds to Facetime someone, again rather loudly. I tap this person on the shoulder and ask if they can take the conversation elsewhere as we don't all need to listen to him. He then says I am rude for the way I spoke to him and then the lady I had to ask earlier decides to chip in with, yes you are very rude!!

I can't type what I said to both next but rather elaborately explained that perhaps if they had any consideration for others I would not have to have been so rude.

Question is, am I the one in the wrong here and are other people just as hacked off having to endure this type of behaviour?

Good Man (or lady) ^ Good for you for standing up to these people and saying / doing something rather than just putting up with it. Always good to see people taking action and not just bleating about it on an IBB...
dylanc, sentosa, icegirl and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Well done to the OP! There has to be give & take both ways but if someone is being loud / inconsiderate, politely asking them to keep it down or go to a vestibule / public area is perfectly reasonable in my view.
sentosa likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:37 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum ianintgettingonnoplanefool, it's good to see you here and I hope we will see more of you in the future.

I think "oi" isn't a good interjection in my opinion, but a calm, smiling explanation that the noise is a bit loud may be helpful, it tends to work for me at least. The other possibility is to start singing out aloud, which requires some nerve but it does get the message across. Over the years you discover that different cultures have different approaches, so Japan is at one end of the spectrum, where loud telephone calls would be considered extremely bad manners, through to places like Italy and Argentina where even sod-casting is considered a temporary but necessary interruption.
This is so true. In Italy it is not considered rude at all to have a very loud telephone conversation or facetime exchange in public. They also have lots of little sub-meetings during a main business meeting, even when someone is presenting there can be 2-3 people talking quite loudly to each other - this would be considered quite rude in the UK. I can recommend a great book on this called "When Cultures Collide" that goes into the general people and business habits, cultures and general "do's and don'ts" for each culture. Always helps to understand the culture, then less offence is taken.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:47 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Welcome to FT

You can't control others' actions.....
Ah but you certainly can! See post #10 below ^

Last edited by BOH; Mar 6, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
In the Flounge on Saturday with my little boy, no seats together. Lots of seats with coats and bags on. I ask a chap if a seat next to him, taken by his coat is free, he says no. I sit opposite and my son sat a few seats away. In the next 90 minutes the seat next to this man is not taken, yet remains occupied by his coat. As this complete tosser left the lounge for his flight, I was on the phone to my mum. I remarked that his imaginary friend had failed to turn up now so my little boy could sit next to me. At least the man with his (cheap and nasty) coat looked suitably embarrassed. People are so rude and thoughtless.....
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by MrsW
In the Flounge on Saturday with my little boy, no seats together. Lots of seats with coats and bags on. I ask a chap if a seat next to him, taken by his coat is free, he says no. I sit opposite and my son sat a few seats away. In the next 90 minutes the seat next to this man is not taken, yet remains occupied by his coat. As this complete tosser left the lounge for his flight, I was on the phone to my mum. I remarked that his imaginary friend had failed to turn up now so my little boy could sit next to me. At least the man with his (cheap and nasty) coat looked suitably embarrassed. People are so rude and thoughtless.....
This would have been me. Then I lived in New York for a number of years. Now, if there are no seats otherwise, and someone has their coat or bag in a seat, I say "Is that your coat or bag?", and when they say yes, I quickly move it and sit down. I'm thoroughly pleasant and oblivious about it and have yet to see anyone argue with me after I've sat down. If they were truly saving it for a companion, or someone gone to the loo, I would let it go. But, frankly, you can usually tell that before asking. Using a seat in a crowded lounge just to hold your coat or bag is not acceptable, and that person can be politely ignored.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
This is so true. In Italy it is not considered rude at all to have a very loud telephone conversation or facetime exchange in public. They also have lots of little sub-meetings during a main business meeting, even when someone is presenting there can be 2-3 people talking quite loudly to each other - this would be considered quite rude in the UK. I can recommend a great book on this called "When Cultures Collide" that goes into the general people and business habits, cultures and general "do's and don'ts" for each culture. Always helps to understand the culture, then less offence is taken.
I think I'd save the money on the book and buy a jammer.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
through to places like Italy and Argentina where even sod-casting is considered a temporary but necessary interruption.
True, although being conscious my tone of voice is "loud" I usually stand up and walk away when I have to pick up a phone call trying to find a place with less people. TBH I think many people just don't care. I was in T3 Flounge a few days ago and there was a guy watching a game on his phone at full volume.

Many are just rude. The only consolation is that, generally speaking, what happens outside the lounge is worse so I put up with the occasional clowns in the lounges.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:36 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by capin
I think I'd save the money on the book and buy a jammer.
^^
capin likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As c-w-s said the volume button does seem to be stuck on high in my part of the world so what the OP describes wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

It would take something really annoying like my lounge seat neighbour playing a droning Corbyn interview on their ghetto blaster before I would feel the need to intervene.

Last edited by HIDDY; Mar 6, 2019 at 3:34 pm Reason: To add a smilie to show it was meant in jest. ;)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I think the OP needs a lesson in cultural awareness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.