Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Potential ATC disruption from April @ INV / Highlands & Islands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, KL Gold

Air traffic controllers at Hial vote for strike action https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47414947
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Inverness ATC strike action

HIAL ATCs have now voted for industrial action
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-47414947
while no dates have been announce yet, I thought it would be worth having a thread to keep track of any issues. This would also effect most scottish airports;
Benbecula, Dundee, Inverness, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Sumburgh and Wick John O'Groats
and so Logan codeshares would also be affected.

Last edited by Akoz; Mar 4, 2019 at 3:18 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:32 am

Thanks for the update @Akoz - I see it was you who flagged up possibility of this in post #46 of the Inverness Frequency Increase Summer 2019 thread too.

In line with FT policy I think we are supposed to provide some text along with the link, so I've copied this below. The bolding in all cases is mine:

Air traffic controllers working for Highlands and Islands Airport Limited (Hial) have voted in favour of taking strike action in a dispute over pay. Controllers who are members of the Prospect union rejected a 2% pay offer made last year. In a ballot, 88% of controllers voted for strike action with 90% backing action short of a strike. The turnout was 86%.

Seven of Hial's 11 airports would be affected by strike action. They are Benbecula, Dundee, Inverness, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Sumburgh and Wick John O'Groats. Hial is owned by the Scottish government.

'Significant impact'

Prospect said action was likely to start in April and continue through the summer. Negotiations officer David Avery said the union's members undertook highly skilled roles that were "much in demand across the UK and Europe". He said: "But due to public sector pay restraint their pay has fallen significantly behind the rest of the industry. "Prospect remains ready to negotiate at any point to avoid this action but ministers must come back to the table with a new meaningful offer." Hial's managing director Inglis Lyon said the company was disappointed controllers had chosen to take industrial action. He said it was likely to have a "significant impact" on passengers and the communities Hial serves in the Highlands and Islands.

'Generous allowances'

Mr Lyon said: "The Prospect union has sought a double-digit pay award. "As a government sponsored agency, Hial must follow the Scottish government pay policy. We cannot implement pay awards more than that directed by government." The Scottish government said it would encourage Hial and Prospect to continue dialogue in an effort to reach an agreement. A spokesman said: "Hial has implemented a pay rise for all staff, which is a significant improvement on previous years, as well as significantly increasing their contribution to their pension scheme in order to maintain this benefit for employees. "Staff also continue to receive generous annual leave, sick pay and other allowances.

"In the face of the UK government's continued budget cuts, the Scottish government delivered a distinctive and progressive pay policy for 2018/19 - one which is fair, supports those on lower incomes and protects public sector jobs and services while delivering value for money for the people of Scotland."
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:39 am

many thanks @squawk . I have also made a spelling error in the thread title, and would be grateful if a MOD could adjust.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Akoz
I have also made a spelling error in the thread title, and would be grateful if a MOD could adjust.
Best to just click on the little red triangle which will send an alert and one of the Moderators will pick it up in due course. ^
golfmad likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Well I am due to fly out of INV on 02/05 so here's hoping:

* They get it sorted out, Or
* BA let me start me journey at LHR
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
* BA let me start me journey at LHR
Hi @OverTheHorizon, there was a bit of a discussion of this in the other thread as I am due to travel ex-INV in June. I copy some of the relevant info here, as it is likely to be of use to others who have ended up on this thread.

@corporate-wage-slave noted:

If it's HIAL then I would see this as EC, BA won't have much leverage there. If a flight is cancelled there is a 300 mile rule for replacement flights - BA will say getting to that getting to that airport is for your own expense (reality may be complicated). MAN is 298 miles, LBA is 271 miles so NCL and EDI would be fine. They may also be OK to drop the sector altogether. You would have to call up the Contact Centre to do this, the App rebooking can't handle this.
@KARFA also flagged up the following:

you won't be asked to pay any APD which arises from an involuntary re-route. Unless INV is marked as being closed or severely disputed for the date of travel I wouldn't expect BA to be rebooking to avoid it though - you would probably just get a text beforehand to ask you to arrive early
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
We have flights booked to INV in June for a week in the highlands.

Aberdeen seems to be unaffected so that may be an alternative if things are not resolved before then?.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by LSunbury
Aberdeen seems to be unaffected so that may be an alternative if things are not resolved before then?.
Aberdeen is unaffected as it is not a HIAL airport and it's ATC is provided by NATS.
LSunbury likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:20 am

Strike date announced for 26th April.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-47454903
Plus there is a work-to-rule and an overtime ban from 1st April.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I am travelling ex-INV on an AA stock ticket in August. I'm positioning the day before on Avios so that can be easily changed. If the first INV-LHR flight of the AA itinerary is cancelled, who do I approach to re-route? AA or BA?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:01 am

Just a reminder ATC work to rule at HIAL airports is due to start next week and so there is the possibility of some delays. Plus there is a planned strike at the end of next month if situation is not resolved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-47733365
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
I am travelling ex-INV on an AA stock ticket in August. I'm positioning the day before on Avios so that can be easily changed. If the first INV-LHR flight of the AA itinerary is cancelled, who do I approach to re-route? AA or BA?
At the airport: BA (optionally AA, if you can call the Executive Platinum line, but should be BA in the first instance).

Some longer before departure: AA (especially if you have access to the EP line), so they can reroute you and reissue the ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:34 am

Work to Rule

Hi! I wasn’t sure which sub to post this in, I was just curious because there’s been a lot on the media about the Highlands and Islands strike happening on the 26 April but a Air traffic control ‘Work to Rule’ from 1 April to August which they’re saying could possibly be more disruptive. I have a flight on the 18 April at 7:05 AM to LHR from INV - would this come under the work to Rule? I’ve been googling but I’m really not sure what this all means! I understand that they would probably not be doing any overtime, so my flight back may be disrupted. I was just checking to see if anyone has got any info thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
This is what Prospect say it covers:

https://www.prospect.org.uk/news/id/...April-over-pay

Action short of a strike will start on 1 April and continue throughout the summer to 31 August. This will include instruction to work to rosters; refusal of non-medical extensions; an overtime ban and withdrawal of good will.
However I don't think anyone will know exactly how this would work out in practice for each flight as will depend on current staffing, rosters etc. at each airport, and all of that could vary day to day.
nancypants and pandaloverx like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.