A380 and WT+

Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Anns76

What is the golden card thing?

Gold card holders can submit a Golden Ticket online or hand one to crew or any BA or BA contracted staff who they may think deserve recognition for outstanding service. You or anyone else whatever their status can also submit an online thank you at ba.com

If you Google BA Golden ticket you'll find a few results.

I've done a fair few WT Plus trips on the A380 and it's a comfortable experience bar once due to a heating issue.

The IFE is good and has USB ports as well as handy side bins. I'd try and select the front of the cabin as the food service starts from there and odd numbered seats get 2 side bins. I'll look out an old trip report to give you a visual idea. Theres more info on ba.com as well as a few threads on flyertalk.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
Gold card holders can submit a Golden Ticket online or hand one to crew or any BA or BA contracted staff who they may think deserve recognition for outstanding service. You or anyone else whatever their status can also submit an online thank you at ba.com

If you Google BA Golden ticket you'll find a few results.

I've done a fair few WT Plus trips on the A380 and it's a comfortable experience bar once due to a heating issue.

The IFE is good and has USB ports as well as handy side bins. I'd try and select the front of the cabin as the food service starts from there and odd numbered seats get 2 side bins. I'll look out an old trip report to give you a visual idea. Theres more info on ba.com as well as a few threads on flyertalk.
Thanks for the info! For my flight SFO to LHR we have seat 62A and 62B and from LHR to SFO we have 65J and 65K. I was going to see if we can change at the airport the bulk head seats only because I heard those seats are better.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by rhivolution
I’ve gone for the risky back row but then I hate inconveniencing people with reclining so prefer to have the “luxury” of not having to stress about that.
IIRC - The back three middle seats should be avoided - you are sitting in line with the entrance to the toilets and will get a lot of disturbance. The window pairs would be OK
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by rhivolution
I’m more concerned about seat choice. I’ve gone for the risky back row but then I hate inconveniencing people with reclining so prefer to have the “luxury” of not having to stress about that.
I'd definitely reconsider this on the A380 including the penultimate row too if we're talking about the middle row but window seats are ok. The middle aisle seats are literally opposite the toilet door and and you'll be last go be served, choices available may be lower but the former I can't emphasise strongly enough. Theres ample room to recline so I wouldn't worry about that and the corner seats are fine.

61 A or K are the prime seats if you can get them but they're bassinet seats though can be available from T72 but I've nabbed them before as close as T minus 5hrs so it's worth OLCI asap and not printing your BPwhich allows you to change seats. Plenty of legroom.

Last edited by PETER01; Mar 4, 2019 at 11:33 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:27 am

Flew LHR - HKG return in December, out on the A380 and back on 77W. For me, I find WTP to be a very good deal and a good bump over WT. The seat, legroom, food are all a lot better. The service in my experience is quite poor across all classes on BA, but I wouldn't say it necessarily ruins the experience.

If you are used to flying on QR, EK etc. I think BA cabin crew will be disappointing, but compared to most airlines, they are about standard.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by jah718
Flew LHR - HKG return in December, out on the A380 and back on 77W. For me, I find WTP to be a very good deal and a good bump over WT. The seat, legroom, food are all a lot better. The service in my experience is quite poor across all classes on BA, but I wouldn't say it necessarily ruins the experience.

If you are used to flying on QR, EK etc. I think BA cabin crew will be disappointing, but compared to most airlines, they are about standard.
Beside any difference in crew, neither QR or EK is offering Premium Economy on their flights, IIRC
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by onobond
Beside any difference in crew, neither QR or EK is offering Premium Economy on their flights, IIRC
Sorry, what I meant was that QR and EK cabin crew offer superior service in economy class to any BA crew in any class. Just my opinion, others may differ.I may just have been unlucky on all my flights.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I have just completed a A380 WT+ return to LAX, and I thoroughly enjoyed the flights. Going to LAX the WT+ cabin was half empty which is always nice in any cabin, but the return was totally full. I sat in the last row (seat 68D) near the toilet and the light from the toilet was a bit annoying but I could stretch and close the door. Interestingly, and maybe surprisingly, smells stayed inside the toilet The A380 is a quiet aircraft and I managed to get 5 hours of sleep on the way back to LHR.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Did return from JNB in that cabin a year or so ago and it was absolutely fine. I'd rather have been in J but it was fine for what it was. And I understand that now the catering is more like old CW so it should be decent enough value.

Now our nipper is over 2, we'll probably do a 3 by the window in WT next time until he's old enough to actually sit still in a J seat (I'll be celebrating that day for sure). The only thing I don't like when flying with the nipper is the constant stress of makingsure he's not annoying other pax, so having the 3 to ourselves in WT is probably fine for me.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Anns76
I’m flying WT+ and I’m reading a lot of negative reviews online. They are a little bit scary about bags being lost to not being able allowed a carry on and they are all recent reviews. I read that BA vamped up their service this year. After reading these horror stories I’m nervous about flying BA. Do those of you who fly often find this to be the case or should I just relax.
I don't know what reviews you are looking at, but maybe have a look at the trip report list here on Flyertalk, there are a few horror stories but mostly the experience has been positive. To put a trip report here requires thought and attention to detail. Some other places tend to be better if someone has a stream of consciousness and wants it recorded. BA takes over 50 million passengers travelling each year and even if you see 1,000 complaints that wouldn't give you much clue as to what is going on. In the Dashboard there is a link to the trip reports with a BA content to them.
Anns76 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:40 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
I'd definitely reconsider this on the A380 including the penultimate row too if we're talking about the middle row but window seats are ok. The middle aisle seats are literally opposite the toilet door and and you'll be last go be served, choices available may be lower but the former I can't emphasise strongly enough. Theres ample room to recline so I wouldn't worry about that and the corner seats are fine.

61 A or K are the prime seats if you can get them but they're bassinet seats though can be available from T72 but I've nabbed them before as close as T minus 5hrs so it's worth OLCI asap and not printing your BPwhich allows you to change seats. Plenty of legroom.
Thank you. And to @sammyg901 too. I am currently in 67B, so not middle aisle opposite the toilet, but I'll keep an eye on 61A/K opening up. I was considering pre-ordering the meal outbound to avoid the "last to be served" issue, but I don't think I'll bother. Living life on the edge!
Anns76 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.