Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New First offering, from 31 March 2019 [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First offering, from 31 March 2019 [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by speedbird001
Uninspiring to say the least.......
Except for the sliders on some menu's and the addition of crisps at snack time, the meals look just like the old ones. It will be interesting to hear about the new linens.
Were we expecting all sorts of Caviar and Roasted unicorn and the like?

Otherwise surely quality is the key, not the write up.
Padmeister and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
To be honest what do you expect for breakfast on the DOH LHR flight?
our_kid, wrp96, PrimaVista and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I cannot remember the last time I had an outstanding main in F but I have had outstanding starters and puddings. With separate sides, if the catering levels permit, I may well prefer two starters, a side and no main.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver

Could quite happily spend the flight quaffing some of this, first discovered this wine back in the eighties wandering round the wine departments of French Hypermarkets during camping holidays in France. A copy of A Bootful of Wine also helped plus watching what the locals bought.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:04 pm

I am flying in 1st on the 3rd to Austin. pre booking menu attached
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
"Free range scrambled eggs"? Don't they mean "scrambled free range eggs"? Or did the scrambling take place out on the range? I would have thought that BA would know how to use the language to make the meaning clear.
The meaning is very clear, in that everyone knows that it means.

Neither of the two options above is ideal, but if I had been the copywriter I may well have picked the first.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:55 pm

"Free range scrambled eggs"? Don't they mean "scrambled free range eggs"? Or did the scrambling take place out on the range? I would have thought that BA would know how to use the language to make the meaning clear.
My favourite is ‘hot smoked salmon’.

Is that hot-smoked and served cold? Or just hot?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Davidjonesk

My favourite is ‘hot smoked salmon’.

Is that hot-smoked and served cold? Or just hot?
Or hot as in spicy hot ?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Neither of the two options above is ideal, but if I had been the copywriter I may well have picked the first.
And you would have been incorrect. Deconstructing the first, "free range" modifies "scrambled" and "scrambled" modifies "eggs." And it is for that very reason that I suggest that the meaning is anything but clear; although, as you say, we know what they meant. But that's more of a comment on increasingly lax language usage and standards than it is on the correctness of the grammar.
eminere, Gastrocnemius and chris87 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:49 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by LionRed
Couple of menus from new F. The BA122 DOHA -> LHR seems a little uninspiring.

BA065 LHR-NBO Menu.pdf

BA122_DOH_LHR_Menu.pdf
Thanks for this - very interesting (though uninspiring!) I am flying the BA122 DOH-LHR in F shortly - is this the menu for April flights? Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Confirmed
My English improves every time I read the BA forum.
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
What I’d like to see above all of these improvements is reliability. There’s almost always very noticable failures in the soft product in F. Like last night on BA28 they served the British fizz (and as it’s not hard to taste/sniff the difference) I was told ”we cannot do anything, LPGS was not loaded”. Alrighty then, maybe you could have told us that prior trying to pass that piss as a Champagne.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:02 am

And you would have been incorrect. Deconstructing the first, "free range" modifies "scrambled" and "scrambled" modifies "eggs." And it is for that very reason that I suggest that the meaning is anything but clear; although, as you say, we know what they meant. But that's more of a comment on increasingly lax language usage and standards than it is on the correctness of the grammar.
This is all OT, but your view of what is correct is rather prescriptive. I would argue in the alternative that ‘scrambled eggs’ is a set phrase - it is a dish in itself - which is why it isn’t great to split it up.

Had the dish instead been e.g. ‘Two eggs, cooked to your liking’ then of course putting ‘free range’ at the start would clearly be incorrect (no speaker would say ‘free range two eggs’) but there’s certainly room for argument with the line above.

Also, your assertion that ‘the meaning is anything but clear; although, as you say, we know what they meant’ is oxymoronic. If we all actually know what they meant then the meaning is, in fact, clear - even if there is an alternative grammatical interpretation.

Why I’m bothering typing this from a stunning beach in El Nido I have no idea.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Mar 30, 2019 at 2:15 am
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
There doesn’t seem to be much variation between the menus that have been posted, maybe one dish swapped out to suit a particular route. Is that how it is/was pre these changes?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Of course, if you were a copywriter you would have picked the former!

😁
alex67500 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.