BA Wine tasting in F

Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Generally red wine and curry make a poor pairing as the spice of the curry accentuates the tannins in the wine. Indian curry tends to go best with aromatic white wines like Gewurztraminer or a Riesling with some residual sugar (e.g. a Spatlese)
RHWine likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Generally red wine and curry make a poor pairing as the spice of the curry accentuates the tannins in the wine. Indian curry tends to go best with aromatic white wines like Gewurztraminer or a Riesling with some residual sugar (e.g. a Spatlese)
I've always preferred an aromatic wine with Thai or Indian, and I never quite knew why. (Bubbly also "cuts" nicely through the high fat content imo, but that is a personal peculiarity with me, it seems).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Amelorn
I've always preferred an aromatic wine with Thai or Indian, and I never quite knew why. (Bubbly also "cuts" nicely through the high fat content imo, but that is a personal peculiarity with me, it seems).
Definitely an aromatic with Thai and fishy lighter Indian food however red wine can go well with heavier meatier dishes
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
There'll be a lot of frantic Googling going on to find out the cost of these wines on the high street.
Curious if anyone knows what these wines retail for in the UK........
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Chateau Haut Bergey 2006 - 22 in the UK ( 15 in France)
Akarua Pinot - 19 in the UK ( 11 in NZ)
R&G Ribera - 12 (in Spain)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's a shame they couldn't offer you an Indian red - I've enjoyed a few in the past, such as Grover.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by mrandery

Id say BA is slightly lagging compared to ek

Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mrandery
A rather poor (pour) showing considering these two lovelies I was able to enjoy on recent flights with CX in F
https://www.premiersgrandscrus.com/e...ng-bottle_075l
https://www.gerrardseel.co.uk/produc...BoCuYMQAvD_BwE
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
agree they are proper F wines - the F wines on BA are so sub par it shows that they are not really interested in spending money in that area.
johnaalex likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold: HHonors Diamond; Accor Silver
Interesting experiment and Id probably have gone with your selection myself. Pinot Noir certainly too light , the Bordeaux isnt complex enough but the Spanish would have hit the mark.

Generally something a bit spicy or floral works well with curry - its the sauce youre matching rather than the meat actually- so agree that Gwertztraminer, Torrontes or a decent Riesling would be good.

But as ever with wine, its your choice that matters.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xPositor
It's a shame they couldn't offer you an Indian red - I've enjoyed a few in the past, such as Grover.

I agree that BA could do a bit more to exhibit wines local to the destination of a particular destination more often. I had this Grover tonight in the Indian Restaurant (Ziya) at the Oberoi in Mumbai. But I took the photo in a restaurant in London last week. It matched that meal very well. I had to google Vijay Armitraj to discover that he was an Indian tennis star.

Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold: HHonors Diamond; Accor Silver
Agreed. Indian wine is where Argentina and Chile were say 30 years ago. Same as Chinese wines actually. Long way to go in terms of quality and production by many producers but as smaller independent ones start up that will drove quality up.

My next flights are LHR -DUS BA0936 17 March and DUs-LHR BA0941 19 March to and from the ProWein fair in Dsseldorf. Always good to taste the up and coming wine areas there including India, China Georgia and Armenia
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
This reminds me of one of my best BA experiences. I was the only person in F on my way to Boston. The amazing crew set up a seat for champagne and the British sparkling wine tasting, one for white wine tasting and one for red. Sensibely the also made one up as a bed! Great flight (I think!)
cosmo74 and RHWine like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by RHWine
Always good to taste the up and coming wine areas there including India, China Georgia and Armenia
i think that calling Georgia up and coming for wine is a bit odd. They have credible claims as the region with the oldest evidence of wine making and have been consistently (and successfully) keeping up with that tradition ever since. Georgia and Moldavia were consistently the two regions producing luxury wines throughout the history of the Russian empire and then Soviet Union. I agree with you on India and China.

PS: the very old Georgian wine making tradition also comes with a pretty lethal toasting tradition that makes it hard to go through a Georgian dinner without getting drunk and spending 3+ hours at the table!!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:37 am

In a series of tastings some while ago Tesco determined that rose went best with curries. I think the winner was Pink Elephant which had an Indian ring about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.