Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can two planes with the same call sign be in the air at the same time?

Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Purely hypothetical question for interest:
If, for whatever reason, BA15 from Singapore to Sydney was massively delayed, once it had left Singapore could the next days BA15 from Heathrow to Singapore depart under that number?
No reason to ask other than curiosity!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
I'm not sure about the flight number but the callsign gets a D at the end.
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have been on an MH flight that was delayed 24 hours, and got a D appended to its flight number. Don’t know if BA do the same.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
some airlines use a 'P' for postponed so a delayed BA11 would be BA11P and the scheduled flight for that day would remain as BA11
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
If you look at TheBASource.com you will see delayed flights often get 'D' added to a flight number

Last edited by pennineuk; Mar 6, 2019 at 5:06 am Reason: Correct BA source name
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: Confirmed
Call signs and flight numbers are different things. Not always matched.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by SKRan
Call signs and flight numbers are different things. Not always matched.

Quite often they are very different, for example the BAW985 from Berlin yesterday had the callsign BAW6AM. Callsigns are often different for deconfliction and to avoid confusion. Indeed even if a callsign is similar to another ATC will often inform the pilots of a similar callsign on the frequency.
CloudGazer, nivsy and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:04 am
Original Poster

All extremely interesting responses! Every day is a school day on FlyerTalk!
Thank you one and all.
expatboy, eminere and MeltingAlf like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:59 am

In Europe we have CSS which we run as part of the Network Manager

"The use of similar call signs by aircraft operating in the same area, on the same radio frequency gives rise to potential and actual flight safety incidents.

The Call Sign Similarity (CSS) project, has been initiated by EUROCONTROL with the aim of establishing pan-European CSS solutions centred on a coordinated service operated by EUROCONTROL’s Network Manager Operations Centre (NMOC). The aim is to reduce the level of operational call sign confusion events and therefore improve levels of safety."
IAMORGAN and windchaser777 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
No, same 2 numbered flights can't be in the air at the same time. Has happened to me numerous times. One flight changes their number.

United is a bear to get credit for a flight with an in air number change - I have fought it and eventually got my credit and I have also been credited double for both flight numbers - so make sure to keep boarding passes and screenshot flight change announcement etc - not sure how bad BA is at giving avios and TP
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've once seen this in JNB (where 24-hour delays are nothing unusual!). There were two BA flights with the same flight number leaving at the exact same time (one of them was 24h delayed), which was creating some confusion in the lounge (which evolved into outrage once the delayed flight got delayed by another 12 hours shortly before boarding).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Air New Zealand's NZ002 AKL-LAX-LHR, the flight is landing in London at 1040 GMT as the next days leaves AKL at 0950 GMT, so a planned 50 minute overlap of two aircraft calling "New Zealand 2". And they both use this same callsign but on different sides of the globe so zero scope for an ATC issue. Ops planning may be another story!

Virgin's SYD-HKG-LHR flights were similar, however the BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR has 35 mins between the LHR flight landing and the next one leaving SYD.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
some airlines use a 'P' for postponed so a delayed BA11 would be BA11P and the scheduled flight for that day would remain as BA11
Isn't P used to identify positioning flights, rather than postponed?

R is often for return to stand but that may be a local thing if the flight subsequently leaves albeit later than scheduled.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
It’s certainly been known. The problem begins when they are both under the responsibility of the same ATCO.

Back a decade or so ago when United were running their RTW flights, UAL1 was often just about to land while UAL1 was on climb out. Not an issue.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:26 pm

If i remember correctly, you can end up with Speedbird 712 (Zurich) and Shamrock 712 (Cork), or maybe numbers in that series in London airspace at the same time.

Heathrow Tower?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.