Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can two planes with the same call sign be in the air at the same time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can two planes with the same call sign be in the air at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Dubh
If i remember correctly, you can end up with Speedbird 712 (Zurich) and Shamrock 712 (Cork), or maybe numbers in that series in London airspace at the same time.

Heathrow Tower?
Absolutely. Differing airlines can and do have the same flight number while flying through the same sector of air traffic control. IE. Speedbird 566 could be in the same vicinity as Swiss 566.(numbers used are random choice)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
This is what happens when the call signs are similar.

Thankfully a disaster was averted. But it can very well happen again in the future.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by blackdog047
In Europe we have CSS which we run as part of the Network Manager

"The use of similar call signs by aircraft operating in the same area, on the same radio frequency gives rise to potential and actual flight safety incidents.

The Call Sign Similarity (CSS) project, has been initiated by EUROCONTROL with the aim of establishing pan-European CSS solutions centred on a coordinated service operated by EUROCONTROL’s Network Manager Operations Centre (NMOC). The aim is to reduce the level of operational call sign confusion events and therefore improve levels of safety."
Daventry sector used to have the following on the same frequency at the same time which help lead to the resolution quoted above:

BMA2
BMA52
BMA82
BMA652
BMA952
DAN102
DAN152

and a couple of others to add to the mix. It was a nightmare for all concerned. I think I may still have one of the reports that I filed at the time.

BA add the D to indicate a day late, but also use 91## out of the US. I think we were on BA9106 when our SAN flight got a 24 hour delay.
I actually didn't think it was now allowed to have 2 aircraft at all with the same callsign but happy to be corrected. Does the ANZ1/2 situation actually have the same day of operation?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
There are a verrry few cases in which different segments have the same flight number. I recall that there were one or two on the AA schedule, but can't remember what they were. The real question, it seems to me, is whether flights near each other ever have the same numbers.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
There are a verrry few cases in which different segments have the same flight number. I recall that there were one or two on the AA schedule, but can't remember what they were. The real question, it seems to me, is whether flights near each other ever have the same numbers.
There are cases where two segments have the same flight number but there is a change of equipment between them. It can then happen that if the first segment is delayed the second segment can leave before the first lands. Presumably there is a protocol for handling this situation.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: mileage plus
working for Air Canada i know we put an extra number if the flight is cancelled and operating the same number so instead of AC869 it would be AC2869
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by steve170461
Does the ANZ1/2 situation actually have the same day of operation?
Yes, it’s daily but they’re on opposite sides of the earth so zero issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.