BA Wine tasting in F

Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:48 am
Original Poster

BA Wine tasting in F

​​​​​​On BA139 (LHR-BOM) yesterday I decided that rather than choose a wine to go with my main course I would taste and compare all the reds on offer.

The lunch menu on this flight to Mumbai included some Indian choices and I went for the lamb rogan josh. I might have chosen a beer to go with it but thought that a red wine could work.

Here I was ready to go. The Bordeaux is on the left and the Spanish on the right.

The Bordeaux was a great wine with some complex flavours but it could not compete with the rogan josh and was a poor match. Similarly the NZ pinot noir. A fine wine in its own right but too light for the sturdy curried lamb and though I am a great supporter of NZ pinot, not this time. The Spanish wine was a big and sturdy one and was able to take on the curry and hold its own. It won hands down and was a clear winner.
LPQ, Muttley and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There'll be a lot of frantic Googling going on to find out the cost of these wines on the high street.

Apart from Malbec my next favourite red variety is Tempranillo.....although I'd stick to drinking beer when having curry. That one looks delicious.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Very nice, always good to get set up nicely and work through the wine list!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Hope the wine is good. The food does not look attractive!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
There's something faintly absurd about wine tasting on a plane.....where your taste buds don't work properly
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
There's something faintly absurd about wine tasting on a plane.....where your taste buds don't work properly
and which is why an expensive wine is not always the best either.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’ll admit that with the curry, I would have been more tempted by a white personally. Hope you enjoyed the meal and drinks though!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:30 am
Original Poster

But that is the whole point of this fun exercise. Tasting at 36,000 feet is not the same so in-flight which one comes off best?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Yes, it might be bad idea to translate your choices to the ground, but in the context of the flight it makes a lot of sense to try them all!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I've had that lamb curry enroute to BOM.. Not sure if they had a kitchen malfunction but it was totally devoid of any Indian spices and tasted like a watery pasta sauce. My worst BA meal, in any cabin!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:52 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by gbs1112
But that is the whole point of this fun exercise. Tasting at 36,000 feet is not the same so in-flight which one comes off best?
This is why if I can, I would prefer to taste at least 2 different wines even though I know I should know how they would taste, but in the air what you like on the ground might not be one that you will also like in the air.
If I feel that the FA is up to it, than I will politely ask if I could try a bit of at least 2.
I believe on AA International First (at least a when they first rolled out the new First service a few years back), passengers were encouraged to do wine tasting in-flight.

Cheers!
NoY likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:11 am
Original Poster

I started by asking to taste two of the three reds, the Bordeaux and the Kiwi wines. When the main course was delivered I tentatively suggested “why not go all the way and taste the lot” to which the FA replied “It would be rude not to”. That third glass was the Spanish and turned out to be the best of three.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by gbs1112

​​​​​​On BA139 (LHR-BOM) yesterday I decided that rather than choose a wine to go with my main course I would taste and compare all the reds on offer.

The lunch menu on this flight to Mumbai included some Indian choices and I went for the lamb rogan josh. I might have chosen a beer to go with it but thought that a red wine could work.

Here I was ready to go. The Bordeaux is on the left and the Spanish on the right.

The Bordeaux was a great wine with some complex flavours but it could not compete with the rogan josh and was a poor match. Similarly the NZ pinot noir. A fine wine in its own right but too light for the sturdy curried lamb and though I am a great supporter of NZ pinot, not this time. The Spanish wine was a big and sturdy one and was able to take on the curry and hold its own. It won hands down and was a clear winner.
Thank you very interesting I am hoping to fly next Saturday on the 199 (Mother ill) - have ordered the duck! Did you see what whites they are serving as have my eye on the scallops as a starter (if I get there) Thank you...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Sad to see that BA F has gone so far down on Bordeaux
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Of course you should wine taste in the air, you are looking for the wine that tastes the best with the food being served while airborne.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.