Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Potential ATC disruption from April @ INV / Highlands & Islands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential ATC disruption from April @ INV / Highlands & Islands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by pandaloverx
Hi! I wasn’t sure which sub to post this in, I was just curious because there’s been a lot on the media about the Highlands and Islands strike happening on the 26 April but a Air traffic control ‘Work to Rule’ from 1 April to August which they’re saying could possibly be more disruptive. I have a flight on the 18 April at 7:05 AM to LHR from INV - would this come under the work to Rule? I’ve been googling but I’m really not sure what this all means! I understand that they would probably not be doing any overtime, so my flight back may be disrupted. I was just checking to see if anyone has got any info thank you!
Assuming they have enough staff to complete a full set of shifts, not much would be noticed. The issue would only be if someone calls in sick on the morning of their shift.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Some good news, it seems the strike on 26 April has been suspended pending more talks, but the work to rule continues: https://www.prospect.org.uk/news/id/...ter-ACAS-talks
squawk likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Did a INV overnight turnaround last night and no issues- I appreciate that with a work to rule they may have had no staffing issues though.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by kipperman
Did a INV overnight turnaround last night and no issues- I appreciate that with a work to rule they may have had no staffing issues though.
I've been looking at doing this- where did you stay?

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:29 am

Travelodge Stoneyfield: I got a Ł30 rate, although it’s a Ł16 taxi each way. Perfectly fine and next to a retail park with Pizza Hut etc. Also right by a wee pub that does food
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:46 am

And there is a Holiday Inn Express in more or less the same place.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:48 pm

HIE is Ł153 for the night I want!
I will take a look at that Travelodge.
There is also the Gun Lodge or similar name in Ardersier, quite close to airport
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kipperman
Travelodge Stoneyfield: I got a Ł30 rate, although it’s a Ł16 taxi each way. Perfectly fine and next to a retail park with Pizza Hut etc. Also right by a wee pub that does food
Originally Posted by Akoz
And there is a Holiday Inn Express in more or less the same place.
HIE and the Travelodge Stonyfield are are short walk from the regular bus service to the airport. The bus stop is actually outside a third hotel in the vicinity, Jury's Inn. The bus takes 20-25 minutes, runs every 30 minutes or so, and costs Ł4.50 each way.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by anniegray
HIE is Ł153 for the night I want!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
HIE and the Travelodge Stonyfield are are short walk from the regular bus service to the airport. The bus stop is actually outside a third hotel in the vicinity, Jury's Inn. The bus takes 20-25 minutes, runs every 30 minutes or so, and costs Ł4.50 each way.
We recently looked at accommodation for our trip on in mid-June (a Saturday overnight, going up by train), and started with the Jury’s Inn and HIE recommendations @corporate-wage-slave kindly provided.

​​​​​​​I was quite surprised by the Ł195-ish rate, and as @anniegray noted, other convenient options aren’t hugely cheaper. Not sure if there’s something going on that weekend to drive the prices up, or if that’s standard in summer

In the end we went for a small B&B about 10-15 min walk from the bus station, for just over Ł100. We’d rather use the extra money at our destination, and - as we plan to arrive mid-afternoon the previous day - also means we are more convenient for a nice meal and a bimble around the city.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:14 pm

Standard prices for Inverness in summer
squawk likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My perception is that there isn't enough hotel accommodation in the summer around Inverness when the tourists flood in from all over the planet. In winter on the other hand......
squawk likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:36 pm

Thank you both. Good to know for future trips... though I suppose one also risks weather disruption in winter!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by squawk
Thank you both. Good to know for future trips... though I suppose one also risks weather disruption in winter!
And for the future - there is currently a new Marriot Courtyard being build at the airport.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Stay in Strathspey

Depending on your flight times - staying in places like Grantown or Aviemore (45 mins from INV) and getting bus/train may be a cheaper option. Aviemore has a proliferation of hotels and B&Bs and on a mainline rail line. It also has the long-distance buses stopping there which go on to Inverness Bus station where you pick up the airport bus). Grantown a bit quieter but plenty B&Bs and a few hotels and a bus service to Inverness (goes round the houses a wee bit).

I’m originally from the Grantown area so saving a bit of money by friend looking after car! I’ve got a hotel booked there which was Ł70.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:54 am

Following the suspension of the strike planned for April, the Acas talks between HIAL and their ATC controllers have now broken down and a fresh strike has been announced for 23 May 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-48214747

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.