FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   New First offering, from 31 March 2019 [general discussion] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1959607-new-first-offering-31-march-2019-general-discussion.html)

nshep Mar 6, 2019 11:51 am

Flying in F with my partner for first time in July to SJC and back from JFK. Have nothing to compare to but looks like it’s gonna be great with these new changes.

How do the crew know what size loungewear to provide you? Do they measure you up as you step onboard 😂

Tobias-UK Mar 6, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 30855089)

Nope, pretty much nothing, including on longest flights like SCL, EZE, SIN, etc. galley has fruit and basically otherwise they’ll get some crisps, sweet snacks etc from the club kitchen and that’s it since the bistro menu disappeared.

I think a new iteration of the Bistro Menu might be coming, the blurb (posted above in full) says this: "
  • Our full à la carte menu, plus a range of lighter options
Fingers crossed!!

icegirl Mar 6, 2019 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by londonexpert (Post 30854152)
Exactly!!! So they used the wrong term!

Not quite..

Why is it called 'high tea'?

A possible explanation why this type of meal was called high tea is the fact that it was eaten at a table. In comparison, Afternoon Tea was taken whilst seating in low, comfortable chairs or sofas. Of course, soon after, the upper classes developed their own variation and also called it 'high tea'. It was a meal that could be eaten when their servants were away or not available, as it was so easy to prepare. The upper class 'high tea' involved the amalgamation of Afternoon Tea and high tea, with the addition of pigeon, veal, salmon and fruit.

It is important to add that the Afternoon Tea menu served in the UK today is often refered to as high tea in many other parts of the world. Because of this some hotels, such as The Ritz in London, use the term 'High tea in London' to advertise their Afternoon Tea because a large proportion of their customers are from overseas.

https://afternoontea.co.uk/informati...t-is-high-tea/

Nicoolio Mar 6, 2019 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj (Post 30855203)

As the meal service normally takes at least an hour or so and with the ability to eat when you want, it shouldn’t really be a huge issue in F.

Without trying to bash BA, what do other carriers offer on this front?

I’ve only been on LX and LH in F other than BA and can’t rememebr there being any dedicated ‘snacks’ as such but didn’t go looking either.

QR and QF definitely have mid-flight light meals available, even in business class, and last time I flew EY they did too. AA definitely does - even in business class they put out a spread with sandwiches and appetizer type things between meals - even JFK-LHR. Also, I think most airlines are dine on demand in First Class. I don't like chocolates and chips but if I was hungry might want a sandwich or something.

On LH and LX not sure - but they seem to cater more than BA. I've been on flights where they offer a second main course or seconds from the appetizer and caviar carts. Most of the time I eat in the lounge and just sleep during the flight or do some work. I flew BA first in December and obviously didn't notice, but just assumed they must have some sandwiches. Is Club Kitchen totally gone then? I thought they still had it on longer flights.

355F1 Mar 6, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by zappomatic (Post 30854754)

Having a light shone on your face when you’re trying to sleep or relax must be quite irritating.

She seems to be smiling. :D

355F1 Mar 6, 2019 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by nshep (Post 30855295)
How do the crew know what size loungewear to provide you? Do they measure you up as you step onboard 😂

They ask you. Lol.

Or, if they are good at their job they simply tell you that you are a Medium, Large, etc. ;)

I have a First flight planned for March so I am excited for the changes!

The _Banking_Scot Mar 6, 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoolio (Post 30855341)

On LH and LX not sure - but they seem to cater more than BA. I've been on flights where they offer a second main course or seconds from the appetizer and caviar carts. Most of the time I eat in the lounge and just sleep during the flight or do some work. I flew BA first in December and obviously didn't notice, but just assumed they must have some sandwiches. Is Club Kitchen totally gone then? I thought they still had it on longer flights.

Hi,

It will depend on the route. I had 2 flights to/from HKG in Dec 18 and there was VERY limited snacks in the Club kitchen ( think packet of biscuits/dried fruit etc). This was 2 overnight flights which has reduced Cluk Kitchen . There was a reasonable selection on the daytime LHR-PHX in september.

Regards

TBS

jlemon Mar 6, 2019 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer (Post 30854032)
"A wide selection of Champagnes, wines, spirits, and non-alcoholic drinks "

But as we already know, the white wine must cost them less than UKP 6 at wholesale prices..........

It will be interesting to see if they up their wine game, especially with regard to Bordeaux. I certainly hope so.....

The _Banking_Scot Mar 6, 2019 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 30853972)
This is the BA press release on the new First offering - note the rollout of the new products will start on March 31 and will be complete by April 7:

British Airways’ First customers continue to have access to the airline’s exclusive First Wing at Heathrow Terminal 5. Re-designed and unveiled in 2017, the First Wing provides customers with a private check-in area leading through to dedicated security lanes, which grant customers direct access to British Airways’ prestigious First Lounge."

Hi,

Should not the Press release have mentioned the Concorde Room rather than the First lounge?

Regards

TBS

DYKWIA Mar 6, 2019 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoolio (Post 30855341)
QR and QF definitely have mid-flight light meals available, even in business class, and last time I flew EY they did too. AA definitely does - even in business class they put out a spread with sandwiches and appetizer type things between meals - even JFK-LHR. Also, I think most airlines are dine on demand in First Class. I don't like chocolates and chips but if I was hungry might want a sandwich or something.

VS in J
EK in F, plus snacks in J

Cap'n Benj Mar 6, 2019 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 30855450)
VS in J
EK in F, plus snacks in J

what do VS offer, I can’t remember seeing anything.

Or do you just mean selecting something from the menu?

GodAtum Mar 6, 2019 12:35 pm

Very sceptical, ever heard of the phrase "polishing a turd?" The steak will be dry, the scones will be rock hard and the service dismal. But maybe I'm jaded!

Tobias-UK Mar 6, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 30855444)
Hi,

Should not the Press release have mentioned the Concorde Room rather than the First lounge?

Regards

TBS

They do, not in the main body but in the notes to editors at the bottom.

DYKWIA Mar 6, 2019 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj (Post 30855475)

what do VS offer, I can’t remember seeing anything.

Or do you just mean selecting something from the menu?

They had lamb burger sliders and pies IIRC. You could order at anytime.

bakera Mar 6, 2019 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 30855444)
Hi,

Regards

TBS

no, because the priority lane drops you straight into the First Lounge. You then have to fight through the masses to escape the other end of the lounge and then have your boarding pass checked to enter the CCR.