Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus Cancelling Flights for Summer, 2019 [Avios redemption re-booking]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Surprised that the thread hasn't already been started, but Aer Lingus has cancelled their new Montreal to Dublin flights for 2019 and, so far, BA is refusing to put Avios tickets onto another carrier without upcharging both Avios and services charges and fees and won't do it even with the upcharges unless Avios availability is already there. Flights that I booked for 120,000 Avios and $419.02 USD are now looking like at least 245,000 Avios and $1771.84, if they would even book them for me, which they won't because there are no Avios seats available. Seems to be an evident breach of EU rules by either BA or Aer Lingus.
For anyone else in the same situation, please let us all know if you find a solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Does that other carrier include BA's own LHR-YUL flights? Strange that they wouldn't rebook you, regardless of Avios availability, if so, IMO.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:30 pm

EU regs mean you must be re routed under comparable conditions, so keep pushing.

Sometimes it is best to wait a little until they've established a rebooking policy though
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Surprised that the thread hasn't already been started, but Aer Lingus has cancelled their new Montreal to Dublin flights for 2019 and, so far, BA is refusing to put Avios tickets onto another carrier without upcharging both Avios and services charges and fees and won't do it even with the upcharges unless Avios availability is already there. Flights that I booked for 120,000 Avios and $419.02 USD are now looking like at least 245,000 Avios and $1771.84, if they would even book them for me, which they won't because there are no Avios seats available. Seems to be an evident breach of EU rules by either BA or Aer Lingus.
For anyone else in the same situation, please let us all know if you find a solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg
Hi,

I booked DUB-YUL about 4 days ago with avios on EI. I was going to purchase a separate ticket to go to ORD the following day. I booked a RFS to Dublin the same day to connect to the YUL flight.

I got the standard text and cancellation email from BA. Called the Gold Line and was connected to Warrington who handle the avios bookings. Agent incorrectly advised me there has to be avios availability to book; I advised her it’s an invol reroute and I didn’t appreciate being fobbed off - her attitude was bad. She changed her tune but as I was too frustrated I decided I did not want to continue with the call and waste time.

a few minutes later Aer Lingus called me to advise on the canx, they advised they will rebook and take over the ticket. The person I spoke to was exceptional, she booked me on BA Lhr-ORD in Club as invol and reissued the ticket straight away, so worked out well.

in the meantime, I had sent a message to BA by DM on twitter and they got in contact to apologise about the contact centre.

so unless EI have contacted you, which hopefully they will send Ba a DM on Twitter it would be invol so avios availability is irrelevant, however EI are more flexible with rebooking.

Hope you get it sorted
Dambus and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:37 pm

Didn't they decide to cancel the flight just a few days ago? I suspect that they simply haven't informed customer service on what to do yet and so customer service gives incorrect information.

Under EU rules, they have to rebook you in one way or another. However, since you aren't travelling until summer, they have got plenty of time to rebook you and so they may prefer to focus on rebooking passengers travelling earlier. I suggest that you wait and see. Don't try to cancel your ticket as you may lose your rights to rebook it free of charge.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Some person
Didn't they decide to cancel the flight just a few days ago? I suspect that they simply haven't informed customer service on what to do yet and so customer service gives incorrect information.
Rebooking after a cancellation is very routine and there are 'standard guidelines' re what to do in such a situation. Any additional policies (route-specific) can take a couple of days, but does not mean that the standard policies don't apply.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Tried again today and it was no problem at all this time. Leave 35 minutes earlier and get in 2 hours and 40 minutes later, all on BA through LHR, but not a bad result for 6 of us, all in all. Thank you everyone for confirming my understanding of how it should have been handled
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA ExecPlat, TK Elite
I just called BA, was offered free-rerouting via YYZ.
I asked about being re-routed YUL-LHR-DUB, was told as I have an avios ticket that is not a possibility.
So I want to ask, those that have successfully been rebooked YUL-LHR-DUB, was this for an avios ticket or paid ticket?

@haroon145 was this for an avios or paid ticket? I called EI yesterday, and they refused to handle the matter further, and directed me to BA.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LX64A332
I asked about being re-routed YUL-LHR-DUB, was told as I have an avios ticket that is not a possibility.
So I want to ask, those that have successfully been rebooked YUL-LHR-DUB, was this for an avios ticket or paid ticket?

@haroon145 was this for an avios or paid ticket? I called EI yesterday, and they refused to handle the matter further, and directed me to BA.
Ours were Avios tickets and there was not Avios availability on the flights that they moved us to, they opened space on BA flights. I called the BA Canadian phone line, although I don't know if it makes a difference. HUCA would seem to be in order for you.
Edit: Just had a second thought about your predicament. Would seem to be in BA's best interest to reroute you through LHR. To get you from YUL to YYZ would require them to buy a ticket on another airline and not even an alliance partner, so it can't be a matter of Avios availability because there is never Avios availability from YUL to YYZ, Oneworld doesn't fly that route. Sounds like you really got a winner of a rep on your call.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by farnorthtrader; Mar 9, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
Rebooking after a cancellation is very routine and there are 'standard guidelines' re what to do in such a situation. Any additional policies (route-specific) can take a couple of days, but does not mean that the standard policies don't apply.
However, there is one area where customer service really excels: giving incorrect information. That's why it may be better to wait until someone who knows how it works contacts you instead of trying to contact customer service.
The operating airline (EI) is required under EU rules to rebook you under comparable conditions and it's debatable if it's comparable conditions if you have to change more times than necessary. BA is not the operating airline and so can maybe set other conditions for rebookings made by BA.
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Ours were Avios tickets and there was not Avios availability on the flights that they moved us to, they opened space on BA flights. I called the BA Canadian phone line, although I don't know if it makes a difference. HUCA would seem to be in order for you.
Check the booking class. You sometimes get a revenue fare bucket in cases like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does EC261 require rebooking if there's a schedule change or cancellation more than 14 days before travel or do they have the option to just give a full refund?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

For cancellations more than 14 days in advance, my reading of EU261 is that they have to offer you rebooking at the earliest possible opportunity, a full refund, or rebooking for a future date, customer's choice. They do not have to pay compensation no matter how much later you end up arriving, as long as they gave you the choices noted.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Some person
Check the booking class. You sometimes get a revenue fare bucket in cases like this.
Unfortunately, in this instance, I seem to have gotten a very competent rep as they are still showing as award tickets. It was great dealing with her as she rerouted us exactly as she should have and it maybe took 15 minutes, at the outside, to switch 6 tickets on two PNRs, but, unfortunately, no free Avios for us!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...oute-1.3814182

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...te-908774.html

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ntreal-456360/
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:28 pm

mine was an avios ticket, Dub-yul
EI called me on the day I received a cancellation message from BA and rebooked me onto BA in business LHR ORD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.